PDA

View Full Version : how to shaved the fenders

400ex men
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
i need to know how to shaved the fenders do you have n-e tips on how? or what do it with? thanks:)

300exOH
08-23-2004, 12:31 PM
I just layed it out with tape and used a jigsaw to cut it out. Then I used a file to get it smooth followed by sandpaper.

z-4debt
08-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 400ex men
i need to know how to shaved the fenders do you have n-e tips on how? or what do it with? thanks:)

I dont6 want to sound like a jack *** but this is bothering me.. In your title you put how to shaved the fenders and i let it go but u did it again does that actually sound right to you?

400exbiggun
08-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by z-4debt
I dont6 want to sound like a jack *** but this is bothering me.. In your title you put how to shaved the fenders and i let it go but u did it again does that actually sound right to you?

Maybe before you try to make fun of someone you might want to check your own spelling and add those little things that look like this ",".

Anyway, when i cut my raptor fenders i taped it up, then used a saws-all. That made it really sloppy. So i took some 400 grit sandpaper then took a lighter and went around the edge. That burnt all those little "hairs" and made the edge smooth.

400ex men
08-25-2004, 12:00 PM
thinkx i was seein how b/c i got a race this sat:)

FatBoy Racing
08-26-2004, 03:26 PM
I've done several sets on my quads and others, here's what I use and they come out really nice;

1: Jigsaw cutting wider (1/4" to 1/2" or even more) than where I want them to end up - this is a rough cut that I usually eyeball. Use just about any wood blade on a low speed setting for best control - a low speed ensures that you will cut (not melt) your way through the plastic.

2: Beltsander to shape them to within 1/16" of your final line. This should give you a nice smooth and consistent line, but will probably leave plastic 'hair' all over the place, which will be removed in the next step. You can use a reasonably rough paper here (80 or even 50), but it removes material quickly. If you only have 50 grit available here and find that it's too coarse, just run it against a flat concrete surface to 'fine' it up until you're comfortable.

3: Palm sander to clean up to final line and remove sharp edges. I use a medium to fine paper here. Finer if you elect to skip the next step. This will also remove the 'hair' left by the previous step. One or two quick passes at an angle will slightly round off sharp edges.

4: Small propane or butane torch at a low setting to soften the worked areas. Though this final step is optional, it leaves a really clean, 'factory' look. Experiment on a trash piece first until you are confident in creating the desired effect.

Lastly, I've found that it is easier to do this with the fenders on the bike, rather than having to hold or clamp them off of it.

Good luck and have fun!