PDA

View Full Version : Question on sprockets??

stlhondarider
08-25-2004, 08:39 PM
:( ...I have a 14 tooth up front and stock in the rear...im hitting the rev limmiter way to quick....I was planning on putting stock sprocket back up front ...But i dont wana loose the great power out of the hole the 14 tooth gives me...what do i do??

JOEX
08-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Start in 2nd and shift sooner:D

A larger rear sprocket might be a way to go. I think the exchange is 3 teeth larger is almost equal to one tooth smaller in the front. Maybe go one or two teeth larger in the rear.

A change in tire diameter wiil have a similar effect.

cals400ex
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
if the main problem is your hitting the rev limiter but you like low end power and top end isn't a concern, you could leave that sprocket on and just buy an aftermarket cdi box to raise the rpm limit. i would also start in 2nd gear with that gearing. 1 tooth change up front is = 2.5 teeth change in the rear.

TC426EX
08-26-2004, 06:19 AM
I would go to a 37 tooth in the rear and if you dont have a CDI box, you need it... The stock 400ex CDI is WORTHLESS....

Toadz400
08-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
A larger rear sprocket might be a way to go. I think the exchange is 3 teeth larger is almost equal to one tooth smaller in the front. Maybe go one or two teeth larger in the rear.

Actually, I think what you meant to say is move down a few teeth in the rear to accomodate for the tooth dropped in the front. Otherwise he is just going to be hitting that rev limiter even sooner with that gearing.

stlhondarider
08-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanx for the info guys....im gona work on it this friday and ill tell ya how it goes...

JOEX
08-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Actually, I think what you meant to say is move down a few teeth in the rear to accomodate for the tooth dropped in the front. Otherwise he is just going to be hitting that rev limiter even sooner with that gearing.
stlhondarider stated that he was planning on putting the 15 tooth back on so I recommended going to a larger rear sprocket which would give a slightly higher gear ratio than the 14 tooth front with the stock rear.

I suppose I could have been a little more clear about that.;)

Toadz400
08-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
stlhondarider stated that he was planning on putting the 15 tooth back on so I recommended going to a larger rear sprocket which would give a slightly higher gear ratio than the 14 tooth front with the stock rear.

I suppose I could have been a little more clear about that.;)

Oh, okay. That makes it much more clearer...I thought you were saying that moving up a tooth in the rear would give him less botoom end. I thought you would know better;) .