PDA

View Full Version : Dirt tires in sand?

2001-400ex'er
08-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I think i am going to Silver Lake next year and i was wondering if dirt tires would work in the sand (I am only going once so it doesnt pay to buy sand tires). Right now I have Fast Trekkers but i am ordering Holeshots pretty soon, would these work alright? Anything else I should know to do to my 400ex would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot

dirtmomma
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I don't see why you would have a problem, we just got back from the dunes & I ran my Duro flattrack tires :eek: w/ radials up front, my brother ran Maxxis RAzr2's all the way around my sister in law had fasttreckers on rear, the only thing we had paddles on was our blaster!! We ran regular Razrs on our 400 a few yrs back thats what we would of ran this time too but it didn't go. You should not have a problem @ all just let the air outta them. HAVE FUN the dunes ARE A BLAST!!!!

400exdad
08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
When we went to Little Sahara in 2001, the Ohtsu's worked great with about 1.5 to 2.0 lbs. of air.... until the sand dried out. After that, the paddles were the way to go. Don't get me wrong, you'll still get around without paddles, the problems occur at slow speed on some of the steep dunes or when you try to get going again and the sand is really soft (dry) near the peak of the dunes where everyone likes to park and watch the action. Have Fun! :D I wish we lived nearer some dunes!

400exdad
08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
I just re-read you post. Do yourself a favor and switch to some synthetic oil (I use red cap Mobil 1). The dunes use up a ton of power and make the motor run pretty warm, plus you'll be in the high rpm's most of the time. The synthetic holds up better to me.

2001-400ex'er
08-25-2004, 11:58 AM
How do you know that i dont use systhetic? Well good guess cause i dont but after i rebuilt it this winter that all im gonna run.

2001-400ex'er
08-25-2004, 12:01 PM
What about my gearing, right now I have stock gearing but I am probably going to get 18 in tires so i would put on a 36 rear sprocket to make up for the lost speed. haha sorry my spelling sucks

SHOCKER
08-25-2004, 03:49 PM
its better to have a lower gearing in the dunes, alot more bottom end, and for the tires, your nobbies will work ok, but you will want to air them down, for more traction

brif
08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
My buddy ran some razr's on a raptor and got around ok. I ran the stock ohtsu's on a 400ex a few years ago and they were ok also. Just with the holeshots, don't expect to win too many drags.(with any dirt tire against similar paddle tired quads). I'd look around for a used set of paddles on rims. I go once a year to silverlake. In the beginning we said we'd probly only go once now we are going twice a year, that was 3 years ago.
The alternative is when you get there you could go buy a set from david allen racing but since it's right next to the parking lot expect to pay alittle more........good luck

bulkdriverlp
08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
if ya want good info bout silverlake go to www.michigandirtslingers.com alot of us go to the dunes almost every weekend. youl get the answers you need.