PDA

View Full Version : Head pipe Question

400extracc
08-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I i'm taking my head pipe off to mod. it (grind of welds) the manual says there is a o-ring that is in the head. I took off the head pipe and didn't see no o-ring. Any know where it is?????
are they right in the head?????

thx all:macho

400extracc
08-27-2004, 06:08 PM
anyone????????

thx:macho

quadkrazy400ex
08-27-2004, 06:21 PM
the gasket their talking about is a thin round copper gasket ring that you replace when you change your head pipe, you can order them from you local honda shop, its very soft copper so it seals between the headpipe and the head.... there will be one in each of the exhaust ports stock, i accidently put in another set over my stock ones because i couldnt see them, just take a pick or somthing and try to get the old ones out of there before putting in new ones

i believe they cost like $1.50 for 1

JOEX
08-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by *********400ex
the gasket their talking about is a thin round copper gasket ring that you replace when you change your head pipe, you can order them from you local honda shop, its very soft copper so it seals between the headpipe and the head.... there will be one in each of the exhaust ports stock, i accidently put in another set over my stock ones because i couldnt see them, just take a pick or somthing and try to get the old ones out of there before putting in new ones

i believe they cost like $1.50 for 1
I did the same thing:o :p

I used a screwdriver to get the old ones out.

TC426EX
08-27-2004, 11:32 PM
yeah make sure you replace those every time you take the header off. You might just wanna buy like 4 of em so you have them. Dont know if its true or not, but Ive been told that if you heat those up real hot and drop them in oil they expand back out a little and you can use them again. Never tried it, and for a couple bucks I would just get new, but thats what Ive been told...

ewalker302
08-28-2004, 05:42 AM
I did not know that. When I did that (grind) I guess I just reused the old ones. They don't seem to be leaking at all.

:bandit:

speedy
08-28-2004, 03:10 PM
why would it matter if the headpipe was leaking alittle bit?

Cody_300ex
08-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by speedy
why would it matter if the headpipe was leaking alittle bit?

1.its a good way to bend a valve(s) 2. you'll lose power

quadkrazy400ex
08-28-2004, 09:39 PM
if its just a little leak, you wont bend a valve, but if its a pretty good leak there is a possibility of bending a valve

if you have an exhaust leak, youll run a little on the lean side too

just go order a couple and put em in, its no big deal to do and if your like me i hate to listen to an exhaust leak

400extracc
08-28-2004, 10:03 PM
SHAT, i put head pipe back on before i read this post. i will order few new o-rings on monday. i started her up and no leaks, but i will replace them anyway.......thx all:macho

speedy
08-28-2004, 10:21 PM
could that be y my valves are rateling when it is at idle speed

quadkrazy400ex
08-28-2004, 11:37 PM
no, your valves probably just need adjusting, has it ever been done yet to your bike?

speedy
08-29-2004, 12:35 AM
well i had the top end rebuilt and i figured they might have adjusted them while they done that but other then that no i havnt had um adjuted. what will it do if u dont adjust them

quadkrazy400ex
08-29-2004, 03:40 PM
if their not adjusted properly, you wont get the maximum lift out of your valves, and the bike wont run as good as if they were adjusted properly. the closer you are to the right adjustments on your vavles the better the bike will run.