PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about...

Jay300ex
04-06-2002, 02:56 PM
modifying my quad.. I have a 2002 300ex, all stock at the moment. Need a few tips, first off, keep in mind most the riding to be done on it is trails and such, that means water, mud, ect ( yah know? :) ) . I am curious, what after market exhaust systems provide a good amount of more HP without making it to much louder then the stock? FmF, WB or Cobra ( well probably not cobra but its a thought ). And if I bought those, I need the jetting kit, correct? Okay, so I have to increase the O2 Intake, by putting holes in the air box? Would that be so wise , I mean would water and other gunk get in it? Or can I put them under the seat sealed away from the outside, or a whole 'nother way to do that ? Just a couple more things ( sorry, my first quad ;) ) K&N air filter and such, that a good investment? Hear about those alot so.. Last thing for now, what are the purpose of Nerf Bars? Besides looking Über cool, whats their purpose, I need to know! Thanks for any tips guys! :square

Jayson

ny300exrider
04-06-2002, 03:35 PM
ok, i will try to answer all of these. I am not as lucky as you with having a first quad i will be getting one by summer(most likely 400ex), but i think i could answer the questions.

1. most pipes add good hp but the ones to look for include white brothers e-series or r-series, yoshimura comp, fmf powercore ivsa2 or powercore "q"(quiet). I would stay away from cobra or dg if you dont want to be loud because they are VERY LOUD which i dont like either. most companies add about the same hp except the engine builders pipes because they are full-on race and very loud too. it is pretty much personal preferance from everything from looks to sound.

2. you dont have to buy a jetting kit, because you can buy each jet seperatly but it is WAY BETTER to buy the kit because you may have to change jettings more than once and you will have alot to chose from.You can put a few holes in the air box, it will definitly help the quad breathe better, just clean it after muddy rides, it shouldnt be bad.

3. definitly get a K&N filter to let the air pass through. it will help everything out with a new exaust and such.

4. nerf bars are a very important thing and i would get them before any performance mods. you may not think you need them , but you will. the purpose is to protct your feet from sticks, branches rocks , and most importantly if you slip off your footpeg you will end up in the net and not in the back tire. you can break your ankle by getting your leg caught, and you said you ride in mud, so it will be slippery.

hope i helped some
later