PDA

View Full Version : Heim joint to ball joints

andrewp
08-27-2004, 09:36 PM
I currently have ASR a-arms on my 250r with the heim joints on the ends. I recently broke one after a cross country race and was wanting to replace them with ball joints. Have any of you done this? If so, who did you get them from? I'm not impressed with the heim joints reliability.

T@AFP
08-29-2004, 09:41 AM
That would be hard to do.
ASR uses 3/4-16 heim joints.
Most ball joints are 16,17mm.

Consider using a stronger chrome moly steel teflon coated heim joint.
They are much stronger than a ball joint.
They have a static load capacity of 28K.

I think the ones ASR uses are alot less capacity.

JRDrider22
08-29-2004, 09:55 AM
ball joints snap faster too but for xc i dont think its a bad idea if they can evenly match up

andrewp
09-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I had a new center section machined for me and now I'm back on four wheels. The local parts shop set me up with a Moog automotive ball joint and I think it will work, but I haven't had time to try it. If it does I'll let you know what it's off of.

03EX
09-03-2004, 09:21 PM
If that doesnt work out then go on SummitRacing.com and order a there Heim joints for truck suspention I use them on my jeep for tierod ends for rockcrawling "rated for 14,000lbs ts" and havent had to replace them yet after 4 years and there around $15. each!
hope this helps

Big - D Racing
09-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Wht would you want to replace a heim joint with a ball joint? Do you know heim have more strength and have far more move ability than a ball joint. I want to get rid of my ball joints on my arms and get heims, I wish mine came with them.