PDA

View Full Version : new rider needs pwr help

DaleJrFan
08-20-2004, 09:40 PM
just bought a 02 400ex,the guy i bought only added a ct pipe,everything else is stock. what can i do to make it faster? i have some open areas to ride and enjoy catching some air but what is a good all around package for trails and letting it air out?

MotoX3
08-20-2004, 09:43 PM
a good set of shocks is said to make u ride faster..id suggest elkas:macho

nosliw
08-20-2004, 10:29 PM
kn or uni filter
jet it properly
increase cc's
bigger carb
faster you say? increase front sprocket
bigger rear tires...idk

khen
08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
If your talking faster acceleration, a high compression piston and cam as well as jetting and a moded airbox(if not already done). These are fairly inexpensive mods for the power gains. Of course you could also go with a bigger bore, porting/polishing, bigger carb, bigger valves, etc. But those items can get expensive.

If your talking faster top end speed, yea bigger rear tires or a bigger front or smaller rear sprocket, of course you would loose acceleration a bit with the taller ratio.

If you like to jump and ride rough terrain I too would suggest putting your money into the suspension first. Those stock shocks(expecially the fronts) can wear you down in a hurry. I bought a used pair of revalved front 450R shocks(here comes the flames) and I turn much better lap times. Or you could of course drop the money into some more expensive shocks and probably get even better results.

PismoGuy400
08-21-2004, 11:36 AM
do the easy stuff first... pipe, filter, air box mods, rejet... then do suspension mods (i just bought some elkas :D ).. and some good tires ( RAZR 2s) that hook up on those trails you speak of

then go crazy.

400-416EX
08-21-2004, 04:35 PM
You could go for a larger bore size. I just got a 416 and it woke the bike right up. I would have to say do the suspension first then the motor.