PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 Requirements

Toadz400
08-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I bought Doom 3 last night since I was a hardcore Doom player back in the day, and I figured my computer could handle it since it exceeds all the requirements..but it's still choppy. Even when moving the screen size to like 420x640 or w/e the smallest size is, changing the quality to low, closing out of every program, blah blah etc.

I have a Pentium 4 processer (2.7 GHz), 512MB RAM, but I have no idea what my 3D video card is...all I know is that some things are a little weird and it's very choppy when something is happening (someone talking, moving too much, etc.), so I'm assuming I might need to upgrade the RAM? I haven't gotten to the point of meeting any demons yet, because obviously I wouldn't be able to do much since there is so much lag involved.

Anyone know what I could do to fix the problem or is it just the RAM? I was thinking of upgrading to 1GB of RAM or maybe even 2, but I've checked out the chips and it's around $500 for a 1GB RAM!:eek2:

remlapr
08-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Sounds like you need to invest in one of the latest nvidia or ATI video cards.

Big400EX
08-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Your RAM is fine, the problem here sounds like you need a new Video Card that supports all of DOOM3's requirements. DOOM3 is supposed to be the game of the year and it needs top end computer hardware to run it.

www.newegg.com <--- Start here.

Big400EX
08-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Anyone know what I could do to fix the problem or is it just the RAM? I was thinking of upgrading to 1GB of RAM or maybe even 2, but I've checked out the chips and it's around $500 for a 1GB RAM!

Before you can uprgrade to more RAM you need to make sure your Motherboard can support that 1GB chip. I dont know what your talking about, you can get another 512MB card for around 140 dollars. Not 500 dolllars a piece. Unless your talking about a 1GB one but just add on.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=0&bop=and&description=512MB&InnerManu=1183

By the way, you need a new video card.

:macho

Toadz400
08-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, I customized the start up so only the things I absolutely need to have are open, and when I ran the game it was much smoother but still had that lagginess with quick movements. I plan on upgrading to a bigger RAM soon anyway, probably just an extra 512MB chip, but I guess I will need to invest in a video card too. Can anyone give me a link to a good one that's not too expensive?

batgeek
08-28-2004, 09:07 PM
yer gonna have to figure out what yer vid card is and get the latest drivers for it.

that should fix your problem.

i run D3 on my 2nd computer @1.5G Athlon T-bird with an old nVidia Gforce3 64Mb card. runs great on medium settings.

you do not need a DX9 compatible card to run D3, if your card doesn't support DX9 you just wont be able to see all the neato effects that DX9 is capable of.

I-7
08-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Right click on your desktop, click properties, then settings, then advanced, then adapter and tell me what your video card is...

p@iNn3ck
08-29-2004, 07:35 AM
I played with the settings in the config file and it smoothed the game out a ton, plus brightened it up a bunch so I could see... but the game was still a big disappointment..... nice graphics, but FAR too repetative, enemies followed the same pattern over and over again... Far Cry had much better AI.

Do a search on doomplanet or another game site for some settings to tweak, and set it up better for your vid card.... even try unpacking the pk4 files to the base folder, helped me get 60+ fps in game.

Syrus
08-29-2004, 12:18 PM
1st) Update you video card to the latest, and make sure directX 9.0 is installed, if not update it because doom needs DirectX 9 or higher to work.

2nd) If that doesnt work, then your video card is a pos, time to upgrade, buy a new ATI card, as they are made specialy made for games like doom3 or H2. (Right click on desktop > properties > Settings > Advanced (for xp users)) That should show you your video card.

THe reason why your d3 is so choppy is because of your video card, you dont need 1 gig of ram to play a game lol, 512 is more than enough for gaming. If u think u need more, think again. Chances are you need a new video card, but play with the settings and see if you can get it workin smoother. Let me know what card u got, i can tell you if u need a new one or not.

Duncanracer
08-29-2004, 12:32 PM
i'm running on a radeon 9700 Overclocked to 9800 speed, and i run on high no problem, and can even run ont he highest setting but it suffers from a tiny bit of lag sometimes...