PDA

View Full Version : confused on clutch install

frosti108
08-29-2004, 12:08 AM
welli finally got back to working on my quad, and it suddenly got very confusing lol

well i got the clutch cover off, and i took the 4 bolts out of the center of the clutch, along with the 4 springs, and the plate that holds them in. this is where i got stuck. ive looked in my clymer quide and everything and cant figure what to do. theres a big nut in the center, thats uncovered when you take out the plate that i took out, and you have to somehow get that nut off. in the guide it suggests using a "honda clutch holder" or something which is probly very expensive and hard to find. i need some tips from anybody who has done this before, or maybe tell me your method of taking the nut off then getting it back on...

please help, this is very frustrating especially with all the other problems ive been having with the quad and my garage and stuff, its like the problems keep adding up and it just gets to where its like too much to handle :mad:

thanks so much,
ed

nakomis0
08-29-2004, 12:46 AM
U don't need that tool.

But you do need a compressor with and impact gun.(air wrench , air tool.. whatever you want to call it)

That takes it off real easy.

cals400ex
08-29-2004, 12:51 AM
yeah, an impact will take it right off. however, i assume your replacing the clutch basket too?? there isn't a need to remove the basket if your just replacing the fibers, steels, and springs.

frosti108
08-29-2004, 04:13 PM
no im just replacing the fibers steels and springs.

i couldnt get the fibers and steels out so i thought that locknut was holding them in...

so your saying i dont have to take that nut off to get to the fibers and steels?? :D :D :D :D

please, someone inform me on how to do this already :D

K_Fulk
08-29-2004, 04:40 PM
No they should slide right out after you get the pressure plate off.

cals400ex
08-29-2004, 06:35 PM
yep, with the pressure plate off they should come right out. just pull a little bit. also, try taking one or two out at a time. they may be somewhat "stuck" together from the oil on them.

jesshamner
08-30-2004, 01:17 AM
There is a large nut and plate that needs to be removed on the 300ex. You can go to the yamaha of troy website and look on the oem parts finder to see the diagram. You should have to take the 4 bolts and springs out and then remove the large nut. After that, the clutch plates should slide out.

frosti108
08-30-2004, 05:47 AM
^ YES. thank you, i thought i was going crazy or something...

now back to my question before, how the hell do i get this nut off?

anyone have any good methods?

thanks so much for all the help!

ed

K_Fulk
08-30-2004, 06:09 AM
A impact wrench should take it off.

frosti108
08-30-2004, 11:04 PM
u think it will take the nut off without the "honda clutch holder" thing right?

like you think it will just take that nut off so fast that it wont even try to yank the rest of the bottom end, just like instantly? if so ill just take this ***** to my gas station's shop. they have a POWERFUL one :D

cals400ex
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
you shouldn't need that clutch tool. the clutch basket is the same way on a 400ex. it will just spin without that tool. however, an impact took it off in no time.

zephead400ex
08-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Get a strap wrench, it works very well while holding the basket and impacting the nut. Worked on ledofthezep's 'shee, don't know why it wouldn't work here.

frosti108
08-31-2004, 01:31 PM
thanks a whole lot guys! i think im going to haul my quad up to my gas station and use their impact gun to do the job.

but its no rush right now since im going to send out my clutch covor and a few other parts out to get powder coated... hopefully by the time they get back ill have this god damn clutch swapped out...

but hey Zephead what is a strap wrench? maybe this would be best to use if only i knew what it was lol

thanks again,
eddie

zephead400ex
08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
Here ya go man. Just put the strap around the basket while hitting the nut w/ an impact.

frosti108
08-31-2004, 02:07 PM
GREAT idea! thanks a lot man i think thats what im gonna do.

and thanks everybody for your help! its greatly appreciated :)

when i finally get everything completed and put together ill have an update and maybe some pics :D

thanks,
ed