PDA

View Full Version : 440 kit questions????

CAMPRO
08-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I've got a weisco 440 kit on it's way and was looking for some answers before I got it.

- What's the average cost you guys had to dish out for the old sleeve to be punched and the new one to be installed?

- What's the actual process involved? Meaning... what does the machine shop do to my cylinder once I hand it to them.

- Is it nessecary to install new rocker arms with a new hot cam?

- And is there anything I should be aware of before installing this kit?

Thanks in advance... Drew

F-16Guy
08-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by CAMPRO
I've got a weisco 440 kit on it's way and was looking for some answers before I got it.

- What's the average cost you guys had to dish out for the old sleeve to be punched and the new one to be installed?

- What's the actual process involved? Meaning... what does the machine shop do to my cylinder once I hand it to them.

- Is it nessecary to install new rocker arms with a new hot cam?

- And is there anything I should be aware of before installing this kit?

Thanks in advance... Drew
Prices differ by shop, but I would say about $100-$130 to remove your old sleeve, bore the cylinder, install the new sleeve, and finish hone for the new piston.

The actual process goes something like this: they heat your cylinder up in an oven and the old sleeve pretty much just falls out. Then they mic the outer diameter of the new sleeve and bore the cylinder just a little smaller than the sleeve. The sleeve is then chilled and the cylinder heated to allow the sleeve to drop into the cylinder. Once it is installed in the cylinder, it is held down with a little pressure while they both reach room temperature. Since the sleeve is a little bigger than the bore, it's locked into place (interference fit). After that, the gasket surface is machined to ensure that the new sleeve and cylinder make a perfectly smooth surface. Finally, the piston and inside of the cylinder are mic'd, and the bore is finish-honed to the proper clearance.
New rockers are not require with a HotCams cam, but you may want to make sure that the wear area on the rockers are in good shape, the plating on them has been known to wear through or flake off.
One thing you should be aware of is that the Wiseco kit used to come with a flat top piston (it still may, I don't know for sure). If it does, you will not get the advertised compression ratio without using thinner gaskets and/or decking the cylinder. You may want to have a shop take some measurements before you do the final assembly to determine if any machining will be necessary and what thickness gaskets to use. If you spend the time to do it right, you will get a more powerful bike with the flat top piston as opposed to the domed.

CAMPRO
08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Prices differ by shop, but I would say about $100-$130 to remove your old sleeve, bore the cylinder, install the new sleeve, and finish hone for the new piston.

The actual process goes something like this: they heat your cylinder up in an oven and the old sleeve pretty much just falls out. Then they mic the outer diameter of the new sleeve and bore the cylinder just a little smaller than the sleeve. The sleeve is then chilled and the cylinder heated to allow the sleeve to drop into the cylinder. Once it is installed in the cylinder, it is held down with a little pressure while they both reach room temperature. Since the sleeve is a little bigger than the bore, it's locked into place (interference fit). After that, the gasket surface is machined to ensure that the new sleeve and cylinder make a perfectly smooth surface. Finally, the piston and inside of the cylinder are mic'd, and the bore is finish-honed to the proper clearance.
New rockers are not require with a HotCams cam, but you may want to make sure that the wear area on the rockers are in good shape, the plating on them has been known to wear through or flake off.
One thing you should be aware of is that the Wiseco kit used to come with a flat top piston (it still may, I don't know for sure). If it does, you will not get the advertised compression ratio without using thinner gaskets and/or decking the cylinder. You may want to have a shop take some measurements before you do the final assembly to determine if any machining will be necessary and what thickness gaskets to use. If you spend the time to do it right, you will get a more powerful bike with the flat top piston as opposed to the domed.

Damn... sounds like you know your stuff! Thanks so much for all the help. You answered everything I needed to know.

-Drew