PDA

View Full Version : Whats the problem with the Pros

velocityatv
08-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I've been noticing that almost every race theres a few yfz's bowing out. Does anyone know if it's from common problems? I can understand pros cranking every bit of umph out of there motors and loosing some reliability in the process. But what seems to be the common problem? Is it just set-up error or parts faliure....... Just curious, if anyone knows? :confused:

400grl
08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Keep in mind that none of the Pro's are racing a stock engine - they are all highly modified, and modified to the hilt......anytime you to that to an engine, you are going to lose reliability.....add to that being ridden extremely hard, and it's just a matter of time. All of the makers have had engine issues at the Pro level....Doug gets a new engine every couple of races (so I've heard)...you know Honda has a ton of money, so who knows how often they work on theirs......

The problem is....we, the public, don't know the facts about who's doing what to what engines....who actually is getting new engines....how many times they are rebuilt....who is racing on the same engine the whole series....how many rebuilds they are getting.....all that important stuff. We just don't know. All we knowi s what we see....and what we hear......

Also...take into account the number of YFZ's compared to the rest of the quads in the Pro classes....and of course there will be more problems due to sheer numbers/ratio factors, although I am noticing more and more colors out there these days!

I have had zero issues with my YFZ.......had zero issues with my Banshee, too.....had zero issues with my Honda (except my stupid oil filter bolts I kept twisting off!).....

I'd go with what you see around you.....with your friends quads, local races....etc.......don't base stuff on the Pro racers machines....it's a whole different ball game!

velocityatv
08-25-2004, 06:57 PM
I understand all that and put it into perspective. But all I'm asking is if somebody has heard anything, for example : Curtis sparks motors are having a problem with the cams going flat, or Lrd is having a problem with overheating... and so on. Just checking to see if anyone has heard of anything. It'd be nice to hear from some professional engine builders who have built many of these and let us in on the does and don'ts. I would rank my knowledge of engine building as a 8.5 out of ten. I live in the middle of no were aka: IOWA just wanting to learn some HP tips from some serious builders.

jlhughes750
08-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Not all the Pros YFZ's were built to the hilt!!

John Natalie's East Coast ATV machine ran flawless all year, maybe its just maintnence that got a few people down???? I do know that these things are senstive to dirt and heat... Southwick for example, alot were overheating due to the lug of the sand , not to mention the sand getting everywhere!!! This was the first full season that everyone raced these YFZ's so there were a few things that got worked out.

later, J

more on this later.

400grl
08-27-2004, 10:13 AM
I was thinking of Natalie's YFZ when I posted that.....I know he doesn't have the level of maching support many of the Pro's do.....and his quad has been great, or so it has seemed throughout the series........I think alot has to do with the way you ride and how you treat your stuff, too.

YamaWarr0121
08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
tim farr's quad cracked a piston in southwick and a few other times he had non engine problems..

roostin_dale
08-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Keep in mind that none of the Pro's are racing a stock engine -

all except Jason Luburgh....all he has is TC porting, TC exhaust and a filter...he even has the stock piston! And fnishing 10th overall, missing one race and a few DNF's...now thats a good rider!

4TraxRider
08-31-2004, 06:06 PM
I cracked my piston this sunday racing.:grr:

velocityatv
08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
fill me in. Any other details? did you have motor work? Overheat?..... or just go boom.

raptor_02
09-02-2004, 10:43 PM
I had a 13/1 piston in my YFZ and had the Exhaust cam retarded a tooth. I blew it up a few weeks ago. The piston was cracked and the head was scarred up all because I didnt check the oil. The YFZ holds 1.96 quarts of oil and I had probaly .75 quarts in it. :grr: I'll check the oil next time.