PDA

View Full Version : new bearings or not?

quadkrazy400ex
08-23-2004, 04:39 PM
ive never took apart a rear end of a quad, and i have a lonestar axle to put in, is there 2 bearings?, do i need new ones with the new axle, whats the advantages to a new carrier and an anti-fade nut?

Bill Fuller
08-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes there are two bearings in the carrier.I would recommend changing the bearings when you install the axle,no need to have to do it in a month or so.As far as a new carrier the only advantage would be getting a double roll carrier.Bearings will outlast stockers definatly.If you are going to replace the bearings then don't skimp on the choice,make sure they are made in the USA not China or Mexico or whatever.Trust me you get what you pay for when it comes to bearings.A anti fade locknut is not a neccessity it does help to not come loose as often but as long as you regularly check the stocker to make sure it's tight you can save the extra $$.If it is coming loose try wrapping the nut (both of them) with electric tape after you get it tight.

quadkrazy400ex
08-23-2004, 05:29 PM
thanks, do you think i need to order new bearings because their not taht old, i bought it brand new last year

Bill Fuller
08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I generally change out bearings at least once a year.I would suggest while you are putting that new axle in to remove the swing arm and put some anti seize on the swing arm pivot bolt before it's to late.

Foxyangel0425
08-23-2004, 06:04 PM
i am changing the axle bearings on a 300ex and i cant get the axle nut loose, i got the lock nut loose (left hand thread) is the 2nd nut also left hand thread or is it just that tight

Bill Fuller
08-23-2004, 06:15 PM
If memorey serves me I believe they are threaded the same since they both tighten on the threaded thingy(don't know the correct name for it)Its a sleeve that when tightened on pushes back to hold everything in place.Most likely the threads are full of dirt or dinged up from rocks and other debris.What you need to do is move the nut toward the carrier as much as possible until you see the lock ring on the axle.Remove the lock ring and spray the threads down with WD-40 and clean them up with a wire brush.Once this has been acomplished then run the lock nut and other nut out toward the hub,everything should come out now.