PDA

View Full Version : need mx mod list

440exmotoxer
08-26-2004, 07:09 PM
well i have about 4,000$ to put into my 400ex. right now it has a 440 kit, nerfs, renthal bars, yoshi pipe, rear holeshots, and dg front bumper. it will be a strait mx quad that ill also be trying to do fmx shows on too. i get 20% discount on all my parts from a sponsor so if yall could throw up a mod list that would be great. it needs to be able to pull holeshots on slightly modded 450s. thanks guys

JRDrider22
08-26-2004, 07:13 PM
long travel a-arms with axis
+2 axle
+2 or +1.25 swingarm
race front plastics
rear axis shock

smith_400ex_213
08-26-2004, 10:24 PM
get soem hiPer tech carbonfiber rims...alluminumm air box...Ceet Gripper seat....some Kumho grooved front tires....RPM dominator axle...Houser LT a-arms with custom axis to go around...houser steering stem....cool lookin air fins....o yea gusset the frame up....O.D.I locking grips...Web Cam....Port and Polish...Hi Rev CDI....sanblast and PC ur frame...steering stabilizer... just some ideas

skysolo16
08-26-2004, 11:20 PM
take everything they said, add balls, and there ya go.

TC426EX
08-27-2004, 06:50 AM
well, if this is gonna be a strict MX EX then you want to make it as wide and powerful as possible... If you got a 440 kit and just added a piston kit to it then you also want to add a cam and get it ported and polished. Then go with a 39mm FCR carb. The porting and the carb will make a big difference in the motor and give you more power to be competitive with the new bikes... If you dont have a full exhaust you will need that too, slip on wont cut it...

Minus the exhaust, the porting and carb will run you about 800 if you get the carb used. Now for MX, handling is the biggest issue you need to take care of otherwise the power of the motor is worthless... You need a set of +3 or +3+1 A-arms of a good brand (stay away from ASR and the cheapies...) A good set of Laeger long travel is about 650. Get a +1.25" swingarm to help keep the power on the ground so you dont wheelie off holeshots and on straights. A good used one goes for around 400 bucks. Stay away from Lonestar and cheapies for the swingarm theyll just crack. So total right now is lookin around 1900. That leaves a big chunk for shocks. You wanna go with a good set of PEP/Elka/Axis shocks preferably ZPS longtravel. Fronts will run you around 900 and so will the rear unless you get a used set, then youll be able to get them for around 1300 for both but make sure theyre set up for you.

The mods for handling are MANDATORY. You wont be going anywhere in MX without the chassis/suspension mods, and the porting on the motor is pretty non negotiable too. If you dont have an axle, youll need a +4 axle for MX of reputable brand. This should bring you around the amount of money you have to spend. Dont waste money on cosmetics like plastic and what not right now. If youre trying to race a 400ex in MX youll need to turn your money into straight performance gains first to be competitive. Sorry for the long post but figured this would help ya...

440exmotoxer
08-27-2004, 09:07 PM
man thanks alot. that helped a ton. im gonna make a mod list and post it and if yall know of any chages that should be made then let me know. my parents were wanting to buy me a yfz for my birthday this year but instead we bought the ex and the money was there for the yfz. the ex was going to be for my mom to trail ride on. the guy we bought it from has brand new plastic for it so that wont be an issue. neways ill post up the mod list soon. thanks alot guys

440exmotoxer
08-27-2004, 09:38 PM
heres the list...

piston kit-$150 <--need help with brand

long travel tripple rate elkas w/ rezzies-$1900 <--im guessing on price

need help on what exhaust system -guessing $500

+3w long travel houser a arms-$950

lonestar +4 axle- $405

ITP T9 beadlocks-$800

IMS Steering Stem- $350

im not really sure what gusseting my frame is but its $150+ help me with that one too

thats all i can think of for right now. please add to this list and help me out

that puts me at $5205 that more than i have to spend so just modify this list. i have 4000$

muddy400EX
08-28-2004, 08:10 PM
that sounds like a good set up. for the exhaust i would go with curtis sparks. and do you already have mx tires on it.

440exmotoxer
08-28-2004, 09:15 PM
yeah well can someone put that in what they think would b like the best to get first and so on. like priorities. know suspension, a arms and axle. change those itp t9s to hiper beadlocks. i need a brand for the piston kit and the price of long travel triple rated elkas w/ rezzies. and what does gusseting your frame do?? oh yea i hate that the grab bar is welded to the frame and i own a fmx ramp building company so i do alot of welding. do yall think it would be ok to try to cut the existing grab bar off and try to weld mounts for a new aftermarket grab bar? i also need help on good mx tires to go on the hiper beadlocks ok wells heres the current mod list

renthal bars
grips
440 kit
yoshi off road pipe (not great for mx)
ac nerfs
dg bumper
rear holeshots
skids
k&n air filter
im pretty sure thats it

Kilabanshee
08-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Sell your 400ex! Get a new 450 which ever one you like throw and exhaust, airfilter, and a cam for around 700 bucks. You will have a really nice quad with enough ball to probobly take anything out there. Then if you want do suspension ect.

Ive bought my quad for 4,200 put 2,000 into the motor and body and 1,000 in suspension I tryed selling it for 3,700 and got no offers. Really its not worth dumping all this money into your quad because in the end it will end up biting you in the arse.

Florida400EX
08-29-2004, 04:02 PM
The prices you posted were way over priced. I'll write up a good list.

1- Houser Long travel a-arms, $750
2- Elka Longtravel front shocks, $900
3- Elka rear shock, $700 ish....
4- Houser + 1 1/4 swingarm, $600
5- Denton Steering Stablizer, $140
6- Hotcam stage 2, $120
7- porting, contact mike boone on this site, it's around $300 for a head already ported
8- FCR 40mm carb, $450 ish.....
9- TC exhaust, $350

That should be at or around $4000. Good luck.

400-416EX
08-30-2004, 07:52 PM
For your axel I would go with rpm dominator rather than the lonestar. Tcs shocks are a bit less expensive and work really well. I hear alot of guys in here use the fcr carbs, I myself like the edelbrock quicksilver. Hipers instead of the t-9's. get a antivibe sterring stem and clamp with tag bars. Gusseting is when they weld suports to your frame so it will be much stronger. Uni air filter. With all the mods you will want a rev box, maybe some galfer braided brake lines. For tire you can either go with the holeshot mx or the kenda klaws. Thats about all I can think of, hope it helps. Good luck building let us know how it goes