PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the air box

intruder
08-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Does anybody else have this happen to him or her? Oils getting into the air box, I know how it's getting there just don't know why. It's getting sucked up through the breather hose that connects to the engine next to the starter. Is this normal or is something else happening to cause this any help would be appreciated.

daddio
08-25-2004, 07:04 AM
if you're lucky, you probably just put too much oil in the motor, and it's blowing the excess thru the breather.
did you stand the quad up on the grab bar for a long time?
if so, some oil probably ran into the breather chamber.
otherwise, you probably have "blow-by" from worn rings or bad valve seals. take the hose off the motor, down by the starter, and plug the hole with your finger, while the bike is running. is there alot of pressure?

intruder
08-25-2004, 08:02 AM
There's pressure but how would this be blow by I'm trying to understand. If the rings were bad or the valve seals were bad wouldn't the quad smoke out the pipe? I can’t see how the valve seals being bad would cause this; maybe bad rings but I could check compression for this. The quad still runs super. I’ll check compression tonight.

daddio
08-25-2004, 08:32 AM
if your bike still runs "super" then I would just clean out the vent hose and box real good, double check my oil level and put it back together.
the nature of blow-by allows pressure into the crankcase, but does not allow oil into the cyl. some pressure is normal in a 4-stroke. that's why cars have the "pcv" valve.
I did notice that alot of flat track guys are re routing the breather hose into a can instead of the air box, probably because of the nature of flat track is causing oil to enter the breather tube.
happy riding.

intruder
08-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks I'm going to watch it again tonight and see what happens if it needs rings it needs rings. I was just trying to get through the season before a tear down.