PDA

View Full Version : Results of A Crash !!!!

Quad18star
08-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Well I haven't been on here for the last week cuz of a pretty serious crash that I was involved in last Sunday . I decided to go out riding with about 10 other guys at a local pit and I was only there for maybe 15 minutes when a guy on a dirtbike came flying over a hill and T-boned me . Results ........ nearly severed leg .
I broke both the Tibia and the Fibia (?) bones in my right leg . The impact was so hard that both bones litteraly shattered .. not clean break . All that was keeping my leg attatched was the muscles and skin . On the inside part of my leg there was a nice 10 inch long gash by 3 inches wide that was caused by the bone comming through the skin . The ambulance air lifted me to the nearest hospital where the doctors performed surgery right away . I now have a titanuim rod going from my knee down to my ankle with 4 pins holding it in place . On thursday they operated on me again and did a bone graph where there was no bone left . The doctor had to take some bone , pack it into my leg and wrap it with wire to try and form a bone. I'm not out of the woods yet ... i will most likely need more surgery ... lots of rehab . The doctors figure this will take anywhere from a year to a year and a half to recover . I'll be in a full leg cast for 6 weeks , then see what goes on from there . My best guess is I'll be ridding again before christmas :macho I'll get some pictures next time they remove my cast and show you what kind of damage was caused.

bansheerider_13
08-21-2004, 01:56 PM
damn man you have had some bad luck on quads

i hope everything goes all right and you have a speedy recover tho

08-21-2004, 01:56 PM
hows the yfz

Quad18star
08-21-2004, 02:12 PM
I'll take some pics of the quad , but the only thing that broke was a piece of the plastics maybe about 2 inches in length and a bunch of tire marks on the fenders and on my nerfbar. Not even a scratch on the frame cuz my leg took all the impact .

chucked
08-21-2004, 02:19 PM
lets see some x-rays

Quad18star
08-21-2004, 02:32 PM
LOL ... I'll try and get pictures of those also ..... One of the bones had about 5 inches exposed and there was about a 3 inch section that had no bone at all . I remember laying in the pic and one of the medics was like " Oh look at this " and he holds up a piece of bone about an inch in length and puts it in a zip lock bag and was like " We might need this later ." When I got home today I was looking at my boots that I had on and I pulled a tiny little piece of bone out that was stuck to the boot with blood . The surgeon and the medics said it was the worse break they've seen and told me I was lucky I didn't lose my leg . After I got hit I remember laying there and from about 2 inches below my knee , my leg was turned out 90 degrees .

chucked
08-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
LOL ... I'll try and get pictures of those also ..... One of the bones had about 5 inches exposed and there was about a 3 inch section that had no bone at all . I remember laying in the pic and one of the medics was like " Oh look at this " and he holds up a piece of bone about an inch in length and puts it in a zip lock bag and was like " We might need this later ." When I got home today I was looking at my boots that I had on and I pulled a tiny little piece of bone out that was stuck to the boot with blood . The surgeon and the medics said it was the worse break they've seen and told me I was lucky I didn't lose my leg . After I got hit I remember laying there and from about 2 inches below my knee , my leg was turned out 90 degrees .

Im willing to bet that dirt bike was moving!! Anything happen to the other dude?

K_Banger125
08-21-2004, 02:43 PM
happened to me before but all that happened to me was i went over the bars and got some roadrash and a charlie horse...sorry to hear that you got hurt:(
im the one at the top of the hill about to get hit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/k_banger125/megettinghitbyjared.jpg:eek2:

brian-250
08-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by K_Banger125
happened to me before but all that happened to me was i went over the bars and got some roadrash and a charlie horse...sorry to hear that you got hurt:(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/k_banger125/megettinghitbyjared.jpg:eek2:

Well you DUMBASS MOVE!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :devil:

Sorry to here you got hurt, i thought a bruise the size of a plate on my leg hurt.:eek2: :eek2:

K_Banger125
08-21-2004, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by brian-250
[B]Well you DUMBASS MOVE!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :devil:

i was on my way to go down it...that *** knew i was goin up the left and coming down the right:grr: its all good tho:D

Big400EX
08-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Woah man you must be pretty mad that you cant ride for that long because of someone elses mistake. At least you didn't get your neck or head broken off:huh

LTandRaptorider
08-21-2004, 03:23 PM
:eek2:

My first reaction when reading your post was a groan, followed by a holy f*ck! Dam dude, you have some bad luck. :( when I come up to Canada next ( I think my 10 year ban is almost up!) I'm definitely hanging with Tegan, not you! j/k I'd ride with ya any time. ;) Get better bud, you might want to get one of those bubble suits? :confused: :p

and I hope your head nurse isn't a snaggle tooth! :eek: :devil:

you have to be on a first name basis with the hospital staff by now... I always take my x-rays when going to the dr...

SGA
08-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Man, tough break! :(

Wicked450r
08-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Sorry you had to endure someone else's stupidity....My Wife and I hope you get well fast

TheFontMaster
08-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Pitts can be like that. In the sand pitts here when your at the bottom it can be hard to know where on the top people are. That sucks about your leg dude. I hope you get better soon. But look on the bright side, you don't really need to fix anything on the YFZ.

Admin
08-21-2004, 05:13 PM
sorry to hear about your serious injury, and I wish you the very best with your recovery. It doesn't sound like it going to be a fun recovery.

PismoGuy400
08-21-2004, 05:16 PM
damn dude.. i cant imagine how much that hurt.. i know how much it hurt when the had to reset my broken arm im sure yours was 10x as bad. makes me cringe thinking back about my arm.. but a leg.., 2 bones.. dammn........

hope everything heals properly.. and i hope youve got good medical insurace:rolleyes:

Guy400
08-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Ouch:( I got T-boned one time but fortunately I saw it coming and had just enough time to jump off the bike. The rear tire hit my heel and knocked me on my *** but that was it.

TDBRPH
08-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
[B]:eek2:
and I hope your head nurse isn't a snaggle tooth! :eek: :devil:

In my best Bevis and Butthead voice....

ugg He said Head Nurse

redrunner
08-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Man that sounds like one horrific site, really sorry to hear about that. So you have given no thought to sitting back for awhile? My surgery is in 1o days and nothing like the trauma you have but just a real pain. Six weeks in a cast thing and rehab, make me think a little different. well get well and, a be careful!!

K_Fulk
08-21-2004, 07:10 PM
You have chitty luck. :confused:

Get well soon.

Quad18star
08-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the support guy and girls . It wasn't a pretty scene from what I was able to see .... I only seen through my pair of pants and turned my head when they cut everything off or else I'd have probably passed out . I was able to see the blood and feel the bone and that was enough for me . The guy on the dirtbike was most likely tapped out and he had just crested the hill ( nothing like that one pic of the sandpit) and from what I remember , All i seen was his tire , forks and the KTM emblem on his pipe . I was in about 3rd gear wide open adn as soon as I seen him in the air , I leaned forward to not get everything directly in the chest . His bike hit my leg and the rest of his bike swung out and caught me in the upper body which threw me off my quad . Everything happened so fast , yet everything was slow motion . My adreneline was rushing and I actually had enoughcalmness in me to tell the guys I was riding with to call the ambulance . I gave them my keys in my pocket , told them where my cell was and took off my belt and wrapped it above my knee to stop the bleeding .
I have had some pretty knarly wrecks since I've been ridding .... putting a stick through my side and now this leg injury ... everyone is telling em to take up another sport like golf , but the way I see it , if it doesn't kill me , It'll only make me stronger .

SHOCKER
08-21-2004, 10:38 PM
geez man glad to hear you are still in one piece :eek2: yeah i agree if ya are still alive then dont stop, cant wait for the pics :huh but i have to ask is your bike ok :blah:

Quad18star
08-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by SHOCKER
geez man glad to hear you are still in one piece :eek2: yeah i agree if ya are still alive then dont stop, cant wait for the pics :huh but i have to ask is your bike ok :blah: Besides tire marks on the fenders and nerfbar , and a small crack in the plastic the bike is fine ;)

TGW_400ex
08-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by K_Banger125

I took that picture:mad: You two jsut need to learn how to ride dem motorbicycles;)

Quad18star
08-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Here's a picture I just took of my leg in a cast ...... gotta love the baby blue that they dude chose :confused: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/p5f2bdd605e50815bd08a1749d05abc2d/f7544d31.jpg

bulkdriverlp
08-22-2004, 11:05 PM
aaw sorry to hear bout ur crash. hope ya heal fast..

redrunner
08-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Yup what a pain in the arse, huh. Sleeping is gonna suck.

seven
08-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Hope you get better, Thats the reason I dont like riding out in the desert or places like that. At least on the track everybody is going the same way! I think play riding at the local hole is more dangerous then the mx track!

Pappy
08-23-2004, 09:20 AM
damn son....you have no luck. as soon as you heal up you get wrecked up. someone is trying HARD to tell you something;)

oh well, milk them pain killers

Freestylemxr
08-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Goodluck man, I did the same thing, crashing into a dirt bike but it was head on and to my arm and and it hurt like hell :rolleyes: good luck with the recovery!

Quad18star
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
damn son....you have no luck. as soon as you heal up you get wrecked up. someone is trying HARD to tell you something;)

oh well, milk them pain killers I think someone is trying to tell me to take up another sport ... possibly golf or lawn bowling :p . My surgeon suggested I take up golf .... I suggested this aint gunna stop me from doing what I love . If I can get healed up before the snow falls I think I'm gunna buy a snowmobile and try snowcross racing out this year . As for pain killers .... they only gave me some Tylenol 3's to ease the pain .

Pappy
08-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I think someone is trying to tell me to take up another sport ... possibly golf or lawn bowling :p .

just stay away from lawn darts and golf carts:devil:

Quad18star
08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I was actually considering golf just cuz they have golf carts and sand traps .... would make me think I'm in the dunes or something ;)

redrunner
08-23-2004, 12:51 PM
I was actually considering golf just cuz they have golf carts and sand traps .... would make me think I'm in the dunes or something ;)

Well then take this to the course.!!!:D

redrunner
08-23-2004, 12:52 PM
sorry forgot to resize it!

Rip_Tear
08-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Wow man! I don't know how I missed this thread for 2 days... I hope your feeling better, you better be able to ride by next summer, cause we need to get an Ontario ride going! I have only broken 1 bone before, and it was in my middle finger (go figure, the one I use most :p).

I think you should let me keep your quad, it needs to be ridden so it doesn't rust out :p. If you can't ride you can always take pic's :blah: I don't think you should try snowcross though, I have two friends with no Knee Caps (well 1 has 1...)! because they blew them, the Lester Brothers.

Well I hope you get better soon and it doesn't take to long for you to recover!

Quad18star
08-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Wow man! I don't know how I missed this thread for 2 days... I hope your feeling better, you better be able to ride by next summer, cause we need to get an Ontario ride going! I have only broken 1 bone before, and it was in my middle finger (go figure, the one I use most :p).

I think you should let me keep your quad, it needs to be ridden so it doesn't rust out :p. If you can't ride you can always take pic's :blah: I don't think you should try snowcross though, I have two friends with no Knee Caps (well 1 has 1...)! because they blew them, the Lester Brothers.

Well I hope you get better soon and it doesn't take to long for you to recover! Good thing about the break is that i broke my right leg .... I can still shift with my left leg .. Who needs rear brakes anyways when you got front brakes :devil:

Snowcross is my next sport ... always loved it ... and ya I know the Lester brothers . Maybe if im healed up in time I might get on with the Royal Distributing trailor and ride with them ( since i do work there ) . I'm speaking with head office about setting up a MX/ATV race team for next year that we could maybe run out of the same trailor ... keeping my fingers crossed !!!!