PDA

View Full Version : 440ex vs. yzf450

volvogy101
08-22-2004, 12:23 PM
I am wondering what anyone thinks would win in a race. A 440ex or a yzf450. Here is what my 440 has right now for engine mods.

UNI air filter
Edelbrock 440 carb.
port and polish head
stage 1 hotcam shaft
11:1 piston, a true 440, 89 mm piston
Full yoshimura exhaust
running half race gas and half 92 octane

and the yzf is stock. I know the yzf is fast but I am going to get my 440 back from the shop tomorrow and I have to break it in, but I was just wondering if I stand a chance or not. Thanks for any input.

cals400ex
08-22-2004, 01:10 PM
with a more aggressive cam, i would say you may win. my buddies bike has 11:1 416, with stage 2 hotcam, sparks x-4 pipe, K&N, fcr 39mm. he dragged a yfz from a dead stop thru the middle of 5th. the 416 actually won. once the 416 hit third, it pulled a slight bit. then the 416 hit 4th and pulled a bit harder. in the middle of 5th the yfz still wasn't catching. both were equivalent riders. maybe this yfz was just slow, i don't know. i was kind of shocked.

LaSalleKid
08-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Not bragging at all, but I raced two 440's at the drags and beat them both by 2-5 lengths. I beat them on take off, and through every gear also. It wasnt even close. Even though the 440 has an extra cc over the yfz, it look like it didnt matter that much.

I know you honda riders will hate me for this post, and even think im being cocky but not at all am I being a bit cocky. Im just being honest.

LaSalleKid
08-22-2004, 04:04 PM
You will beat a stock yfz though, I forgot to add that in. I know without a doubt it will. The yfz feels weak stock to me.

frosti108
08-22-2004, 06:02 PM
just wondering, whats stock compression on the yfz?

nakomis0
08-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I've dragged quite a few yfz450 in the sand and if the rider is good, I ussually have them beat by 1/2 to a whole quad lenght until mid 4th gear they start to pull and pass.

JRDrider22
08-22-2004, 06:08 PM
another key factor...: ITS ALL IN THE RIDER

volvogy101
08-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Both me and my friend who was the yzf are the same skill level. I know it will be hard to beat the yzf, I rode his and it seemed pretty fast. But I think that he didn't break it it right. The first day he had it he was riding it pretty hard. Would that make any diffrence in speed or am I way off on this idea. Also what is the best way to break my 440 in?

Cole Trane
08-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22
another key factor...: ITS ALL IN THE RIDER

That said it. ;)

frosti108
08-22-2004, 08:00 PM
volvogy101- some people say you should take it easy during the whole break in process (dont rev fast and dont go past half throttle)
then theres some guys who think you should beat the **** out of it during the break in, in other words, ride it like you would even if it wasnt breaking in (i dont think thats right at all) plus i dont get it because sometimes when breaking an engine in, it wont even rev high AT ALL. anyways...

THEN theres me and i think the best way to break a quad in is to ride easy as hell the whole time except like once a ride ill punch it up to like half throttle. my idea behind this is that punching the throttle once in a while helps to really seat the rings, and gets them more used to what it will be put through during riding after the break in. but mainly i just put around and dont get up past half rev... oh and be sure not to let it bog either... also, be sure to change the oil a whole lot. do this for like 2 tanks of gas and you should be cool.

but yea if you mess up on the break in, the quad could end up being slower than it could be, not living up to its full potential.

JRDrider22
08-22-2004, 08:08 PM
easy way to break in 440. keep te same speed and shift through all the gears but keep the same speed. do that for about 30 minutes thats what i did and not a problem wrong with it now

frosti108
08-22-2004, 08:11 PM
^ i dont think you could do that without bogging out in top gear or redlining bottom gears

volvogy101
08-23-2004, 04:41 PM
I plan on taking it easy for the first few hours of riding and then start to get on the gas little by little untill I can keep it wide open, I will wait untill a couple of tanks untill that happens though. And I also plan on changing the oil couple of times while breaking it in. I figure if I do that it will be the best for the quad. But anybody else's info if I can beat a yzf 450. Has anyone done it with a 440 and if so how much did you beat him by. Thanks

olimj
08-23-2004, 05:26 PM
The break it in hard (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) theory.

425EX
08-24-2004, 09:03 AM
I TALKED TO A FEW QUAD BUILDER AND THEY SAY TO BREAK IN AN ENGINE YOU START IT UP AND DO SHORT QUICK HALF THROTTLE REVS TILL THE MOTOR GETS WARM AND SHUT IT OFF AND LET IT COOL DOWN. DO THIS THREE TIMES. AFTER THE THIRD TIME GO OUT AND RIDE IT FOR HALF AN HOUR. THEN LET IT COOL DOWN. DO THIS THREE TIMES. THEN CHANGE YOUR OIL TO GET ANY METAL SHAVINGS OUT THAT MIGHT BE IN THE ENGINE. THEN YOUR SET TO RIDE. THIS IS HOW ME AND MY FOUR BUDDIES DID OUR BREAK IN PERIOD AND THEY ALL RUN STRONG AND NONE OF US HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH OUR MOTOR.

sharkinthepool
08-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Heck yeah you got a chance!

My 4??ex has had no problems pulling the hole shot and the straights on the yzf's.
Do not get me wrong, I do not blow the doors off but I have not lost a hole shot yet.
I do have to admit, the YZF runs strong and I would rather have a stock bike that run like that than I would a multy $$$bling$$$ bike to out run it.

But, mostly it is WHO is riding each bike.