PDA

View Full Version : boots or no boots?

ex4evr
08-26-2004, 02:13 AM
do u have to have boots to race cause i cant where them i dont feel comfortable i cant shift right with them is it just me or is there anybody else like that?

Bill Fuller
08-26-2004, 05:10 AM
No you don't HAVE to have boots to race but you do need ankles to walk.Learn to ride with boots before its to late.If you have the money buy you some boots.I feel like boots are almost as important a helmet.I never ride without boots.

Flynbryan19
08-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
No you don't HAVE to have boots to race but you do need ankles to walk.Learn to ride with boots before its to late.If you have the money buy you some boots.I feel like boots are almost as important a helmet.I never ride without boots.

Ditto. It just takes time to get comfortable in them. Its like second nature now. I feel naked w/o them when I ride.

SSRedRider
08-26-2004, 06:43 AM
Before I started wearing riding boots (alpinestars) I broke my ankle when I went over the bars and the quad landed on it. I also broke that small bone on top of your foot another time. Also got the dirt bike down and broke the same bone on the other foot. Since I have been wearing riding boots I havent broke any bones in my feet. They are great insurance that you can still walk after riding. Don't ride without them.

daddio
08-26-2004, 07:00 AM
DITTO ON ALL ABOVE. everybody that rides should wear mx style boots. the more support the better. I broke my ankle wearing a cheap pair of old answer boots. I now wear tech 8's. great support, and I have'nt broken anything below my knee, since.
not wearing boots, hurts everyone, because injuries go up, and that reflects on the reports that people use to show how bad atv's are.
LEARN TO RIDE WITH BOOTS! adjust your controls, riding style, etc. eventually you will get used to it.

I-7
08-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by ex4evr
do u have to have boots to race cause i cant where them i dont feel comfortable i cant shift right with them is it just me or is there anybody else like that?

The reason your not comfortable and you cant shift with them is because your not used to them or their not broken in yet. Wear them around the house for an hour or so and get comfortable in them. Sometimes you may have to move your shifter up some notches from the stock setting also.

dirtmomma
08-26-2004, 10:08 AM
WEAR BOOTs!!!! It took me about a year to break my A'stars in BUT I can't really ride w/o boots anymore, just don't feel safe it's always best to wear the right equipement!! As Daddio mentioned the accident factor ;)

Johnny & Monica
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
ama rule if you race ama races.

montyjcm
08-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Yeah, at first, it is kinda hard to shift. You will get the hang of it, though.

montycarlo
08-28-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm all for safety, but the $300 price tag on a pair of boots has me rather disgusted with the manufactures of them. I look at them and I cannot see where they are worth $300. (yea yea an ankle is priceless I know, but I'm not made of money, either :rolleyes: ) Would anybody know of a good boot and boot source out there that doesn't cost 23 hours of my time at work to earn the funds to pay for?

Craig02
08-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ex4evr
Try moving your shift lever up.

theTman
08-28-2004, 03:46 PM
i never ride w/o my boots unless im moving my quad a few feet...i feel naked w/o em

SSRedRider
08-30-2004, 06:26 AM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by montycarlo [ Would anybody know of a boot and boot source out there that doesn't cost 23 hours of my time at work to earn the funds to pay for?

I have bought good boots off of ebay for less than half the cost of new boots.]

montycarlo
08-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by SSRedRider

I have bought good boots off of ebay for less than half the cost of new boots.

Shoot I never thought to look in the store that sells everything! :blah:

Thanks!

Flynbryan19
08-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Fox sells Mx boots for under $250, and there are many companies like Thor, Oneal, Msr, etc that sell boots for under $200. They're out there. Just look around.

400-416EX
09-01-2004, 05:49 PM
I used to ride with no boots when I got my first quad. It only took once to get my foot under the back tire, and I will never ride without them again. Buy some get used to wearing them, and wear them all the time you ride

montycarlo
09-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I just bought a Dyna CDI box for my Warrior from sweetquads.com ~ their customer service is top-rate and I also happened to notice that they have 4 models of O'Neal boots for a hundred bucks and down! :cool: