PDA

View Full Version : cornwell tools?

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 06:42 PM
hey all. i am looking at buying a good set of hand tools. i am going to become a mechanic (ASE certified,taking classes soon for it) and want some quality tools but dont feel like taking a small fortune out on them. i mean 2 grand for a set of sockets? i mean cmon thats just nuts. corwell seems to be better priced anyone have any experince with them?:D

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 07:07 PM
anyone?:confused:

Guy400
08-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I've got some Snap-On stuff and some Mac stuff but I still prefer my Craftsman hand tools. Not saying the other stuff isn't any good but I've always been happy with my Sears hand tools (note: hand tools, not power tools). There's always a Sears nearby and I've never gotten any grief from them when returning anything, even when I split a 3/8" drive 9/16" standard socket using a 1/2" drive impact gun with a reducer:eek: :D

MotoX3
08-23-2004, 07:22 PM
i agree with guy...my family ran a shop for like 20 some odd years and we have all sorts of tools....snap on to me is just a brand and shiny...nothing more,,,,i mean we usually use the sears one more anyways....but be careful of really cheap sets....ive beant screwdrivers,wrenches and all sorts of stuff with exrtemely cheap stuff...jmo:macho

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
i agree with guy...my family ran a shop for like 20 some odd years and we have all sorts of tools....snap on to me is just a brand and shiny...nothing more,,,,i mean we usually use the sears one more anyways....but be careful of really cheap sets....ive beant screwdrivers,wrenches and all sorts of stuff with exrtemely cheap stuff...jmo:macho
very true. i just want a nice set that im going to be using day in day out..............i have a few sets of craftsman tools!

AtvMxRider
08-23-2004, 08:03 PM
For your normal hand tools like wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers go with Craftsman. but your specialty stuff go with Snap-on. I will tell you know to buy a good Impact wrench and don't be cheap about it. Cause you do get what you pay for with air tools. I have been a mechanic for many years and I see newbies all the time wasting money on tools they don't need.

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
For your normal hand tools like wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers go with Craftsman. but your specialty stuff go with Snap-on. I will tell you know to buy a good Impact wrench and don't be cheap about it. Cause you do get what you pay for with air tools. I have been a mechanic for many years and I see newbies all the time wasting money on tools they don't need.
yea its kind of nice to hear what a mechanic says. i got a snap-on computer reader from a reitred mechanic friend. i am thinking of buying his Mac tools if he will sell them to me.:cool:

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
fyi- its a snap-on OBD-II. i know its was expensive. him and i were close and he has helped me alot!

AtvMxRider
08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
yea its kind of nice to hear what a mechanic says. i got a snap-on computer reader from a reitred mechanic friend. i am thinking of buying his Mac tools if he will sell them to me.:cool:

I'm a diesel mechanic and work on big trucks but I will help you any way I can:)

AtvMxRider
08-23-2004, 08:13 PM
fyi- its a snap-on OBD-II. i know its was expensive. him and i were close and he has helped me alot!

Well that is good that you already got that you just now need to make sure you get all the updates for it, cause they change "All the time".

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm a diesel mechanic and work on big trucks but I will help you any way I can:)

thanks man.........i couldnt imagine working on those things where a 2" diameter bolt is common:eek2:

AtvMxRider
08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
thanks man.........i couldnt imagine working on those things where a 2" diameter bolt is common:eek2:

You want to know the truth a tractor and trailer is easier to work on than a car.

lil400exman
08-23-2004, 08:19 PM
You want to know the truth a tractor and trailer is easier to work on than a car.
well with getting into a place is easier but the torque values are much higher so the use of a impact/butterfly wrench would be needed........and small crane too....:blah: i would have a heck of a time re-building the spring packs on those bad boys......my landcruisers was enough:eek2:

Woodsrider
08-23-2004, 09:39 PM
As I a mechanic, I have a lot of tools and many of them are Cornwell. Honestly it all comes down to preference and what you can afford. I prefer cornwell impact sockets over any other but in chrome I have had the best luck with Snap-on. I wont buy anything but a snap-on wrench. Nothing else feels as good to me. I have a few craftsman wrenches at home but I ***** and whine every time I have to use them.

One thing to remember, if you are going to school to be a mechanic, (automotive technician). You will have the opportunity to buy sets from Snap-on, and the other tool monkies at a substantial discount. So dont go out and get into debt right away.

jsc
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
I am an aircraft mechanic and use mainly craftsman hand tools, but the Snap-On screwdrivers are TONS better than the Craftsmans I have used ( I higly recommend the ratching type for a good all rounder)

AtvMxRider
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
One thing to remember, if you are going to school to be a mechanic, (automotive technician). You will have the opportunity to buy sets from Snap-on, and the other tool monkies at a substantial discount. So dont go out and get into debt right away.

You are so right I had almost forgot about that.

trick450r
08-24-2004, 04:09 PM
cant go wrong with craftsman but like many others have said for specialty tool like torque wrenches and such go with snap-on or mac...

400grl
08-24-2004, 04:16 PM
The techs I work with here at Porshe pretty much all use Snap-On.....our Cornwell guy does good, too, though......alot of guys go with who gets the tools they need to them the quickest, and who has the best warranty......least hassle....that type of thing. My bf was all Snap-On for a while, but started buying up some good Cornwell deals as they came up........

worm
08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
my buddy has a garage full of almost every cornwell tool out ..huge boxes of them.some how the dealer went out of business while he was paying on them ..long story i guess.. but they are really nice tools and we havent broke any.

by the way.. can we coem ride w/ you guys soon? i leave in 12 days.. later call jon at 4234495 if you will

efilnicafesin
08-24-2004, 08:50 PM
When I started turning wrenches, I bought Cornwell stuff.... I liked the ratchets and sockets and I still beat on them after 12yrs... I lost my Cornwell dealer and had a ratchet break.... I emailed them on their website and they gave me return info and I got a new ratchet.....

Snap On Wrenches are the best wrenches on the market... You'll pay out the rectum for them, but well worth it.. Screwdrivers as well. IR for your 1/2" impact and Snap On for the 3/8" impact...

But before you jump all over top of the line stuff, start out with some less expensive stuff to make sure you want to stick with it... ;)

Woodsrider
08-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by jsc
( I higly recommend the ratching type for a good all rounder)

LOL I'm lost without my ratcheting screwdriver:o I cant use a old school screwdriver with out droping it. I own three of them. One for home, one for work, and one in the road tool box. that says a lot at $60+ a pop.

MY450R
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
just buy the tools that say made in korea on them lol

AtvMxRider
08-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
just buy the tools that say made in korea on them lol

And you wonder why your wife left you:rolleyes:

j/p:devil:

K_Fulk
08-25-2004, 08:18 PM
LOL I'm lost without my ratcheting screwdriver:o I cant use a old school screwdriver with out droping it. I own three of them. One for home, one for work, and one in the road tool box. that says a lot at $60+ a pop.

I know what your saying. I bought one for 20 bucks in high school. Best $20 i ever spent.

Almost all my tools are craftsman. But I did buy a snap on 1/4 inch ratchet. I got tired of taking the craftsmans back all the time. Craftsmans bigger ratchets are fine though.

jsc
08-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Yep I got one for work and one for home. The bits can be kinda brittle and I break about 2 a year (thousands of screws in airplanes) but I am not complaing. They really tend to let loose when chucked up in a cordless drill!

LOL I'm lost without my ratcheting screwdriver:o I cant use a old school screwdriver with out droping it. I own three of them. One for home, one for work, and one in the road tool box. that says a lot at $60+ a pop. :D

Woodsrider
08-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jsc
Yep I got one for work and one for home. The bits can be kinda brittle and I break about 2 a year (thousands of screws in airplanes) but I am not complaing. They really tend to let loose when chucked up in a cordless drill!

:D
I know what you mean there. I worked for Boeing for six years as a functional test mechanic. If its not held on with a rivet, its held on with a screw. I bet there is over 4000 screws holding the floor boards down in a 737-900:eek2:

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 03:30 PM
You guys are too funny...

I've been wrenching for a living scince 1991, I started with craftsman and SK (slip and kill) I have all snap-on and mac tools now. I won't buy mac any more because although the tools are nice the dealers are unreliable and that means more than anything. With snap-on (and other companies with a tool rep.)you can start a tool account which helps. You can buy bluepoint tools from snap-on which are cheaper and still better quality than most other brands. Also if its possible only buy the tools from snappy that are on promo or repo's, you'll save a lot of money there. I like matco tools but the dealers are rare.

I still own some craftsman tools but they just don't feel right. plus I've broken most of them. Its a big hassel to me if I have to keep running to sears every other day to get a pos tool replaced. Remember you are making a living with these tools not fixing your lawn mower so your grass doesn't get to high! Buy quality and you'll buy one set of tools, buy craftman or other junk tools and you'll buy better tools later on! Just so you know I do like cornwell and huskey tools they have a good feel to them. In some cases you will need craftman sockets cause they are thinner and fit in tighter places. You will also need some tools that you can cut up to make special wrenches so don't through out any tools!

For your pnumatic tools buy Ingersal rand. They make the lightest and most powerful air tools you can get and they are cheaper. Snappies air tools suck. I have a mac gear drive 1/4" air ratchet that I really like. I have a snap-on 3/8 drive impact that I like also but the rest of my air tools I traded in for ingersal rand and I feel it was a very good choice.

buy a snap-on box! They are higher quality than most others. I f-ed up and traded my snap-on for a Jessie james mac box. Its junk! Sure it looks cool but its not the same quality. I know other people will tell you that snappies boxes are made buy the same manufactorer that make craftman and other boxes but the other boxes aren't made to snap-ons standards. They are not the same quality.

By the way I repair caterpillar engines. they are about as much of a pain in the *** to work on as cars, I rarely ever use anything bigger than an 1 1/8" wrench. Diesels just pay a lot better than automotive repair. Plus I work on 600hp engines all the time. thats the cool part. If you work on cars all you'll hear is "my car drives funny" or "its making a funny noise" with diesels you hear "can you give me more power???" It doesn't matter who is driving the truck they all want to be the big cock on the block. So I get to tweek engines all day to make them put more power to the ground. Its really a cool job.

There is something to be said for the confidence you feel when useing good quality tools you will have less screw ups and that helps you earn more$$$ when its time for your raise. also a customer will have more respect for a mechanic using snap-on tools that one using craftsman. There is a big sphycological side to your tools.When you can tell what wrench is in your hand by how it feels and its weight you'll understand what I'm talking about. I'm sure a lot of mechs out there will agree with me on this.

jsc
08-28-2004, 03:49 PM
also a customer will have more respect for a mechanic using snap-on tools that one using craftsman.

My customers respect me for my quality of work, over what type of tools I am using. Open an account at Snapit off in you...NO FREAKING WAY.

chucked
08-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by jsc
My customers respect me for my quality of work, over what type of tools I am using. Open an account at Snapit off in you...NO FREAKING WAY.

NO, if your customers are smart, they will know that you care about your tools and your career, because your tools are an investment, snap-on is by far the most expensive, but they are made so you never have to use the warranty, I work at a shop which repairs heavy machinery, ive never seen a snap-on tool break yet, nor have any of the mechanics there ever broken one.

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by jsc

You friggin work on airplanes! Its not like they have a ton of other option, they arn't going to go to the next shop 2 blocks down!

I am one of the best diesel mechs in Ohio and the word from my customers that come to me all over the country is they won't let another mech tough their trucks. I have customers that have broke down in oklahoma and towed the truck to ohio because they trust me. I'm telling you 1st impressions are a big deal yes you have to do exceptional work to keep them. But if I take a car into have it repaired and the guy rolls over his tiny craftman box and pulls out his craftman robo grips I'm outta there!

I know several aircraft mechs and none of them tend to buy snap-on tools, I aslo know from them that they don't use their tools to the same extremes that other mechs do. I had to use a 1" drive impact with a 12 piont 3/4 impact socket to remove 26 head bolts yesterday! I was hammering on each one for a while before I got them to brake loose. The socket was so hot it blistered my hand. A craftman socket can't take that kind of abuse.

So you can learn the hard way if you like, hey its your money.

jsc
08-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Yep sir you are correct, they dont have to go 2 blocks down, just 200 feet down the ramp.

Originally posted by diesel-mech
You friggin work on airplanes! Its not like they have a ton of other option, they arn't going to go to the next shop 2 blocks down!

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by chucked
NO, if your customers are smart, they will know that you care about your tools and your career, because your tools are an investment, snap-on is by far the most expensive, but they are made so you never have to use the warranty, I work at a shop which repairs heavy machinery, ive never seen a snap-on tool break yet, nor have any of the mechanics there ever broken one.

I brake my snap-on tools often enough but every wednesday snapy is there to replace it. swivel impact sockets brake often but thats why they cost so much, they always get replaced. If you get a set you will use them more than anyother socket, they are great, but you will brake them eventually. But there is no hassel to it. you brake the tools and they bring you another one...forever!

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by jsc
Yep sir you are correct, they dont have to go 2 blocks down, just 200 feet down the ramp.

OK I'm stupid! explain this one to me?:huh

jsc
08-28-2004, 06:08 PM
TARMAC, FLIGHTLINE, RAMP, AIRPLANE PARKING LOT, all the same thing. OH yea....You put on your BRAKES so your quad doesnt BREAK or get BROKEN.

OK I'm stupid! explain this one to me?:huh

chucked
08-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by jsc
OH yea....You put on your BRAKES so your quad doesnt BREAK or get BROKEN.

wuh????????????

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by jsc
TARMAC, FLIGHTLINE, RAMP, AIRPLANE PARKING LOT, all the same thing. OH yea....You put on your BRAKES so your quad doesnt BREAK or get BROKEN.

RIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Hey thanks for the grammer up date. It amazing how smart you wing mechs can be.:rolleyes:

Now why don't you knock of the insults and answer the question? I know what a tramac is. I want to know what you ment by "they just go 200ft down the ramp"

jsc
08-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Never meant for it to be an insult....I am done with this conversation, I just offered my opinion and that is all. Thanks and have a great day

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jsc
Never meant for it to be an insult....I am done with this conversation, I just offered my opinion and that is all. Thanks and have a great day

Hey I was hoping to learn something about your job. I am not triing to start a fight. I really want to know what you ment. Is there more repair hangers(sp) futher down the ramp or something?

jsc
08-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Yes there are about 14 repair facilities on the Airport I work at, and lots more on the 2 smaller airports close by.

Hey I was hoping to learn something about your job. I am not triing to start a fight. I really want to know what you ment. Is there more repair hangers(sp) futher down the ramp or something?

diesel-mech
08-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by jsc
Yes there are about 14 repair facilities on the Airport I work at, and lots more on the 2 smaller airports close by.

OK then, Thanks for the info. I appologize for the confusion.

jsc
08-28-2004, 06:42 PM
No problem, no hard feelings on this end.

OK then, Thanks for the info. I appologize for the confusion.

AtvMxRider
08-28-2004, 07:50 PM

I am one of the best diesel mechs in Ohio and

Not trying to flame but I have been working on trucks a long time and there is one thing that I have learned. Never brag because it will turn around and bite you in the *****. I am a pretty good deisel mechanic myself but I let my work speak for itself. Not flaming ok:) .

AtvMxRider
08-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by chucked
[B I work at a shop which repairs heavy machinery, ive never seen a snap-on tool break yet, nor have any of the mechanics there ever broken one. [/B]

Well you haven't been around very much then. I have broken my far share of snap-on tools. Snap on makes good tools but you are paying more for a name then the tool.

Woodsrider
08-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Damn this thread sure got pissy, didnt it.:rolleyes:
It doesn't matter what you wrench on for a living whether its small engines, aircraft, cars, or heavy equipment. You learn by flesh what a quality tool is, and why you will always pay to have the right tool for the job. You bust a few knuckles with cheap tools and you will learn fast that the better tools are worth the money.
There is a lot of good advise in this thread if you sift through all the crap.Snap-on boxes are with out a doubt the best built box out there. There air tools are under powered as are Bluepoint. As for wreches and sockets you will find, as you build your tool set, that some are better than others for many different reasons. Even Craftsman wrenchs have a use, once they have been cut with a torch and welded into that speacial tool that you need just for that one job that has to get done today;)

diesel-mech
08-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Not trying to flame but I have been working on trucks a long time and there is one thing that I have learned. Never brag because it will turn around and bite you in the *****. I am a pretty good deisel mechanic myself but I let my work speak for itself. Not flaming ok:) .

I wrote a long explaination to this then deleted it. I'll tell you this. I worked and studied a lot harder than most diesel mechs to get where I am. If you deal with cat engines at all you will most likely run into a customer of mine somewhere along the line. My name is Bob I work at Ohio cat in troy, ohio. I was the lead man there for quite some time before the company decided they didn't want to pay leadman wages anymore. Now I'm in the shop full time. I wouldn't give you this info if I doubted what you will hear about my work. If you have a truck that is down in my area give me the shot to proove I'm not running my mouth.

I don't mean to be cocky but I follow so many mechs that don't know what they are doing. I start thinking that the diesel world is full of idiots. I know this is untrue and unfair of me. I know I'm not the greatest cat mech out there. You may be better than me, We have no way of knowing. I can tell you that my customers are very faithful to me. I can't recall any customers off hand that where remotely dissappointed in my repairs. Take this for what you will. I would welcome the chance to proove that I am a top shelf diesel mechanic. No hard feelings I hope????

AtvMxRider
08-29-2004, 02:39 PM
No hard feelings I hope????

No none at all. Like I said I wasn't flaming and am not doubting your ability. All I said was is that I never brag cause it turns around and bites me everytime I do. And you are 100% true about the diesel world being full of idiots. Nobody wants to do this stuff anymore. And the ones we do get come from a diesel college and they are the biggest dumb asses you will ever come across. We have 7 mechanics(well I would'nt call them mechanics) that have came from a college and only one if them is worth a chit. They think they want to be mechanics until they get to a shop and see how hard it really is. Like I said I wasn't flaming you.:)

diesel-mech
08-29-2004, 03:10 PM
AtvMxRider, I know what you mean about chitty mechs.!!!

I'm not flawless, I get hot for a while, meaning I can fix everthing I touch with almost no effort and absolutley kill any flat rate time with no rework. Then for like a week straight I will make stupid mistakes or every job I get will go to he!!. Like when you get an old nasty pos truck that is falling apart in front of your eyes and in order to fix the problem the truck came in for you have to repair 20 things that broke,cracked, or stipped out in the process. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
I think this happens to most mechs. Rework comes in phases. The trick is to stop it when it starts.

Remember... Old truckers never die....They just get a new Peterbilt!:devil: