PDA

View Full Version : 450r owners might want to read this

Hammer trx450r
08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
SO WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?
It is possible for the transmission cavity to come up short on its oil allotment. How so? The CRF450’s total oil capacity is 670cc at assembly and 590cc at draining (some oil stays in the gearbox). Since oil is added to the transmission through the filler cap on the clutch cover, the CRF engine will only accept 400cc of oil before the oil runs out of the CRF’s check hole. If you stop filling the CRF when the oil runs out of the check hole, it will only have 400cc of oil in it instead of 590cc. Once the engine is started, the oil will be slung up to the tranny, but it will not be enough oil. What will happen? In a worst-case scenario, a gearbox failure. In a best-case scenario, failure of the kickstart idler gears.

SO WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
So, what should you do? Here is a possible solution. When you are changing the CRF’s transmission oil, fill the clutch up to the check hole and then start the engine and let it run for three minutes (on the stand). Turn the engine off and wait three more minutes. Now, refill the clutch cavity with the additional oil.
A better fix would be to measure out at least 600cc of oil into a graduated beaker and then not ride your CRF450 until you get all 600cc into the tranny. If you have split the cases or cleaned the cases out with solvent, use 670cc.

Anyone actually check this on the trx's?

08-25-2004, 06:39 PM
I always measure out 600cc and pour it in. I have never taken out the check plug.

quadrcr161
08-25-2004, 07:17 PM
i thought this was talked about when the 450 was 1st released, ive been filling mine, check it, let it run and then check it again every time.

08-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i thought this was talked about when the 450 was 1st released, ive been filling mine, check it, let it run and then check it again every time.

You are right it has been dicussed before. Not everyone has had theirs since January like me.

Honda Jay
08-25-2004, 07:45 PM
So, are you just keeping the sight plug in and "over filling" past it?

Hammer trx450r
08-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Thats what i was doing until i figured out the sight hole. But i haven't been checking after running it

08-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Honda Jay
So, are you just keeping the sight plug in and "over filling" past it?

I have never pulled the check plug out of the transmission side. I just drain and pour in 600cc.

4TRAXEX
08-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the update or reminder. As was mentioned many of us have not had our 450's as long as some and this is valuable information.

While we are on the subject, what is a good replacement interval? Every engine oil change? Longer? I can't go by the manual because Honda's suggested intervals are rediculously long! I'm glad they have faith in their machine, but lets be reasonable!:huh

08-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I change my engine oil everytime I ride. I change the oil filter and transmission oil every other time I ride.

08-25-2004, 09:57 PM
i change my transmission oil every 2 months & my oil & oil filter every month

trick450r
08-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
You are right it has been dicussed before. Not everyone has had theirs since January like me.

jw when exactly did you get yours... i had the first one in connecticut on january 14.....

bcurry940
08-26-2004, 08:18 AM
So basically to sum up what has been stated in this thread:
When changing oil in the gear box, fill it past the sight plug? Measuring out 600cc and pouring that in instead of using the sight plug? Or can you run it for 3 minutes like stated earlier and then just fill it up again to the sight plug level? I'm not to clear on this...If anyone can clearify this it would be greatly appriciated.

08-26-2004, 08:23 AM
i have always draine dit al lout...then took the sight plug out & added the oil untill some came out of the sight plug...then I let it idle for like 3 minutes...then I take the sight plug out again & add more until more comes out of the sight plug then I ride for 2 months....is this correct?

bcurry940
08-26-2004, 08:25 AM
That sounds correct from what I understand. I have yet to change my tranny oil so I want to get it right the first time. If some onewith a little more expertice could give some input.....

Wayne64SS
08-26-2004, 08:42 AM
you guys prolly just saved my tranny. i appretiate the super valuable info tahts why i come here ;) thanks to who posted. i am gonna change my tranny oil again asap and do it right this time ;)

roughrider01
08-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Is this way different then what the owners manual says, doesnt seem like it to me.

Hammer trx450r
08-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Ya all are welcome, some people don't read manual for oil change. For those that know this already, don't need to post how great they are:eek2: . I posted it to remind anyone who didn't know, and by the reactions i say it was a good post

red2004 TRX450R
08-26-2004, 11:27 AM
I hate the check hole!!! mine don't work!!!
what I do is dump about 1/2 a quart in her.
ride it around for like 5 min. and check add a lillte more.
no oil will ever come out unless i blow into the filler hole, then oil shoots out the check hole. WTF!!!

I think the check hole is Fuing stupid!!!!!!
my dealer told me to but XXX cc in it and go.
But i forgot what cc he told me and i dont have any thing to measure it with,

so mine is all ways over filled i bit. I Think!!

Its just a junk quad i dont care if it brakes Ill just get a new one any way!!

08-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R

Its just a junk quad i dont care if it brakes Ill just get a new one any way!! good attitude ;) i take it mommy or daddy bought your quad prob. & will be the ones fixing it? :rolleyes:

MY450R
08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
yeah i hope hes not talking about the 450r
if so you should give it to me and ill have two
jnunk quad my god are you stupid? dont answer cause i already know im not even gonna bother tearing you up cause you just aint worth my time

sulnz450r
08-26-2004, 01:00 PM
What kind of tranny oil are you guy's using ?? Just curious.

08-26-2004, 01:11 PM
honda tranny stuff in the weird red bottle

red2004 TRX450R
08-26-2004, 02:21 PM
I allso use the red honda stuff!!

what i ment is i check my trany the right way. so i dont have to werry about it.

but the check hold is junk? any one have proplems with it!!

and they are not junk - if it brakes and i did it the right way then yes I would sell it and ge a new one.

and NO my parents did not buy it for me, I did, but american honda finance owns it right now!!!

quadrcr161
08-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
no oil will ever come out unless i blow into the filler hole, then oil shoots out the check hole. WTF!!!

a junk quad huh? :rolleyes: how old are you?? must be nice to just be able to throw things away.

Hammer trx450r
08-26-2004, 02:28 PM
guys just picture the idiot blowing air into the filler hole:blah:

4TRAXEX
08-26-2004, 02:31 PM
I wonder how that stuff tastes?:eek2:

(Thanks again for the tip Hammer):D

red2004 TRX450R
08-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I just said that to get u guys going.
and it worked

I think Hondas are great!!!

love mine and that is the only complant I have with mine.

:devil: :eek2:

Hammer trx450r
08-26-2004, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
[B]I just said that to get u guys going.
and it worked

I think Hondas are great!!!

love mine and that is the only complant I have with mine.

LMFAO

ProConcept
08-26-2004, 10:26 PM
so just pour in 600 ccs instead of checking it over and over?

RIDER11X
08-26-2004, 11:16 PM
This is great info.....wonder how this conflict with oil level slipped though the cracks at Honda?
And, not having anything to measure 600cc's with is such a lame excuse considering what these machines cost. Spend $5 on a measuring cup at a shop, or $1 at the dollar store! Better than a tore up tranny! :eek2:

Antnee77
08-27-2004, 12:00 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I thought that post was hilarious. I think that was the first time I have laughed out loud alone at my PC. hahahahaahahha