PDA

View Full Version : motor dies...blue smoke, now it runs, and none???

hondarider2006
08-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Well I have had a 416 JE 10.8:1 piston, a hot cam stg. 2 and a rev limiter for about a month now. Running great...except my air boot from my filter to the carb has fell off a few times, letting some dirt into my engine. Today during a race, I stalled it in a corner, and when I went to re-start it, it wouldn't start, and was puffing blue smoke. I pushed across the finish, let it cool down and tried to start it again, which it did. Fired right up, and no blue smoke:confused: When I revved it up, it was like it was rich if anything, some black smoke and thats about it. Think my rings are toast, or wtf is going on here??

kruzofman
08-22-2004, 11:41 PM
were you trying to start it for awile or did it instently start to puff smoke out? because if you were trying to start it for awile you could of fludid it out...is it still doing it or did it stop?

hondarider2006
08-23-2004, 12:09 AM
it started puffing blue smoke right away, so I stopped, pushed it off the track, let it cool down and than it fired up. Now there is no blue smoke.

kruzofman
08-23-2004, 12:31 AM
yea man thats weird well oil got by some how.. oil must of got past the vavles or the ring have you done a compresion test?

cals400ex
08-23-2004, 11:16 AM
if nothing sounds or looks weird, i would keep driving it. make sure it isn't smoking anymore. also, check the oil level.

hondarider2006
08-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
if nothing sounds or looks weird, i would keep driving it. make sure it isn't smoking anymore. also, check the oil level.

Alright Cal, I think I will take your advice. I am also going to do a compression test tonight, and see where I am at. what psi should I look for on the gauge thing when I do a compression test?? its a 416 10.8:1 piston....

ZSK
08-23-2004, 09:29 PM
If your boot keeps coming loose then you need a different clamp. Mine came off and it had some of the symptoms you said. Above 1/2 throttle it would blubber and not rev up. No doubt that made it run a little lean. I used a regualr hose clamp and tightened it down with a cordless drill and didn't have any more problems.

hondarider2006
08-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex
If your boot keeps coming loose then you need a different clamp. Mine came off and it had some of the symptoms you said. Above 1/2 throttle it would blubber and not rev up. No doubt that made it run a little lean. I used a regualr hose clamp and tightened it down with a cordless drill and didn't have any more problems.

Thats what I ended up doing;)