PDA

View Full Version : Pred vs R??

rollie
08-24-2004, 04:29 PM
im stuck on which on to get....i like the 450R but it doesnt have reverse everyone has a 450 now,but it is a honda and i like it alot BUT i was thinking about getting a new pred with reverse newer style shifting rezzys on the shocks becausei think it woule be good on both track and on trail....the problem is ive heard of some polaris raliablity issues...have they been fixed for 05? i just think it would be nice to have a quad not many people have and is decent on both track and trail, ive also heard theres no bottom end at all, if thats true im not interested with it at all...so what do you guys think?

sorry for long post

thanks

440exnacsracer
08-24-2004, 07:50 PM
if you plan on keeping the predator stock, dont get it, with a simple hmf slip on pipe, it had incredable torque. 450rs are really nice though, fun quads, just not as quick, i like the yamis best, that would be my pick if i could get a new quad
ben

rollie
08-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
if you plan on keeping the predator stock, dont get it, with a simple hmf slip on pipe, it had incredable torque. 450rs are really nice though, fun quads, just not as quick, i like the yamis best, that would be my pick if i could get a new quad
ben

i was planning.....HMF slip on renthals nerfs front bumber, the air box mod the light block offs and a couple other things...nothing big until i have it for a little bit:)

bradley300
08-25-2004, 12:24 AM
check out the ATK, not many people have them, the ones that do know them inside and out and there great at everything.

also, not speaking from experience, but i doubt the pred has any less low end than the other 450's

Flynbryan19
08-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Nacs, I got my pred for the same reason your looking at them..... I wanted something different. ;) I have an 03'(one w/the hit or missing tranny probs), and mine has been bullet proof for me so far. GREAT quad! It is alittle on the heavy side, but you only feel it when having to muscle it around. And now with the reverse on the 05' you shouldn't even have to do that.:macho In my opinion, with the rezzies, close ratio tranny, and the updated ergos the TLD pred is a great "do-it-all" quad. O yeah....and did I mention reverse.:D If I had $6100 I'd have one in my garage as soon as they come out.

I have very little experience with the 450r's. I've raced a few, and can say they are FAST, but I have yet to ride one, so I can not give an opinion of them.

rollie
08-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Nacs, I got my pred for the same reason your looking at them..... I wanted something different. ;) I have an 03'(one w/the hit or missing tranny probs), and mine has been bullet proof for me so far. GREAT quad! It is alittle on the heavy side, but you only feel it when having to muscle it around. And now with the reverse on the 05' you shouldn't even have to do that.:macho In my opinion, with the rezzies, close ratio tranny, and the updated ergos the TLD pred is a great "do-it-all" quad. O yeah....and did I mention reverse.:D If I had $6100 I'd have one in my garage as soon as they come out.

I have very little experience with the 450r's. I've raced a few, and can say they are FAST, but I have yet to ride one, so I can not give an opinion of them.

do you race? or anyone hwo is it on the track?:confused: :)

thanks

440exnacsracer
08-25-2004, 07:36 PM
if your over 6'2" the pred is your only option in my opinion. the 450s are good for smaller people. the 450r is really torquey, but doesnt have the power of the yfz, plus with a pipe on a yfz, say a full yoshi, its gonna rip. preds are really strong, you just dont get the low end without a pipe. i have an hmf and i have great low end. pulls hard from the bottom up. i can beat piped 450r's in a good run, but piped yfzs are a challenge. also, before getting anything else, buy some new tires, the razr 1's simple dont grip AT ALL! my razr 2's on the other hand dont spin, but they are a heavy tire, im going for more XC, so they fit me better. you should be good getting the 05, because they fixed the frames, transmissions, and youll have reverse. sounds like a deal to me
ben:D

440exnacsracer
08-25-2004, 07:37 PM
also for those of you having tranny problems on 03 preds, i bet your the type that likes your clutch lever all the way out. try adjusting in to 3/4 out and go riding. this is one thing that may be occuring, though they do have legitament transmission problems

rollie
08-25-2004, 07:56 PM
i heard that the rear plastic is a little weak and with out the supports from the heel gurads there very flimys i want gibson pro pegs....will the fenders bounce all over the place i dont want that

TheFontMaster
08-25-2004, 08:05 PM
I havent ridden a 450r, but my friend has 2 predators, and he has the pure polaris WB slip on, and that thing absolutley ripps. It's got so much power the wieght isn't a factor unless you get stuck. I haven't tryed getting it un-stuck though.

440exnacsracer
08-25-2004, 09:29 PM
yes, the predator fenders are kinda crappy. fronts are good, but the first thing i reccomend doing is taking the rears off and re-enforcing the welds on the rear mounts just under the seat (ones close to battery, others close to pipe). IMO you cannot take of the heelguards w/o some kind of support. rath racing has a bracket kit for $55, but im cheap, plus i think i can make it myself, because i just cant stand heelguards. ill let you know what i do and ill get you some pics to show you what i do when i do it LOL:D
ben

TheFontMaster
08-25-2004, 09:38 PM
One thing about the predator, 440exnacsracer made me think of this when he mentioned the plastic. I'm not shure if something go in the plastic, I don't know if its on every predator, but the plastic on one of his preddy's scrapes togeather and is makes alot of noise. His other predator doesn't do that. It's just some little thing that anoyed me that I thought I should mention. And I don't like how the predator plastic is like 5 different pices like it is. Chances are if you do get a predator you won't have this little problem, but it can always be fixed with new plastic. I liked the plastic that quadjunkies is getting on her predator, I think thats 2 piece plastic.

QuadJunkies
08-26-2004, 12:38 AM
stock plastic is POS!!!:grr: Last set we bought lasted for maybe two months before they broke... Aftermarket plasic is sooooooo much nicer and has some flex to it ;)

Flynbryan19
08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
do you race? or anyone hwo is it on the track?:confused: :)

thanks

Yeah, I race a couple times a year. Probably about 4-5 times a year. I race on an natural mx style track. We usually race against alittle bit of every thing. Yfz's, 450R's, 250R's, Z/Kfx's, Raptors, other Preds, etc.

Braff1
08-26-2004, 05:50 AM
First what kind of racing do you do? If you are into mx it will do good but if you are into xc remember the stock width is 45" up front and 47.5" in the rear. I have a predator that I race xc (gncc and local) and let me tell you I consistantly get the holeshot or I am up there in the front of the pack. I am 38 yrs old so I don't ride crazy like you young guys do, I have to go to work come monday.

440nacsracer, check with your dealer about the bracket for the rear fender. Mine broke and caused the plastic to brake. come to find out there was a recall notice to replace if they came in the shop. the new brackets are better welded and heavier.

While the Predator has its issues I think most have been ironed out. Even the new Honda has some issues to but like all new things they are being worked out. Both are good bikes.

QuadJunkies
08-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
. Mine broke and caused the plastic to brake. come to find out there was a recall notice to replace if they came in the shop. the new brackets are better welded and heavier.

. Our new ones didnt last any longer than the old ones did :( LOL.Its funny now ,but it wasnt then....Troy was doing a hillclimb and the rear fender had a nice amt. on the rear fender,he hit a rut going up the hill and all of a sudden.His whole rear fender broke off!!!:eek: :o hehehe He had to flattrack"ghetto" style that wk until the new ones came..........:o

rollie
08-26-2004, 06:03 PM
im gonna be racing MX but i dont have the money for new plastics if they break cuz im only 14 and only work in the summers so if anything breaks im pretty much screwed:( so i might just go with ol honda durabilty so everyone that has a pred loves it? btw how are they in pits and really rutted trails?

thanks!!:)

Braff1
08-26-2004, 08:54 PM
The trouble with the front plastic is that the clips break off. All I did is drill a hole and bolt the plastic stright to the gas tank. Been great since then. Don't let a little plastic scare you away. You mx guys trim it off anyway.

TheFontMaster
08-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
im gonna be racing MX but i dont have the money for new plastics if they break cuz im only 14 and only work in the summers so if anything breaks im pretty much screwed:( so i might just go with ol honda durabilty so everyone that has a pred loves it? btw how are they in pits and really rutted trails?

thanks!!:)

They are the ultimate for pitts. My friends predator can climb anything in the pitts here with ease. If most of your riding is in pitts, get ther predator. It can't be beat in pitts. I haven't riden ine on the rutted trails, but from how I see my friends going on them it looks like the rutts won't be a problem.

QuadJunkies
08-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
. Don't let a little plastic scare you away. You mx guys trim it off anyway. exactly...;)

Braff1
08-27-2004, 02:23 AM
I have raced the second half of gncc last year and this year and the MSWHS winter series and my plastic finally gave out after someone spun me out and t-boned me driving up into my right rear fender busting it up.