PDA

View Full Version : this has been a ? forever i know

440ex22
08-23-2004, 05:12 PM
i need help. i cant decide to get the yfz or the 450r. i really like the r but from what ive read it has more problems than the yfz. and its also a kickstart. i really dont know what to do!

Bill Fuller
08-23-2004, 05:19 PM
SEARCH nobody can make the decision for you.

nhyfzrider
08-23-2004, 06:52 PM
they both are awesome machines. the trx is comfy, smooth, but powerful, the kickstart works great. the yfz is not as comfy, but has an edge in power, but it's an explosive power, not smooth like the trx. they both handle well. test, test. don't buy until you have ridden both, i have a yfz but could care less if i had either! they kick arse!

4TRAXEX
08-24-2004, 06:22 AM
Trust me, many have felt your pain and I've just been through it myself. Read everything you can on these machines, sit on them, research them, ride them if you can. Scour these boards for as much info as you can. If you do your homework you will make the right choice in the end based on which machine fits your needs the most. Each has its positives and negatives but depending on the type of riding you do one or the other may be more favorable. I don't race, never will, have had 5+ Hondas yet still came close to buying the YFZ. If I could have found one sooner I may very well have chosen "blue". In the end I had to be honest with myself and realize that the YFZ's motocross focus wasn't really what I needed. The R's smooth power and super ergo's will treat me better in the fields, woods and home made "tracks" where I spend the majorty of my time. I am also still convinced that Honda holds a reliability edge over the other manufacturers and there products have been stellar for me in the past. The more I pour over my new "love" the more impressed I am with the level of thought and detail Honda put into this machine. Of course, I will still give Yammy credit for what might be the more exciting package. Either way, like many have said, both are worlds better than anything before them and it's an awesome time to have to pick a new quad!:macho

LaSalleKid
08-24-2004, 10:44 AM
I have ridden both and I got the one that was faster & more powerful out of the two.

chad cavagnaro
08-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 4TRAXEX
Trust me, many have felt your pain and I've just been through it myself. Read everything you can on these machines, sit on them, research them, ride them if you can. Scour these boards for as much info as you can. If you do your homework you will make the right choice in the end based on which machine fits your needs the most. Each has its positives and negatives but depending on the type of riding you do one or the other may be more favorable. I don't race, never will, have had 5+ Hondas yet still came close to buying the YFZ. If I could have found one sooner I may very well have chosen "blue". In the end I had to be honest with myself and realize that the YFZ's motocross focus wasn't really what I needed. The R's smooth power and super ergo's will treat me better in the fields, woods and home made "tracks" where I spend the majorty of my time. I am also still convinced that Honda holds a reliability edge over the other manufacturers and there products have been stellar for me in the past. The more I pour over my new "love" the more impressed I am with the level of thought and detail Honda put into this machine. Of course, I will still give Yammy credit for what might be the more exciting package. Either way, like many have said, both are worlds better than anything before them and it's an awesome time to have to pick a new quad!:macho

superbley put!! [spelling]
all input so far is great, you need to make your own decision!

MY450R
08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
yfz is not faster than a trx.
rider rider rider
just because the power is delivered differently doesnt mean its faster
il race any yfz with the same mods and it will be even depending on holeshot

chad cavagnaro
08-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
rider rider rider

im sorry we live so far apart!!!:macho id have to take you up on that challenge.:devil:

450r pimp
08-25-2004, 01:14 PM
My father has the YFZ450 and I have the 450r and to tell the truth the are both great machines. We have a hard time riding because we like to switch so much because each one has special qualities that you like better than the other better they are very similar... If you're looking for fast explosive power with out spending much money take the YFZ if not and you're in it for the long haul take the 450r... They both ride a little different (450r is more smooth when just taking regular terrain) but when pushed I believe that the YFZ is smoother... that's just my 2 cents... Make sure you test drive first though because for being so similar they are sooo different in the same aspect

BlackYFZ450LES
08-25-2004, 03:04 PM
actually the YFZ is a little faster than the 450R, only a little, but it only takes a little to win a race, i dont race but i still chose the YFZ because i like the feel a lot better, the electric start, and to top it all off i think the 450R is just ugly.

the rider has a lot to do with it, but with identical riders if it was possible, the YFZ would have that slight edge.

the YFZ is a bit more expensive, and stock to stock the 450R may be a better trail quad, but still it lacks the elec start which is just silly if you ask me, obviously yamaha kept it to 350 dry with the elec start, why couldnt honda? ive heard silly rumors that the frame is thicker but i doubt that is true since ive heard a few too many tales of frames cracking on the 450R, right here on this board. not to say the YFZ doesnt have its share of problems cause all quads do, i just think honda really screwed it not having an elec start. i am getting a strictly trail quad and i would probably get a 450R if it had elec start. also, on that subject so many people say how the 450's are race quads for MX and nothing else, well they may be MX focused, but the YFZ is the best performing quad i have ever ridden on the trails or anywhere. its all how you set it up, i have full skids on mine and it loves the trails as much as it loves a track or a pit.

anyway good luck, just my two cents, i love the rivalry. its like ford vs chevy i hope it lives on forever

jlhughes750
08-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Get what ever one u can get the easiest and cheapest, cause you'll be happy either way!!!!!!!!!!! I like the YFZ but it just because I got so much invested in it and I 'm used to it and can fly comfortably, the R is still a little foreign to me so it seems uncomfortable.....

In my opinion...... contradictory to what "they" say. I think the R is more of a top end MX monster and the YFZ has more grunt and torque for the woods... The R seems like your going from 1rst to 3rd its got no sack in second!!!!!!! U gotta scream it and clutch it to get it outta a corner and over a short run jump, the Yammi just lugs and pulls strong all the way through!!!!

.:rolleyes: sorry just my opinion... buy the one u like the best, there both awsome rides!!! Good luck!

trick450r
08-26-2004, 08:00 PM
people will say the yfz 450 is better for mx...they will also say the 450r is a trail quad...this is opinion based...dont take anything any says on here to heart for your purchase...i own a 450r im going to tell you to get a 450r...the next guy will own a yfz and tell you to get that...choose for yourself!

by the way 450r is better...lol j/p:blah:

4TraxRider
08-31-2004, 06:03 PM
I got a YFZ and rode a 450R and wished I bought that. My buddy bought a 450R and rode my YFZ and wanted that. Honestly, both are so close in power its not worth arguing about when you have a slip-on on both. It just depends who can launch better. Whatever you get you'll love it.

Ward
09-01-2004, 07:35 PM
I had trouble deciding too. Do like I did and quit debating which you like better and just buy one of each :D :D

theyfctr
09-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Ward
I had trouble deciding too. Do like I did and quit debating which you like better and just buy one of each :D :D

That takes money.

The yfz is definately faster stock but that doesn't really matter becouse you probably won't leave it stock. The upgrade kit for the 450r is suppose to make it quiker than the yfz but you have to break into the engine. i prefer the yfz but it is you r decision.

One_Bad_400
09-09-2004, 09:05 PM
iv been a die hard honda fan my whole life but i have decited on the yfz for what i do, you will have to ride both to make a disision.

my friend has had a yfz for about a year and right when he got it i loved it, and a kid down the street got a 450r and it feels comfortable siting still but once i got it moving it felt tippy,

nhyfzrider
09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
my good pal and fellow exrider member just traded in his 450r for a yfz. the power diff. is evident, but not earth shattering.

Johnson
09-18-2004, 07:02 AM
Stock for stock the yfz is better I think but if you are going to spend some money on them they are both just about the same.

Ex_Rider43
09-18-2004, 11:52 PM
guys im in the same dillema....

I dont care about power diference but how about handling for mx... **modded bikes**

BOONE450R
09-19-2004, 12:04 AM
ride them both, if your going to spend money on upgrades (cam, pipe, filter kit) then dont judge it on power. they become very equal after the upgrades are done. you well spend a little more on the honda(cam) then the yamaha.;)

allmixedup047
09-21-2004, 10:26 PM
i know your delima. i went through the same thing when i was buying a quad. what made it even harder was i could get them for the same price. at the time they were 6000 out the door. i went with the R and i absolutly love it. but lucky for me i have a idiotic buddy that bought a yfz just to have one, he has no business being on a quad but wanted one because i and a couple other friends ride. he never rides it and i think i have more seat time on it than he does. i do most of the work on it and i do most of the tearing up on it too.:devil: so lucky for me i have the best of both worlds. i have not heard of any problems with the 450r, nor have i had a problem with mine.

pick a color, any color. you will be happy.:blah:

TheMachine
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Go with the R, you wont be able to sleep if you get a yamaha.

Kennethyfz450
09-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
SEARCH nobody can make the decision for you.

and how was that post helpful???:rolleyes:

yfz450 is a good hill climbing bike, and it's a good jumper. low center of gravity

honda 450r - is a great machine to ride wheelies, and impress your girlfriend or boyfriend:eek: .. very comfortable and stable...
and it has the honda reputation for being a good dependable bike.

cons for both - NEEDS MORE POWER!!!

Bill Fuller
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kennethyfz450

honda 450r - is a great machine to ride wheelies, and impress your girlfriend or boyfriend:eek: ..

:huh Now that is an insightful discription of the 450R,I bow to you and your ATV knowledge.Plain and simple read all the info you can (search feature)and talk to people who have both machines.There are pro's and con's to each quad.If you have the opertunity to ride either that would be more useful but sometimes not always possible.I have yet to ride the Honda but I know it's a first class machine,it is a Honda.:muscle: The Yamaha is a GREAT bike,I race XC and and feel as comfortable or more than I have on all the ATV's I have ridden.I choose for one simple reason.............................the start button:D People say that the Yamaha is a better MX bike,I don't race MX but I can say if it can get better than WOW!!!The ride is perfect now.My only complaints so far with the YFZ is the airfilter design,chain adjustment,and it stalls easily in the woods.The airbox/filter combo to solve that problem is roughly $100.The chain adjustment,might as well figure on buying aftermarket when the stock swingarm breaks(THEY ALL BREAK HONDA, YAMAHA, SUZUKI blah blah blah)$800.The motor stalls for a reason it loves RPM's.:macho Add a heavier flywheel $125 (hell I'm just guessing at the prices) or in my choice add a Rekluse auto clutch.So as for the Honda you can expect pretty much the same with the exception of the airbox/filter problem.Hope that helps if not than maybe Kenny can describe how fun it is to ride wheelies and impress his boyfriend:eek:

Pappy
09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
hell yeah ill impress anyone i dont care:p

Bill Fuller
09-22-2004, 07:42 PM
You so crazy:blah:

Woody_YFZ
09-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
rider rider rider

Not that I really care that much, but just so you're not mislead. I bought a YFZ 450 on Thursday and a TRX450 on Saturday a couple months (about 6) back, then I took them both to a field and rode the heck out of them. My bro (who is 70 lbs. heavier than me) and I took turns drag racing the two and the YFZ won every single time. I would beat him by 3 - 5 bike lengths and he would beat me by 1 - 2 bike lengths.

To answer the original question. Neither bike is going to disappoint you. It all comes down to riding style. I chose the YFZ because I mx more than anything and I liked the ergos better on it.

BlackYFZ450LES
10-14-2004, 09:11 PM
the mis info in some of these posts is just funny, someone said they "never heard of any problems with the 450R" thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard, all bikes have problems, if someone hasnt heard any with the 450R they obviously havent even looked at the 450R forum on THIS VERY SITE, and many others, its filled with issues with the 450R, same as the YFZ and all the rest. lets get a grip on reality here

MY450R
10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
i dont want to sound cocieted(sp) but noone can beat me in a race and all my friends try and try and try
i will say that the yfz has come the closest so far so i know that the reason is i ride better than my friends
i cant help that, its just the way it is, so one really is not faster than the other(yfz and trx) so y do ppl try to make it sound as if it is
i'll never know

allmixedup047
10-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by BlackYFZ450LES
the mis info in some of these posts is just funny, someone said they "never heard of any problems with the 450R" thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard, all bikes have problems, if someone hasnt heard any with the 450R they obviously havent even looked at the 450R forum on THIS VERY SITE, and many others, its filled with issues with the 450R, same as the YFZ and all the rest. lets get a grip on reality here
your right, i was wrong in saying that. they have had some issues with the frames and a-arms, but honda has been fully behind the problem fixing it from what i have heard. but the yfz has been having more problems, and thats why you have six pro riders switching from YFZ to TRX. Chris Borich seems to be doing pretty good on his TRX now that he can finnish a race.

Southtown00
10-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by BlackYFZ450LES
actually the YFZ is a little faster than the 450R, only a little, but it only takes a little to win a race, i dont race but i still chose the YFZ because i like the feel a lot better, the electric start, and to top it all off i think the 450R is just ugly.

the YFZ is a bit more expensive, and stock to stock the 450R may be a better trail quad, but still it lacks the elec start which is just silly if you ask me, obviously yamaha kept it to 350 dry with the elec start, why couldnt honda?

I think the $7000 yfz450 electrical problems are silly :D . Kickstart will start everytime. Why do you think racers buy the gytr conversion???

Kennethyfz450
10-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Holeshot means a lot when drag racing.. either the 450r or the yfz will win.

yfz pros
electric start
lower center of gravity
forgiving while jumping --- i been expermenting--
great hill climber.. front end doesnt do anything stupid

yfz cons
power- it gets old and boring after a while then you want to do the cam mod , pipe , filter, loose lid, then the next thing you know your gonnna do big bores, stroker, etc

electrial can be some minor issues for some poeple but i havent experience any due to yamaha..

gas hog

r pros
kickstart
comfortable for the trails
easy to wheely
easy to ride on side two wheels while showing off
its a HONDA!!

cons
power- to smooth gets extremly boring:rolleyes:
have to buy a cam :rolleyes: and then you gonna get bored with onloy the cam and want to ditch the stock pipe, lid and the next thing youg gonna do is big bores, strokin, etc.....
doesnt always start on the first kick
doesnt like to climb as good as the yfz

allmixedup047
10-16-2004, 11:05 AM
what is your interpretation of faster............ off the line, or top end? stock vs. stock

the trx is inevitably faster on top end. and its even faster with the 13t front sprocket on top end.
the yfz will jump about a bike out in front off the line, but stock for stock the trx will catch it.

these two bikes are to close to even argue about. what one lacks in one area the other has an advantage in.