PDA

View Full Version : HRC power up kit ??

GangStaR
08-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Hello, I installed a HRC power up kit in my buddies 450 last night. everything went smooth with the install but i couldn't find anywhere to adjust the valve clearence??? all i see is the decompression clearence adjuster. I started it and it started ticking. so I shut it down and looked again and couldn't find anywhere to adjust the valves? please help. if you put this kit on let me know what is up? he may take it to the stealership tonight if we dont figure it out. could it be 180 out? or would it even run? it wasn't backfiring just ticking pretty good like it needs valve adjustment.
thanks in advance for any help

benwa450r
08-26-2004, 12:24 PM
It probably needs valves adjusted. Adjustment is NOT like 400EX. It is a shim-under-bucket adjustment. The tappet that the cam lobe hits has a spacer with a number on it. Changing out spacer with correct size is adjustment. You can check by putting a feeler guage between cam lobe and tappet. If you are not familiar with shim spacers, it is hard to understand. Can't help you with thickness numbers.

benwa450r
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Numbered spacer is between tappet ( underneath ) and top of valve stem.

35charlie
08-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Read my post (and pic) here

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1690

The intake shims are like the exhaust ones and are under the buckets. Sometimes they stick to the oil up inside the buckets when you pull the cam.

Make sure the shims are still there, if you dropped one out when you pulled the cam, you'd best find it. :)