PDA

View Full Version : 400EX brake light how-to???

hardtime
08-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I was wanting to add a brake light on my 400ex. I have searched the forums with no real how-tos listed. I can do the work myself but ideas would be a great starting point. Any info is greatly appreciated... BTW -- as cheaply as possible and only need rear light hookup.

RytM1
08-21-2004, 07:28 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118536&highlight=brake+light
There are two different ways in this thread. We both used electrical switches, but I replaced the whole light assembly, compared to just adding an additional "hyper-lite". I think I remember a while back that someone was talking about somehow removing the stock bulb socket, and putting in a replacement socket that will except the proper bulb, but I'm not sure about that. After that, you can either do the electrical switches, or you can get the pressure activated switch which is built into the banjo bolt (not sure how those are wired though).

Now, for the how-to for the electrical version. With the proper socket, you will most likely have three wires coming out of it (ground, running light, brake light). The electrical switch will have two wires coming out of it, ground and power. Connect the socket ground and running light wires where the stock socket connected to. Connect the third socket wire to the power wire of the switch. You will have to find a place to connect the switch ground wire. Rickster found a switch and bracket from a YFZ. I had to kinda modify a bracket from another application to work with mine.