PDA

View Full Version : Algany National Forest...anyone been there?

Foxyangel0425
08-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi All--we are planning on heading out to Algany National Forest in mid Sept. Has anyone been there? How are the trails, I have heard good and bad things about it...like stay off of Marian Trials and go on Timberline. I don't like hills so I am trying to avoid as much as those as i can (lol) so any advice let me know!! :D

ThyJuGGaLo
08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
you mean Allegheny? if so i've heard marian is fun

CBRSLIDER
08-23-2004, 09:26 PM
I live just 10 miles down the road from the Allegheny National Forest. Nice place to ride for all ages and skill levels. The Timberline trail is mostly groomed trails that are shared with the snowmobiles during the winter. So they are really smooth and user friendly. The Marienville ATV trail is not really bad but is not as groomed as the Timberline Trail. It is alot of fun but if you go on a weekend it is packed. If you want adventure go on the Marienville Bike trail. It was the trail that I used to practice XC racing. Narly, rough, roots, mud, water, and tons of ROCKS. There is a place called the rock garden and from the pics I have seen of the rock section from this years Rausch GNCC this rock garden is worse than Rausch.

There are two other places in the national forest that you could hit if you guys are staying for a couple days and want to do a little more traveling. There is the Willow Creek trail near Bradford, PA. Which is another rough, rocky, nasty, fun trail. Then there is Rocky Gap which is near Warren, PA. Which is just as it's named, ROCKY. But if either of these trails are taken slow anyone should be able to ride them.

One thing to remember if you guys are new to riding in the national forest, you will need to get a permit to ride. I don't know what all is needed to get the permit for out of state riders. Check www.paatving.com it should have a link or a section on how to get a permit. Or someone there could answer your questions.

Sorry for the long post but that's the Allegheny National Forest in a nutshell. Wonderful place to ride and is very popular. If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll try to answer it or direct you to someone that can.

Ray

Foxyangel0425
08-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info!! I am not a huge fan of big long steep hills that gone on forever or just straight up like those at Rumble on the Ridge--those are scary for me. The flat surface sounds just perfect cause my quad is a 4x4 and its not the softest riding thing out there and w/our back problems the easier the better. We aren't planning on heading out that way till Sept 11th so we got a little ways to go.