PDA

View Full Version : TT set up suggestions

Pappy
08-23-2004, 07:07 AM
after seeing my first TT race i am jonesin' for a crack at it.

what is the best set up? best tires and sizes? shock prefernce?

any help is appreciative!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-23-2004, 03:21 PM
it looks like durablue make lowering kits and rear struts for the 450r they also have the anit-roll bar, just some suggestion I haven't a clue what works best for tt. We watched some flat track this weekend, their bikes were slammed and were running hoosier tires.

SampleThis
08-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I know a lot of people run -1 inch swing arms but im not sure if it is a must.

Z400Racer8
08-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Well I use to race TT and heres what I know, On my Z I had wider axle and a arms depending on your shocks whether they have the lowering adjustment or not you may need a front and rear lowering kit, deffinatley a sway bar and it depends on the track if its open tractiIon TT you need holeshots klaws or Razors If its a tacky track youll need American Racers or Hoosiers go to the races and see what others are running because there are different hardness levels on both Hoosiers and American Racers the softest will hook up thge best but only last one night. Also a -1 or 2 swingarm will also help a lot. Hope this helps some

Pappy
08-23-2004, 06:06 PM
lets review....

hipers all the way around
american star 18 x 10 x10 #23 compound
+2 burgard a arms
-2 burgard swing arm
lsr adjustable axle
rath racing sway bar and lowering strut

im getting there:devil:

29FTEX
08-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Get a set of scales and set the bike up neutral all the way around. Meaning, don't adjust your sway bar down bars to put any pressure on the a arms. They should be "free" of any bind. Depending on the track surface, you should have American Racer or Hoosier. Most definitely 18" 10x10, with the power of the bike, you'll smoke off a set of 10x8s. Get the right combination of wheels and tires so that with the a arms and axle you are at the 50" max width.
4+1 or 3+2 wheels on the front.
There are so many small things to adjust for (bump steer, roll center, side bite, etc) With the info given so far, you should have a hell of a time, and still be competitive. Carry momentum through the corners, feathering clutch and gas. Keep RPMs up.
Having fun is the main point!!!

Pappy
08-24-2004, 08:35 AM
what about the use of a steering stabilizer? i know in mx and xc they are a huge help but im not certian in TT/FT?

wilkin250r
08-24-2004, 11:11 AM
A steering stabilizer in MX and XC are important because you have a lot of jarring bumps. You shouldn't have a lot of jarring bumps in TT, unless you hit a haybail. :blah: The steering stabilizer won't hurt you, but I don't think it will be a big help.

Your tires will depend on the track. Some flat tracks are hard clay, almost like running on asphalt. Hoosiers would work well on this type of track. Others tracks are softer dirt, slightly loose. Holeshots would work well.

You want your suspension wide and low, but you already knew this. I know QJ has a lowering kit front and rear, and also cut a few coils off the spring on the rear shock to lower it even more.

You're on the right track with a shorter swingarm. A longer swingarm means less traction in the rear. A -2 might be a little too short, especially if you have lots of power, you'll have to experiment. You want your swingarm just long enough to keep your front wheels down. Any longer that this simple requirement and you're just losing traction.

wyndzer
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey Kenny, I have a set of American Racer's on rims (only one race)that are almost new if you want to try them before going out and buying new ones. Just getting them to you would be the problem.

There is a big TT following around here, check out the TT section on our site. www.atvnc.com. The TT bike shootout in the new ATV Sport was done at the track right here in town where I used to race.

Pappy
08-24-2004, 11:16 AM
what size are they wyndzer?

maybe bring them to da hatfield?

Pappy
08-24-2004, 11:26 AM
wilkin, thx for the tips.

Burgard is making me a lightweight -2 for TT and it will be done shortly. we are going to use standard +2 arms and an LSR adjustable axle. for the time being i may run stock shocks or elka. hipers all the way around with some type of tire...lol...i havent figured them out yet.

rath is getting involved and should be supplying me with his TT set up and im really looking forward to them. he has some really nice parts from what i could see at the race.

now that the parts list is growing im wondering about proper set up with relationship to the shocks, ride height etc.

quadrcr161
08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
lets review....

hipers all the way around
american star 18 x 10 x10 #23 compound
+2 burgard a arms
-2 burgard swing arm
lsr adjustable axle
rath racing sway bar and lowering strut

im getting there:devil:

thats pretty close set up, IMO i think a -2 swingarm on the 450 will be a bit much. you could prob run the stock one for now. the reason i am saying this is b/c everyone is trying to extend the swing arm 1.25 or 1.5 inches. which that would put you in the general area of a TT bike if you took that much off a MX swing arm. the lowering struts and the sway bar is a must, you can run the stock shocks with that kit and be in the ballpark to see if you liike it 1st. again IMO the hypers are over kill, you can run a black lable wheel and get by. while at lorettas i looked at a set of hipers and they were heavier then a set of just reinfored rings rim, even my g/f could feel the different, plus i didnt see any pro there running them. ( i could be wrong) but again this is a smooth track, the only reason for beadlocks is to protect your tire from de-beading and bumping which could rip the rim apart.

Pappy
08-24-2004, 11:42 AM
im not worried about being the next shane hitt, im more interested in learning about what works and more importantly why.

hipers...simply because i can:p and the dual beadlock rear will give me some piece of mind.

i talked with several riders this weekend and -2 seemed to be the prefered choice on the 450R with a +2 +1 arm.

the shocks will more then likely be supplied by Elka as they have taken such good care of me I would feel terrible about not running them. im certain they can get me what i need with no troubles at all.

once i get it all assembled then the learning curve will start on the track. but if i can get a feel for whats what i can use that knowledge in relation to what im feeling on the track

quadrcr161
08-24-2004, 11:46 AM
cool, good luck, i wish i had that ability to get parts like that and have a place to race TT. all everyone here wants to do is MX :rolleyes: noone wants to run a TT and thats what i was Raised on since 1992.

Chef
08-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey pappy I got you the phone number for K & M. I forgot to tell you yesterday, if you are mainly going to be running those big ovals, gear that sucker up. And also, if you have a choice of front wheels, get a 3 2 for the right side and a 4 1 for the left...and set your LSR axle the same. I did that last year and I could drive in 20 feet deeper. This year we had a set of a-arms built with even more offset and I can drive in 30-40 feet farther than anyone else, passing on the outside....it works.

wyndzer
08-24-2004, 12:02 PM
what size are they wyndzer?

maybe bring them to da hatfield?
Tires are 18x8x10 and 18x6x10 I think I think they are 33's which is med. compound.

I'm not gonna make H/M :(

Pappy
08-24-2004, 12:08 PM
damn wyndzer that sucks:(

chef....

i have been driving burgard nuts about TT and Oval and he said basically the same thing you did. he said that if im serious about hitting TT and Ovals then id need a few sets of arms and front offset combos to maximize the handling for different tracks.

we dont have many TT races close but there is quite a few ovals, some banks others flat tracks. its cool getting into something new and this deffinatley has my head buzzin:p

find a track and work to getting a TT or Oval race going. where there is a will there is a way!

quadrcr161
08-24-2004, 12:15 PM
[

find a track and work to getting a TT or Oval race going. where there is a will there is a way! [/B]

not here, they wont even try an XC. trust me i have tried. like i said, ive been racing ovals and tt since 92, i am the one who helped layout tracks and called everyone to get the weekend show togeather at 14-17 yrs old. the thing that hurts us is everyone says its too expensive, and the tracks dont put the effort into it. one track i help set up had about 20 people comming from all around, even keith little raced with us a bunch, the infield was flooded that winter and the track didnt want to rebuild, another track stopped us because we were faster then the cars, and took time away from them. a go-cart track stopped because they said we messed up the track for the carts. :huh its useless here, i need to move

Pappy
08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
yeah that does suck for you, however i dont know too many racers that have a track 1/4 mile away that they can compete on:p i drive antwhere from 5 minutes to over 12 hours to race so there is a track somewhere in my travels to run on!

quadrcr161
08-24-2004, 12:27 PM
this was all over alabama and in MS some, most tracks were an adverage of 2 hours from down town birmingham. there is one track out past jasper that a few guys run an oval on, but they are just used as an intermission show. pay $25 entry fee and race less then 10 laps the whole weekend. i know of a track in MS thay would do what ever we want but no one will go to it.

but at lorettas i talked to the guys at legacy atv and they had 5 or 6 tt tracks in NC, lol maybe i need to move there, i suck at mx

Pappy
08-24-2004, 12:34 PM
i just searched the atva website for your state and your screwed...

my advice is to move:blah:

wyndzer
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Yep NC has TT tracks all over.

quadrcr161
08-24-2004, 12:42 PM
i just searched the atva website for your state and your screwed...

my advice is to move:blah:

hahaha yep, but trying to descide where to , and about a job, kinda sucks ive been wanting to move for a while.

wilkin250r
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Somwthing that hasn't been mentioned that you may want to look into is your handlebars and controls. I know QJ has some wrist problems associated with her controls. You might want to check out her thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116879

She had two problems, her bars were too swept back, and she was leaning too far foward. The solution to one problem made the other problem worse, which was why I suggested the ROX riser. You may not need the riser, but you certainly want a straighter bend in your bars.

If you're turning left, and leaning off the left side of your quad, it causes two problems. One is your left wrist position, awkwardly bent. You want a straighter bend to help remedy this. The other problem is reaching the far right grip and throttle. You may want a narrow set of bars. Obviously you have the same problems turning right. I can't give you an exact bend that will best work, but I can certainly point out the issues so that you can find a bend that works best for you.