View Full Version : Flat track/TT suspension?

White400
08-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Can anybody tell me what suspension components I need to go with for flat track or TT racing? I need to know A-arms, sway bar, steering stabilizer, swingarm, axle? I alson need to know what people do to lower the bikes. I have a 2004 400ex. Want to get it ready for flat tracks. Thanks

400ex men
08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
suspension components for flat track or TT racing LSR A-arms, get a Durablue sway bar, i wood not get a steering stabilizer, i wood not get a swingarm, get a Durablue axle?and to lower the bike i got the to Durablue Lowering Kits

Bean
08-23-2004, 02:50 PM
get zps suspension, make it 50in wide, and if you are serious, get a shorter swingarm will be good, good brakes, and a good motor are nessesary to, along with a swaybar

ghak99
08-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Go as low and as wide as you can. Since your just starting you prob don't want to spend 3000 dollars just to get started. Buy some cheap a arms, a rear lowering strut, some front shocks that measure close to 13", a sway bar, and a used set of tires and wheels and you are good to go. If you like it and want to upgrade parts later than go at it.

EvilJester400EX
08-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Do what I did. Get a sway bar, stock Yamaha Banshee front shocks, and 4 tires and rims all around. Buy used if you can, I got all of that for $300. :devil: The Banshee shocks may not seem good, but eh, they get the job done for someone who's just starting out and only trying it to see if they like it.

Chef
08-23-2004, 09:33 PM
If you want to be serious, you need a set of real TT shocks, the easiest and cheapest are works. The best shocks for TT/Flattrack are easily Afco, they offer a TON of different spring rates, etc, and they are designed for flat track with shorter bodies, not just shorter shafts, which keeps the shock in the middle of its travel.

Go -2" on your swingarm. I run RPM Aluminum TT swingarms, but they are spendy. Lightest wheels you can find, but beadlocks are needed if you are competitive. I have seen a tire get knocked off the rim many times just by hitting a nerf bar at the wrong angle.

Aluminum axles are sweet, too.

dirtmomma
08-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Hey Chef we talked w/ some guys down @ Sand Lake that know your Dad & you, they are race car guys I do believe but can't remember a name to save my life :) They asked if we raced w/ you cuz our quads were lower than most ;)
Are you gonna be up @ Hannagan for the Super TT or the Skagit Speedway flattrack this weekend???????????? We might run the TT we've both been wanting to do one, I'm worried about bottoming mine out though but we'll have to check it out 1st to see.

Chef
08-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Hey Chef we talked w/ some guys down @ Sand Lake that know your Dad & you, they are race car guys I do believe but can't remember a name to save my life :) They asked if we raced w/ you cuz our quads were lower than most ;)
Are you gonna be up @ Hannagan for the Super TT or the Skagit Speedway flattrack this weekend???????????? We might run the TT we've both been wanting to do one, I'm worried about bottoming mine out though but we'll have to check it out 1st to see.

Were they a couple younger guys?

dirtmomma
08-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Were they a couple younger guys?

oh 30's or so?? Looked around my age but who know's :)