PDA

View Full Version : I'll be old and gray before Houser finishes my a-arms

SoonerYFZ
08-24-2004, 07:14 PM
I ordered long travel XC a-arms from Houser on July 20th and after having been told that they will be done by the "end of the week" for the last 3 weeks I'm beginning to wonder if they have any intention at all of sending my a-arms to me.

For a company that seems to have nearly everyone's respect they sure have dropped the ball for me.

A word of caution to any one that is thinking about buying from Houser... Inquire with them first about whether the item is in stock or not. If they tell you it will be available by the end of the week, count on at least a month.

southbeach14
08-25-2004, 09:32 AM
i got mine in a week from motorcycle-superstore.com

they were 593.00 reg and 750 for yours

thump4863
08-25-2004, 10:17 AM
I had the same problem with them....I waited a month and I had enough so I called and cancelled. Then about 2 months after that it showed up at my door :rolleyes: Then I had to go through the hassel of sending it back and it took them forever to credit my account back....I'll never deal with them again

Pappy
08-25-2004, 10:19 AM
i know this doesnt help...or even makes a good excuse, but ALL the manufactures seem to run thru spells where they cant meet demand.:(

jlhughes750
08-26-2004, 07:42 AM
I know a place that has XC long travel arms in stock for the YFZ...

I won't highjack your post though, don't want to get the boot:D

later

Pappy
08-26-2004, 07:46 AM
J.....

you should get gibson to see some of the TT pics in the NQRA section. there is some great pics of that set up

sharkinthepool
08-26-2004, 08:05 AM
I won't highjack your post though, don't want to get the boot:D

later [/B][/QUOTE]

I do not understand????

Did I miss something in the site when I signed up??? Why would you get the boot?:confused:

jlhughes750
08-26-2004, 08:44 AM
I just meant that I did not want to hijack his thread to tell everyone about a great deal on XC YFZ A Arms from Gibson that use 18 inch shocks and are in stock and ready to ship.....

And Pappy, yes that set up works great for TT, thanks for the exposure.

sharkinthepool
08-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Got ya! Thanks man, did not understand that at first.

hondakiller
08-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Whats the set up from Gibson run??

SoonerYFZ
09-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Well I finally got my long travel +.5 XC arms from Houser yesterday. They look pretty amazing... and its also interesting how finally getting the product tends to lessen the anger you feel towards the company. As soon as I get them mounted I'll post some pics... I don't feel like messing with getting the ball joints out of the spindles without the right tool so it might be a day or two.

jbplayfz450
09-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Where's those pics?

Lethalhonda2
09-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Where's those pics?
I am thinking about getting some too. If you can take a pic of the needle bearing setup. I'm soooo sick of these plastic bushings

Sc0
09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
What's wrong with the plastic bushings? Do they use a steel insert for the middle? I only ask this because my ARS/FX arms use the plastic bushings...

When I ordered a Houser LT rear for my KFX I received it a week later. As I understand it some manufacturers wait until they have a certain amount of orders before they produce the next batch, yours could have been in this process. As for the Shipping info, that irritates me and so far on about 40% of stuff that I order ATV stuff or not I end up waiting past deadline after deadline... In the end I am enthusiastic with the product and forget about all the waiting.

SoonerYFZ
09-05-2004, 03:06 PM
OK here are the pictures right before I finished... all thats left is to set the camber and I'm not really sure how to figure out the degree of camber yet so I haven't tightened up the jam nut on the top ball joint.

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/houser1.JPG

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/houser2.JPG

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/houser3.JPG

SoonerYFZ
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Finished mounting them up...

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/houser5.JPG

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/houser6.JPG

Now I just need to actually ride on them instead of taking pictures LOL

jbplayfz450
09-07-2004, 11:52 AM
THAT"S FRIGGIN SWEET!

You went all out with the Axis shocks too.:cool:

If you dont mind, give us a review after you get some seat time on it.

09-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but arn't they caster adjustable with some kinda shims? I just wonder how that works what do the shims look like?

SoonerYFZ
09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
The shims look like thick washers that go between the top a-arm and the mount... either the front or back depending if you want to scoot the top a-arm forward or back. You get 1 1/8 inch shim and 2 1/4 inch shims. The stock config is the 1/8 in front and both 1/4's in the back and that is what I am running since caster preference can change from track to track.

Here are pictures of the front shim and rear shims... kinda blurry because I tried to get real close LOL.

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/frontshim.JPG

http://members.cox.net/sooneryfz/rearshim.JPG

so all you have to do to change the caster is unbolt the top a-arm and slide the shims out and re-arrange them. You can't run without them though because they are what make top a-arm flush inside the mounts.

Steven
09-14-2004, 08:45 PM
mine came from houser 3 days after i ordered them.. that was 2 weeks ago...

the +2 standard travels are also caster and camber adjustable, which suprised me because i had read that they were only camber adjustable.... pleasant suprise!

they work great with the oem shocks btw. no bottoming, even on the 80' table top and 15' high jumps at my local mx track.

fit and finish was OEM and they tranformed the handleing. no more bump steer!!!!!!!!!!!! yes!

5valves
09-14-2004, 09:33 PM
I bent the hell out of my stering stem a week before the first GNCC in Texas. I called them and ordered one on Monday, they didnt have any powdercoated yet. I told them I was heading to Texas on thursday and that was the last day I could get it.
It was on my door step Wed.
top notch too.
My long travel A-arms will be Housers.
My budy has a set just like yours with elka's he got his shocks and A-arms within 2 weeks from C&D
:macho

coorsinmyc-bak
09-22-2004, 07:58 AM
my friend had purchased a set of stock length(+0 +0) a arms from houser about a month ago.the upper ball joint nut has rubbed almost all of the way through his shock resevoirs.we have called houser time and time again,with no luck.finally after about 2 weeks of calling john houser returned the call.the only thing we eventually got from him was(well,we never really tested them with stock shocks,we only tested them with elkas).never offered to replace the shocks,never offered to replace the a arms with something different,nothing.finally my friend says,well since you have tore these shocks all to he!!,whats the best deal you can give me on a set of elkas.john houser said he would give him 50 bucks off of retail.ooo what a deal.i wish i had pictures of this,the finish was pretty bad also,but that doesnt matter,they all look like crap after a while.well thats my 2 cents.

sharkinthepool
09-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Man I cant as much as everyone else.

The only thing I can say is Sorry Guys.

I am not a Houser rep or anything. Just, I have never had a single problem with anything of theirs. The only thing I wish they did was make their products for the 400ex available in all the colors instead of red and silver vein.:devil:

Sorry about your guys' luck.:(