PDA

View Full Version : what do ya'll think of a....

Out_Sider
08-20-2004, 07:27 PM
1991 Jeep Renegade with 13.5 inches of lift on 38s? 4.0L inline 6, fuel injected, k&n cold air intake kit, Ford 8.8in rear end, 4.56 gears front and rear, 5 speed manual, its red, and has a header, and glass pack exhaust, and the tires are 38in Gumbo Mudders, and it also has a Chromoly bumper, step bars, and rear bumper with a hitch made into it, and a soft top with full doors. The guy is asking 8 grand and the truck is in GREAT condition idles great, and it sounds bad *** :cool: do you think he is asking to much or just about right? i want a Jeep, and i wont settle for any other vechical, but do you think i could find a better deal? i want a jeep that is already lifted on ATLEAST 35's, and this one has 38s and looks baaad. give me all/any oppinions.

thanks, darrell

400exrules
08-20-2004, 07:28 PM
well... i think any deal is a good deal if your happy with the outcome, do wutever feels right

Big400EX
08-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
well... i think any deal is a good deal if your happy with the outcome, do wutever feels right

Yeah thats pretty good advice, someone might not like it one here but other will. I think it's pretty cool.

Out_Sider
08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
the jeep is bad ***, and i love it, but alot of ppl said that 8 grand is expensive for a 91 even with the mods it has.. but the problem is i'll probably be partin out the 330ex to get some money to put towards the jeep, and get a loan for the rest of it, so money is an issue, and the insurance is gonna be up there i know. but are there any jeep guru's on exr that could talk to me about this stuf?

bansheerider_13
08-21-2004, 02:05 PM
13.5 inches of lift on a jeep you turn and that thing will roll over :eek:

K_Banger125
08-21-2004, 02:23 PM
my bestfriends dad builds jeeps mostly cjs tho and he said that with 35s and a 7 inches of lift (4 suspension 3 body) that ounce you get up over 60 it gets squirrly...he said most jeeps are like that if you lift them and put tires on them...but then again he builds his jeeps with nothin below a 360 :D

4wheelboy
08-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by K_Banger125
my bestfriends dad builds jeeps mostly cjs tho and he said that with 35s and a 7 inches of lift (4 suspension 3 body) that ounce you get up over 60 it gets squirrly...he said most jeeps are like that if you lift them and put tires on them...but then again he builds his jeeps with nothin below a 360 :D

just make sure u wheel that badboy. i like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/mx300exshift/DSCN2909.jpg

FourFiftyFour
08-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
just make sure u wheel that badboy. i like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/mx300exshift/DSCN2909.jpg

thats not a jeep, thats a bronco :p

diesel-mech
08-21-2004, 09:22 PM
4:56 gears is not tall enough for 38"tires. Especially with and inline 6 cylinder. It needs 5:13 gears to bring it closer to a stock ratio. It won't hold overdrive if you hit a slight hill. Also I'm assuming that it still has the stock dana 30 front diff. Not a good idea for the weight of the 38's. What is the angle of the front and rear diffs? If the pinion bearings are higher than the oil level you won't go long before you lose the bearings in the diffs. does it have cv joints in the drive shafts? Does it have the stock transfer case? does it have the stock asian transmission?

What I'm triing to get across to you is that in order for a jeep to handle the weight of extreme tire sizes it will need major modifications. Just because the tires fit doesn't mean it will be reliable. If you were to send me some pics of the driveline I will be glad to tell you what was done right and what is going to fail.

I'm not triing to sound like a "know it all" but I hate to see someone get screwed because they have stars in their eyes and the seller is looking for a sucker.

440ex2001
08-21-2004, 11:10 PM
I am a former jeep guru. i have built 3 from the ground up. The main thing with having a good Jeep is keeping it balanced. The 38's will destroy the 8.8 and dana 30. Thats way to big for those axles you should have at least a 44 front and a d60 or gm 14 bolt rear. If you just cruise around town you'll be find but you you wheel it it wont last long. 13.5"s is alot of lift way to much for 38's. The highest you can go with a leaf sprung jeep is 4" or you could get a mono leaf lift for 6" from sky jacker so that tells me that some one has done a SOA conversion this moves your spring perches from the bottom of the axle to on top giving you approx 6" of lift so then you'd have to add lift springs and a body lift on top of that to get to 13.5" SOA's are VERY dangerous if not done right. All you steering linkage will be an EXTREME angle even if you got a drop pitman arm. I have seen to many hack jobs out there done by guys that just do everything they can to make their jeep the tallest one around think nothing about safety. 8000 is way to much. It doesnt have 1 ton axles a v8 lockers wicnh full roll cage does it? I say if you have to have a jeep find a solid early 80's late 70's cj-7. You could get one for 2500 or so. Buy a 4" lift maybe some 1.75" shackles and some 35's You can run 35's on stock axles if you dont lock em up. It alot more fun and cheaper to buy a stocker and build it the way you want and that way you can make sure its SAFE. Thats the most important thing. I cannot stress that enough. I have driven many jeeps that were freakin huge and were scary to drive. I say pass on it and build your own or you could give me the 8000 and I'll build a nasty crawler or trail rig for you :) Go to this websit it helped me a ton http://www.jeepboard.com.http://my-rides.com/pics/77_36

PismoGuy400
08-21-2004, 11:27 PM
^^ knows what hes talkin about..

sounds cool, but like said before, 13.5 is WAY to high for a jeep.

ED:440ex2001, what kinda exhaust is on your grey jeep up there? and what size are those boggers?

440ex2001
08-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Those exhaust were just factory header pipes as two glass packs. The tires were 35x14.50's on 15x10 rims. I traded that jeep for my quad a couple months back.

lil400exdude
08-22-2004, 12:14 AM
heres a link to my dads jeep truck, soon to be mine hopefully
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3785&highlight=trucks

by the way its the first one, the big ugly j20:blah:

diesel-mech
08-22-2004, 12:35 AM
If your actually going to go wheelin in your jeep than ditch the body lift! They will shatter. If you want to do a spring over conversion use a set of dana 44's from an international scout. they fit great and they are much stronger than stock. you have to convert your t-case to right hand drive....

You know what? This is going to be a pain to explain how to build a jeep/rockcrawler correctly...

I suggest you put your $8,000 down on a rubicon, they have dana44's already with 4:10 gears, lockers, rear disk brakes, 4:1 gear reduction, plenty of power, and coil spring suspension. buy a lift, some 35" mud tires, and a 9500lbs.winch. have a rool cage built for it also. Now you are done have fun wheeling. You'ld be hard pressed to find a trail you can't get through.

440ex2001
08-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Diesel-Mechanic has a good idea. A rubicon will climb up a frickin tree. If you leave it stock and you get one under warranty they'll fix what ever you break! You cant beat that. The down side is they cost anywhere from 23,000 for a 03 or over 30,000 for an 04.
They might have came down since the last time I checked. I still say get an old Cj-5 or Cj-7 or even a Cj-8 if you can find one thats not to high. Get a one with a 304v8 (underated very stout) t-176 4speed (strong tranny) and a dana300 t-case(strong case)for 2500. These are pretty common. Then you could go to a junk yard and find an old 1-ton truck that has been wrecked but has good axles (d44 front,d60 front is alot better/14bolt rear or d60 rear). You could pick a set up for 200 bucks if you look hard enough. Then go to poison spyder's website and order a full width axle kit they are about $350. It allows you to run your axles which are alot wider than stock with out having to re-locate spring perchs and without worrying about getting your drive shaft angles right.They just move your stock spring hangers on your jeep out ward to line up with the GM or Ford axle perches. This gives you an automatic lift of 6" then you could get a 2" super lift on top pf that for $300. Get a poison spyder hi-steer kit to move your drag link above your springs so it wont hit when you fles the suspension. Then get Tom Woods Inc to build you some Drive shafts $400 get some extended brake lines $100. If you have to go to 38's the'll run you about $1000 add a locker $450 and you will have a bas arse you for around 5300 hundred. You may or may not have to go through the axles and replace bearings and seals and othe than installing the locker and welding the outboard kit you can do the rest your self it pretty easy so labor costs want be that much. My point is if you really want a jeep you have lots of options and you dont have to spend a ton of dough to have a nice one if you are willing to be patient and do a little work :)