PDA

View Full Version : best suspension set-up for 400ex?

DaleJrFan
08-21-2004, 08:21 AM
i have a stock 02 400ex, the first thing i want to do is beef up the suspension before i dive off in to the motor,i am pretty new to the sport side of atv's though i have had utilitys for years. what are the best things to start off doing and i need help in the terminoligy dept like what does +2 a/swing arms do? a little help would go a long way-thanx

MotoX3
08-21-2004, 09:18 AM
well....plus 2 arms r nice....i would get those from a good company(i dont ride quads...i dont know all the brands...ask around)get a decent set of shocks(ive always here rezzys er nothing)...a longer swinger isnt really necsesarry(sp)....but hey if you got the green go for it...:macho
Edit:re read your post....+2 arms would make your quad 4(i think)inches wider total...because they add 2 inches on each side...and a +2 swinger would just make your swingarm 2 inches longer....somebody correct me if im wrong on the a arms deal....:macho

roostin_dale
08-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
i have a stock 02 400ex, the first thing i want to do is beef up the suspension before i dive off in to the motor,i am pretty new to the sport side of atv's though i have had utilitys for years. what are the best things to start off doing and i need help in the terminoligy dept like what does +2 a/swing arms do? a little help would go a long way-thanx

+2 a-arms give you more stability. You will need some new shocks for wider a-arms.

A long swingarm also gives you more stability. Depending on how well the quads weight is ballanced depends on how much you lengthen it. and im not sure with the 400ex.

If your racing MX and open spaces get some Houser +2 A-arms and Elka Tripple rate shocks with rezzies..probably around $1,400 depending on which elka's you get...

If your into woods riding and tighter spaces get some +1 a-arms, so you fit through the trees better.

Houser swingarm and Elka rear shock is also nice..:)

TC426EX
08-21-2004, 12:13 PM
PEP/Laeger or PEP/JB Racing is best to me, but there are many other options out there...

XCAdam89
08-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Sometime later on I will be running burgard +2+1 or +3+1 A-arms, with elka dual rate shocks with comp. adj. and piggy back res. Its mostly a personal preference, but you can't go wrong with elka, pep, axis, with suspension.

roostin_dale
08-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
PEP/Laeger or PEP/JB Racing is best to me, but there are many other options out there...

PEP's are great if you want to wait 6 months to over a year to recieve them! Elka's arrive within a week.

You have alot of options with a-arms....

Houser
Laeger
JB
Roll
Hermann
Lonestar
Burgard

there all good...

R3Concepts
08-21-2004, 04:48 PM
PEP does not take 6 months. Baldwin is 4-5 weeks out right now. Wayne is the one that it takes a long time to get shocks from, because all these guys order 1 set of shocks at a time. Order 10 or 15 sets and see how much faster they come. For a 400ex, run +3 straight outs and a +1.25 swingarm.

ill_lil_romey
08-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
PEP run +3 straight outs.

What wheel offset do you run with +3

R3Concepts
08-21-2004, 06:29 PM
I ran 3+2 with a stabalizer, but 4+1s handle a touch better.

DaleJrFan
08-21-2004, 06:35 PM
sorry,once again the terminology gets me,what exactly is +3 and +1.25 mean,i think it is inches but kinda confused!!

roostin_dale
08-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
sorry,once again the terminology gets me,what exactly is +3 and +1.25 mean,i think it is inches but kinda confused!!

+3 a-arms means each side is 3" wider than stock! So 6 inches wider overall.

+1.25 swingarm means it is 1.25 inches longer than stock..

DaleJrFan
08-21-2004, 07:44 PM
why exactly do you want to have a wider front and longer swingarm? remember,i am very much a rookie at this!!

Florida400EX
08-21-2004, 08:04 PM
With the wider front end, your quad won't be nearly as tippy as it was before. With the longer swingarm, your quad won't wheelie as much as it did before with the stock swingarm. I have A-arms, and shocks for sale, just copy and paste the link in my sig for info on them.

roostin_dale
08-21-2004, 08:23 PM
however, lol, you dont want it to be wide if you ride trails alot...

440exnacsracer
08-24-2004, 08:05 PM
could you explain what type of riding you will be doing, i would love to help, but there are literally thousands of setups. basically 3 ....trail riding, a little jumping, and full fledge motorcross. also, how much money are you willing to spend. i would reccomend going with elka any way you go. they strive very hard to stay at the leading edge of technology and have some really nice shocks, and some that are more of an economy version, basically anything to suit your needs. as for a-arms, if you are riding motocross only, you want +2 or +3 a-arms, this will widen your quad 4 or 6 inches in the front. +2 a-arms are ok on 400exs, that will be trail riden a little. houser has great stuff, but if you have the money and want only the best, roll design with elka quadrates will give you the ultimate ride (around $2500). or you can get elkas w/o ressies for about $550 and some descent +2 a-arms (america star racing) for about $450. the stock swingarm is in the right position on the ex, a longer one will ofset your center of gravity and you will loose a little traction and a little cornering ability. just explain your type of riding and how much you want to spend and i would be more that glad to help. thanks
Ben

TC426EX
08-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
PEP does not take 6 months. Baldwin is 4-5 weeks out right now. Wayne is the one that it takes a long time to get shocks from, because all these guys order 1 set of shocks at a time. Order 10 or 15 sets and see how much faster they come. For a 400ex, run +3 straight outs and a +1.25 swingarm.

Exactly, you wont be waiting long at all for a set from Baldwin. I have found that dealing with Wayne is a lesson in aggravation. While I have heard of some waiting ridiculous amts. of time for PEP's from Wayne, I have never heard about it when they go through baldwin... Lets not start another "my shocks are better than your shocks" post here, the top 3 all make great shocks, I just prefer PEP and will always use them...

R3Concepts
08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
440exnacsracer,
You did not say anything that has not already been mentioned, also I am going to disagree with your statement about the swingarm being in the correct spot on a EX, because its not. With the longer swingarm it offers better traction, less wheeling, and better cornering. When you add +1 forward arms and a +1.25 or longer swingarm THEN it throws everything off.

440exnacsracer
08-25-2004, 07:28 PM
alright, i dont feel like arguing, sorry i tried to HELP

DaleJrFan
08-25-2004, 08:16 PM
thanks ben, i am going with works just because i dont ride hard enough to need resivoirs for my shocks or i would use elkas. i mainly am just riding in river beds with some jumps ranging from 3 to 7 feet,nothing crazy yet. i also am going with +1 a-arms due to i do a little trail riding and dont want anything to wide. thanks again for the assistance!

R3Concepts
08-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean to flame on you, we're all trying to help each other.

440exnacsracer
08-25-2004, 09:25 PM
its cool r3, i just got carried away and rambled on and on about the stuff, when i could have just asked what kind of riding he does. looks like he has figured out a pretty good set up though, and thats what it was all about:)
ben

JRDrider22
08-26-2004, 07:56 AM
the hottest set up for a 400 right now is either one of the two

+2 a-arms and +1.25 swimgarm
+3+1 a-arms aka long travel and + 2 swingarm..

thats what everyone has at our locals. more race tracks all have long travel though

Cody_300ex
08-26-2004, 07:46 PM
My dream front end is a Laeger Protrax front end with Pep oversize ressies and fully adj.

TM426
08-26-2004, 07:59 PM
I think the best set up if you go up 1" in the front. The best thing to do is add a 1.25 swing arm to balance out the wieght transfer. Thats just my .02 (but for the most nobody can tell you what the best set up is. It depends on where and how you ride. Most of all what you feel is comfortable)

toby400ex
08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Throw some blaster shocks on it and be done wit it.

DaleJrFan
08-28-2004, 09:38 PM
what are some shocks that are better than stock but dont cost a arm and a leg?

TM426
08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
I just ordered some works triple rate shocks off ebay and sent them to Derisi racing to get revalved with the pro millenium kit. From what I hear its suposed to make a big difference. Everything was about 500 for the fronts. Ill post after I get them back and try em.

JDiablo
08-28-2004, 09:54 PM
anyone running a +1 longtravel front end with elka quad rates?i just ordered a set of houser arms with elkas for the 400,would like to know,and pix if you have

440exnacsracer
08-29-2004, 06:57 PM
OMG you got the quadrates?:eek: probably the worst shock ever made:D :D j/k, should be the ultimate set up for x/c, and especially for your riding...alot of dough to dish out though

JDiablo
08-29-2004, 08:51 PM
yea can't wait to get that setup....LT houser arms,quad rates....man i jus jizzed myself....lol