PDA

View Full Version : make it fast(er)

r-exrider0003
08-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Ok im wanting my 300ex to be faster, not fast fast just faster...ive already got exhaust and ive ordererd a rev box....so now im ready to get into the motor...i dont have to much money so i am going to do this by myself...i can get a .20, .40, .60, or .80 bore kit off ebay, wich would include a 11-1 piston, rings, small clips and the thing that goes thru the piston, but my question is what bore should i get and what else do i need for all this to work?(cam, h/d valves, advanced timing????)any info is really apreciated thanks :)

michigan rider
08-21-2004, 08:47 PM
dont forget new gaskets

r-exrider0003
08-21-2004, 08:59 PM
yeah what would them run me and which one(s) will i need to replace?????

r-exrider0003
08-21-2004, 09:21 PM
whoud just a top end gasket KIT work

frosti108
08-22-2004, 12:51 AM
why would you get a bore kit with such a tiny overbore? you might as well send out the cylinder you already have to get whatever bore you want .020 to .080 or somethin and get an 11:1 piston from wiseco or somethin... theres no use in buying another cylinder if thats what i think your doing by buying a kit like that. now if you wanted say a 330 kit or a 390 then yea you need to buy a new cylinder in a big bore kit, but for only up to .080, you should just send out the one you already have for that... and you dont need anything like a cam or springs or anything if you get a slightly bigger piston like your talking about. BUT it would be best to port the head, along with a cam and springs... but im saying you dont need that stuff...

oh and by the way, since you have exhaust and a rev box, you should get an air filter before engine work...
and im going to invest in an oil cooler from mickey dunlop because anyone who has a 300ex knows how hot they get being air cooled and all...

oh and also, before engine work you might try out some different sprockets because they can definatly change a quads personality for cheap. going down a front tooth will net you noticably more torque at the wheels, unfortunatly this will lower your top speed, but some people dont care about that...

good luck with your mods...

r-exrider0003
08-22-2004, 07:21 AM
I was asking what whoud be the best bore to get where reliabilty and power are evenly balenced......i am going to buy a kit off ebay and take the cylinder to my local shop and have them bore it for about $45...o and i already have a K&N....and i will prolly buy a jagg oc later.....so your saying i woud need a new cylinder for a 330 KIT how much would that cost??? and if i just get it bored to 20 to 80 i wont need any other h/p parts(cam valves springs)?

frosti108
08-22-2004, 05:52 PM
yea just get your cylinder bored out for cheap some where, then buy a piston from wiseco or where ever for it. and no you wont need any other new parts with this besides gaskets, and the piston (and the parts with the piston like the pin aand rings and ****)... just a simple top end rebuild.

oh yea about reliability. you cant go wrong with like .020 or .040... theyre pretty much as reliable as stock.
look at my engine mods. .060 over with the other components and my quad is still reliable as hell. hasnt let me down since the rebuild which was way over 6 months ago (besides a bunch of problems with those damn ITP rims...)