PDA

View Full Version : Lake George, NY

Ryan
08-22-2004, 06:46 PM
I was just up there and only got to ride about 10 minutes before I was stopped by a forest ranger. Luckily he was nice and just told up to pick up the quads and leave. I assume it was state property and was forbiddin for atv's.

Is there any other good spots up there (Legal). I may be done there sooner or later.

I seen one place that had 30 miles of trails to ride on and you pay 10 bucks.... But im curious if I have to have my ATV Registered?

Thanks....

TheFontMaster
08-22-2004, 07:06 PM
First off in NY you have to have your quad registered and inshured if your going to have it off your property. As of legal trails I'm not shure of any and I havent heard too much on that trail pass system. But if you want some good riding come up here. There are a few sandpits up here. One of them there is posted sighns, but the pwner of the pit doesn't mind people ridin in there as long as you stay away from where they are working. They don't like that. Me and some friends almost hit a huge mining dump truck a couple weeks back. It's scarry comming around a corner and seeing this truck with like 6 foot tires right there. Well back to the topic. If you want to come down here I can show you the pit, or if you want directions I can give them to you. But be carefull about riding on any roads. The cops are fine, but the DEC will ticket ya in a heartbeat. There is another sand pitt here too, but if you are so adiment about staying on legal trails that you might want to stay out of this one. It is much more ecesable (sp) bye trucks, so more DEC will be there. But if you want to come down to these sand pitts I can show you around, I know this plase like the back of my hand. And I can garuntee that you will have a great time here.

Sorry for the long post.

Ryan
08-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Sounds cool. My buddy down there told me about a few sand pits. One behind a middle school, and a few other ones that were state property I think.

I will be up there on Labor day weekend... Probably not riding though, just hanging at this guys house. I can't pin point where he lives, but hes got a brook that runs right through his yard, then across that is the powerlines and a pretty large mountain.

I suppose I should get my bike registered soon, just so I don't have to worry about impoundment.

TheFontMaster
08-22-2004, 07:40 PM
well the second pitt that i mentioned in my other post is kinda behind the school here. But just the trails to get there. Where does your friend live? I'm not shure of any mountains up here. And I know that none of these sand pitts are on state property. But if your friend is talking about these pitt's he should be able recognize the names. Gravesville and crouchie's.

FST426EX
08-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Ryan - Where exactly were you riding? Just wondering. I have a cabin up there in Lake Luzurne. There is a new trail pass location right on route 9 in Lake Luzurne @ the Mt. Kenyan Campsite location. Yes, you need to be insured and registered to be a member of the trail pass system. Currently I am not a member of the trail pass system. Not worth the $ for Registration and insurance for the # of times I go up in a year. Most of the riding I do is on Private property. However, I do occasionally venture on to the trail system that is used by the trail pass users. Just wondering where you ran into the ranger and if you caught his name. I know a few up there.

Later,
Mike

Ryan
08-23-2004, 10:24 AM
FST426ex , I really can't pin point the location of where my buddy lives. It was my first time up there (I'll find out later today).

I did not get the name of the forest ranger. He stopped me on the road. I was going to the closest trails....

FST426EX
08-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Was he driving a beat up red F150 Pickup, in uniform and carring a side-arm? Does your friend usaully ride the trails you got stopped on?

Ryan
08-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by FST426EX
Was he driving a beat up red F150 Pickup, in uniform and carring a side-arm? Does your friend usaully ride the trails you got stopped on?

Yup, that was him.

My friend usually always rides the trails up there. This was the first time this happened to him. Hes been up there for about 8 years.

FST426EX
08-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Ryan - I think the ranger that stopped you is named Jim. He is a nice guy. It's a good idea not to run from the Rangers if they see you. If you just stop they will probably just tell you to get lost, like he did to you and your friend. He's just trying to do his job. If you already live in NY you should just get a membership to the TrailPass system. How many of you were riding and did you see any other pick ups in the area? Just wondering b/c My Father-in-law owns property that is sandwiched between state land. I went off the property one day and that is how I met Jim. I think the property is off Thompson Rd.?? Ask your friend if he knows where that is.

Mike