PDA

View Full Version : What is winning consistently?

zman2
08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
:confused: We are trying to figure out what to run next year we have a trx90-he's maintained first in points however never has won a race- our track has no real rules they throw all mini quads in the same motos tottaly modded quads race the 4yr. old 50s and everything in between. The predators seem to dominate and we are trying to figure out if we should stick with the 90-put a motor cycle engine in it , buy the 107 kits or totally give up on the trx. So I thought if everyone could tell me what is winning at their tracks or give an opinion it would help us decide on which route to take. If the others go tottally mod then we too would like to keep up- stay competitive @ least. Thanks Zman2

theTman
08-23-2004, 07:19 PM
cr,kx,yz etc 80 motors are winning most classes....also kx 60/65 motors in 50 chassis are doing good to...

zman2
08-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks-Our boy keeps trying too but weekend after weekend of doing his best and not being able to keep up with those he's getting discouraged. One of the riders has a bottomless check book -we need to do it right the first time hahahaha! We just would just like to keep up with them(or at least in sight) . Its no fun when they are 1/2 a track ahead of you. Thanks again.

QuadJunkies
08-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I know how you feel! The money tree doesnt grow at out house either!!! LOL........ Have either of you put on a pipe or done any clucth mods yet????Its amazing how much a GOOD pipe and clutch mods can do for a mini . :) ;)

LT80
08-24-2004, 02:28 PM
What I'm thinking :)

This is what happens when there are no rules. I personally think you should get ppl together and see if they can start some rules. It's simple, Follow the ATVA's guidelines.

As far as what machine,, The best rider can win on any machine. Your TRX/Kasea/polaris/eton/or my beloved LT80 :)

IMO the LT80 is the cheapest to get on the track. Basically cuz we mod the existing parts, and the initial buying price.

The impoprts kasea/polaris/eton/etc. take more bought parts but can be made very fast.

They all have pros and cons. All need suspension.

The shifters are fun but very costly. The blasters w/bike motors are all too heavy but a good local bike I guess.

Tough decisions!

mxmike17
08-24-2004, 04:01 PM
zman2,

About building a dirtbike motered quad. Be shure they will have a place to ride. I know down here they are not allowed to run in the mini quad class. They have to run with the big boys.

zman2
08-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the info, we have done mods pipe, suspension no A arms, porting-polishing, timing key shaved head not enough, tires , cut pink wire, gearing,and others I can't think of right now. We don't have the a class in the district for these guys I have contacted Doug Morris just soI could get the right info on rules for my son and his age, I have contacted the district and our track. District said its the tracks that decide to make it a class - We just had a protest the first one in approx. 7 years at our track so I thought I would really jump on getting us some rules while the skillets still hot. I realize that the rider makes a big difference but it's not just my boy that can't keep up we have another that has what mine lacks and still can't pass the predator. You have all made good points. thanks again. Zman2

212racing
08-25-2004, 01:17 AM
zman

was the protest over #55 (mod90)?

212racing
08-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Oouthere

what size carb are you running?

phaster
08-25-2004, 09:08 AM
KillerEX has a trx90 and I can tell you right now his 200pd+ arse can get that thing to wheelie in 2nd. I'm not sure what pipe he runs, but I know it didn't need it to get the wheels off the ground that's for sure.

phaster
08-25-2004, 09:19 AM
You wanna get that trx90 a good kick in the *** to get her winning call these guys...I have heard great things about what this guy can do...the prices don't seem to bad.

icracing (http://www.icracingcomponents.com)

Samson
08-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Oouthere
She'll hold it about 50% rpm and just before the gate drops, try to blow the motor and drop it in second. If it hooks-up it'll fly but it doesn't have any top speed.

If she is starting out in second, can you not gear it way up for top speed? Not really familiar with the Honda, is it a shaft drive or something?

crazy1
08-25-2004, 06:59 PM
the trx90 can get the job done,just need more in the power plant.......107 KIT!!!!that predator is not stock in my eyes by any means or it is runin on jet fuel. finish the season and save your pennies.:) :cool: :macho

Pappy
08-25-2004, 07:07 PM
we had the chance to run our stock (piped) honda 90 against some modded 90cc 2 smokes and 1 modded 90 4 stroke this past weekend. i honestly figured we would be out classed but we werent.

the modded 90 didnt sound built but could have been, i know he had good top speed but we could run just as fast in the infield section (3/8 mile oval TT)

i have talked with a TON of folks and for all around RELIABLE power the honda 90 is best at 90 cc with a 11-1 piston, port work and a decent cam. gearing will be ofcourse best suited to whatever your racing.

so far we have run a ton of XC races and now 1 TT event and the honda has us where we want to be for next season. we have the suspension damn near perfect for XC and MX but the TT is new to us. I believe we will run a Modded Kasea for MX and TT simply because the 2 smoke will out accelerate most honda 90's when riden correctly.

are you having fun yet:D

212racing
08-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Oouthere

it is the small carb that is holding your top end down.i would think at least a 22mm, but maybe even a 26mm.
check your compression also, a lot of the big bore kits don't maximize the right piston and head combo. what you gain in cc you give back some in compression.i have seen this quite a few times. the key to the trx90 is compression. my son's is a little over 11 to 1, soon we are going to 12 to 1.i wouldn't gear it too high. i like to run a rather low ratio for my sons trx in mx racing.

pappy,
do you know charles at icracing.i had seen some pictures in his garage that looked a lot like some you have posted on this site.

crazy1
my son has a 90 kit from icracing.he will be racing casey and taylorville soon. this will give some kind of comparison between
modded polaris and trx mini-quads.

zman2
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Work keeps me away alot so - it was #66 that was protested and 212 look us up at Casey and Taylorville- we are #26. thanks for all the good info everyone I agree the predators run very well with a good rider and we I'm sure don't have ourtrx where we want it yet- I need to talk with robb and icracing also- however I'm having a hard time getting Icracing to come up on the net. Crazy1:rolleyes: I know what you think not much :D I would be more convinced if I could see a trx 90 thats dialed in beat #66. I just don't know if a trx can do it.:confused: He also races taylorville. So 212 I would really like your opinion if you race against him sometime. Thanks Zman2

zman2
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey i got icracing must have had a computer cliche .

212racing
08-26-2004, 11:43 PM
icracing
1-800-414-2973

he is still updating his website, a lot of his new stuff is not listed.
he will answer whatever questions you have about your trx90.give him a call if you don't see the answer on his website.

212racing
08-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Oouthere
icracing has a nice set of ext. a-arms and swing arms. my son runs both of these with the works shocks. later in the year i will have the a-arms,tie rods, and three works shocks for sale(2 front 1 back). my son is upgrading the suspension this winter.

when your daughter is ready check the clearance between the piston and valves, then if possible, you can just go with a thinner head gasket for a better compression ratio. remember if possible, you can get the top of the piston notched for valve clearance. i would only shave the head if it was warped and you were not getting a good seal. it is much cheaper using thinner gaskets.
the suspension is a must. that was the first upgrade we made on my sons quad. it was like nite and day. the bigger carb should make a huge difference in the performance when she is ready.

212racing
08-27-2004, 03:04 AM
zman2

my son has raced against 3modded 90 preds. and a big bore pred. this year and done really,really well. they can made to be super fast no doubt. i really like them except the frames. 3 of the 4 have had many frame failures and not just in one spot either, but man can you make those things fly.

crazy1
08-27-2004, 09:51 AM
212,hope to see ya at casey sometime.
zman give it some time bud and do some more research,212 said his did very well against them.remember bud,this is his first year racing and he is still not completly ready for that track...you know what i mean.:p

212racing
08-27-2004, 11:21 AM
pm your name and phone #
i will make sure he gets in contact with you
even if all you want are prices and a little info.
he is a great guy just overloaded with work
he now has a full time employee named eric who is great with
trx90's also
so if you want an idea about what to do this winter, give me your info

212racing
08-27-2004, 11:57 PM
me too.

phaster
08-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Oouthere,

Try giving them a call...alot of these guys(mod makers) are more about racing and letting the kids do what they do best and will offer up alot of free advice versus spending hundreds of $$$$.
That advice might be all that is needed to get you on the right track.

advice is free and they love to help every1 out.

This my own personal experience with other builders.

TY & Goodluck

Samson
08-28-2004, 03:08 PM
As I sit here drinking my keystone Light wishing it was Dos Equis.....my heart goes out to you fellers! ;) :D

zman2
08-30-2004, 11:30 AM
crazy1,
I know it is his first year and yes he is doing really well with what experience and mods he has-1st in local points- but you know as well as I that he should beable to do MUCH better- as he can hold you back!:D we are doing research, and value everyones thought and suggestions here that is why we started here first. You know just as well as I that the rest of them have something under their sleeve that we don't. :D we want to just hold our spot this year and beable to stay w/ the pack next year. Everyone has given great info. again Thank you! Zman2:)

markvette
08-30-2004, 11:42 AM
rich
as most people will tell you on here, rider is the biggest part. the trx 90 you speak of is not quite as fast as bubbas eton but the rider is much more agressive. he kills bubba on the jumps and bubba makes up for it in the straights and corners and the holeshots. we set up the class rules with the cc limits in line with most other mini quad racing associations. we cannot run 4 classes with 2 kids in each class and untill the quad turnout grows it will be unfair to some riders. we tried to have it the best we could for everyone. your daughter will do better in time but is just not that agressive of a rider right now. it will come as she gets more seat time. you would be surprised how much of bubba's quad is just dads hard work and not money. if i had that kind of money he would not be riding a quad that is 6 years old. i have learned much in the past year and put it to use to keep bubba in the front of the pack. we race for fun but we are also very serious about our racing. when we unload our trailer we are there to win and that comes from much hard work on me and my boys part. i spend 20 to 30 hours a week fine tuning bubbas quad, not adding more expensive parts but getting every ounce out of what i have. bubba does not run a $300 aftermarket clutch and pully setup, he runs a stock clutch modded by me. he also runs the stock 99 variator and stock 99 belt and with dads modded setup he gets 90% of the holeshots. that is not all me though as bubba loves the holeshot and will fight for it. if another is close to him in the first turn they better be ready to rub tires because he is not gonna let off. also something that would help you and others is sponsorships, nothing hard about it just sending out resumes. bubba has a couple great sponsors that give discounts on parts, i expect to pick up more this year as bubba already has 4 series championships under his belt and that helps on a resume. you are going the right way by asking questions and learning the ins and outs on your quad but i will tell you it takes a lot of work and yes some money to be competative. hope we see you at the next race and you have a better experiance.

Mark

markvette
08-30-2004, 04:25 PM
well i wont argue the point but i know from experiance the four strokes can compete with the 2 strokes. the boy that ran behind bubba on the trx 90 won the mini quad championship last year. he also won the winter series this past year. also 2 weeks ago when we ran lorettas a trx90 won that national against some of the fastest 2 strokes in the united states, will say bubba did pull the holeshot on him in his qualifier. the breeze is a different story like the mini raptor, they are not competative in mini quad racing. we have raced rock hill for a year now and most the kids there on the four strokes were not as experianced as riders as most the 2 stroke riders. we have ran together as a group for a while and these kids just keep getting faster.

Mark

212racing
08-30-2004, 11:30 PM
markvette
is your boy running 90cc's
if so there are a couple national tt races coming up in the south. it would still be a little drive but they are a lot of fun. we have done a couple mx nationals and wanted to try a tt or two but we have to save the rest of our pennies for some upgrades this winter. the two races are in ark. and tx.

markvette
08-31-2004, 08:25 AM
locally we run a motor over 90cc but have another motor under 90cc that was built for the nationals. just a matter of about 30 minutes time to swap them. we would like to run some flat track or tt races. 2 local tracks are getting ready to start some flat track races soon and we want to try it out. i will have to check out the ones you are talking about. finaces keep us from traveling to far. also our schools are real strict about the kids missing without a doctors excuse. we had to go through hell to take them out of school for lorettas. trying to get a littlr time between races to strip the quad down and add k-fab nerf bars, have the frame powder coated and put on some newer plastic. he still runs the original 99 txl eton plastic. i want to put viper plastic on it but the whole set up is about $400. thats my hold up on everything right now. i have a spare frame i been getting ready to swap over to but the plastic issue has held me up. dont want to powder coat it and then have to weld on new brackets for different plastic.

Mark

212racing
09-01-2004, 03:25 AM
my 2cents
i hate big bore racing. this is usually the out come.(fighting) the same goes for running mod90 bikes with production 90's.
i have been doing this for 6 yrs. 99.9% of the time we all know the reason why they are installed. let the kids race on somewhat equal terms,not how many cc's mom and dad put in to make it run down the straights. harsh words but about as truthful as it gets.but thats the way it is. let the bashing begin

PTMracing
09-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Well put......I agree. I got my son a new Kawasaki KFX80 (LT 80), after he raced a 86 Yamaha Moto 4 (with no suspension) his first year. Granted.....I've done quite a few mods to his including +3 a-arms, pipe, and clutch mods. Now he's pretty much in the mix. But his riding level has grown so much. I'm so proud. In a wheel to wheel race he has yet to win, and I'm done with the mods. It's up to him to step it up if he wants to win. And if he told me tommorrow that he did'nt want to race anymore, then I'm still just as proud of him........my 2 cents.

212racing
09-01-2004, 11:13 PM
safety, it is just not safe to put an inexpierenced rider on a bullet without suspension or the knowledge of how to use it.

Pappy
09-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by 212racing
safety, it is just not safe to put an inexpierenced rider on a bullet without suspension or the knowledge of how to use it.

i agree 100%!

PTMracing
09-04-2004, 10:30 PM
What?????????? I don't get what you're saying. Are you doggin' me?? Do you even know me?? He's been racing for 3 years now. He's won at least 30 trophies, and just finished 3rd in the local racing series. He rode the crap out of that Moto 4 (with no suspension) and has become a better rider because of it. His riding level has went through the roof, and he is the type of rider that would rather not risk crashing just to get the holeshot. He's very responsible and respects his quad and what it is capable and not capable of. Like I said....not sure what you were implying, but HE and his father are both VERY SAFE. Thanks. No hard feelings. By the way...I'm on your side. I agreed with your post. Did you not see that? No need in ridiculing me for what I posted in mine. :confused: Just thought I'd chime in and give you thumbs up. Kinda new here, could make me feel a little more welcome.

212racing
09-05-2004, 11:56 AM
slow down ptm
that was just a general statement to this post, and right on with what you are saying. so the answer to the post is.
there is no magic quad. just the one your rider is most comfortable on. with all the shops hopping up and over-bore kits out, there is no one quad you can go buy and make the rider an
instant champion. the rider is the one winning consitently.

thanks
keith

PTMracing
09-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Cool.....and once again, you're right on. It's a rat race. Classes are usually 71cc-90cc. How many do you really think are 90cc? Sorry, but I'm not gonna cheat (and teach my son to cheat) just to take home a piece of gold painted plastic. It's gonna have to be because of his determination and his willingness to challenge himself to push hard for somthing he wants to conquer.......as I step down from my soapbox.................

austins dad 572
11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
put a 85 engine an with some practice he will be taken home the win

CAIN730
11-16-2008, 08:10 PM
This thread is 4 years old :)

Ryko racing
11-17-2008, 08:24 AM
CHECK YOUR PM

team37
11-17-2008, 03:16 PM
This is a 2004 post these kids are on 450's or in college or something!!

LT80
11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
That is funny.
Maybe it took him 4 years to work up an answer.
LMAO :D :D