PDA

View Full Version : cam timeing

350x/250x
08-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Has any one ever changed their cam timing on their ex? Like advenced the cam gear a tooth on the chain.

DannyB
08-24-2004, 09:00 PM
I have not moved the cam chain on the sprocket, but I have ran my 440 motor without the base gasket and this advances the cam. I have dyno runs from before and after which is how I discovered the power band shifted about 400 rpm towards the bottom and it built torque earlier also. I am already running 16/37 gearing so I didn't notice any loss on top. I am running a sparks gnc 440 setup. I plan on degreeing this setup with a degree wheel for a reference and I am also having my cam gear modded to accept offset bushings so knowing the degrees of advance is the goal behind this madness. I hope this helps. If you pull out the base gasket ,make sure you seal it up with hi-temp honda bond, cause I used red hi-temp silicone and have just recently developed a leak, but the quad has been raced/practiced all season.You also need to make sure that when you pull out the gasket you check your piston to head clearance including your gasket thickness .040 is safe clearance, you will also raise your compression while doing this while adding low end power. Its about the best bang for the buck that I have done being that the motor is apart for a rebuild anyway. ;)