View Full Version : picking up my new quad in the morning. any tips?

turboTony
08-20-2004, 03:27 PM
This will be the first bike I ever bought that was brand new. All my others were used and always had mud/oil stains under the fenders. Is there anything I can do to minimize this aside of rinsing off after every ride? I was thinking a good coat of wax or something might help it not stick as much.
Any other tips tricks I should be aware of before I go get it dirty for the first time?

oldsandman
08-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Wax, amorall, pledge...anything will help, but you will still have to clean it sometimes to prevent the staining.

08-20-2004, 05:03 PM
if you are getting black & worried about things like that then be prepared to go insane... ;)

turboTony
08-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
if you are getting black & worried about things like that then be prepared to go insane... ;)
Oh, I'm definetly not worried about it. The first thing I thought of was how bad scratches and stuff are going to stick out. hehe.
I was just wondering what you guys do to keep it to a minimum since I see so many sick looking quads on this forum. :D

WhiteZee
08-20-2004, 05:36 PM
i would just wipe it down with wd-40. and use a pressure washer every once in a while.

adambomb
08-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Put baby oil in an old used spray bottle and apply it under the fenders before each ride. This will keep the mud from sticking to them.

turboTony
08-21-2004, 12:24 AM
actually, the baby-oil idea just made me think of something. We use silicon spray at work to keep plastic/rubber from sticking to molds. I'll bet a light coat of that stuff would work well and not be all, well... oily. ;)
Even better is we have cases of the stuff lying around.

turboTony
08-21-2004, 09:25 AM
HO.

LEE.

CRAP.

I just got the bike home and went for a 15 min ride. Power is better than I had hoped. A little much for the first 1/8 mile of tight trails behind my house till they connect with some others and open up.
I think my first mod is going to be a 12 tooth front sprocket. :D Geared WAY too high. I felt like a noob when I stalled it 2X as soon as I got on it. :macho lol.

Antnee77
08-21-2004, 09:32 AM
lol. Sounds like it may be a little too high strung for the trails. I'm sure the sprocket will do some good, though. I wish you the best of luck w/it!
BTW, where in Mass are you?

turboTony
08-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Sturbridge, MA. About 30 min south of Worcester.
edit: I never bothered spraying down the fenders or anything. I got it home and couldn't wait to take it for a ride. After todays rain, it now has it's first coat of mud on it. :D
My neighbor's at the gym right now. When he gets back we're gonna go back out until midnight or so.

jeepnrocks
08-21-2004, 10:11 AM
first thing i would do is get a 13t fron sprocket :)

Bad Ass TA WS6
08-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by turboTony
edit: I never bothered spraying down the fenders or anything. I got it home and couldn't wait to take it for a ride. After todays rain, it now has it's first coat of mud on it. :D
My neighbor's at the gym right now. When he gets back we're gonna go back out until midnight or so.

It rained up here so bad last night. It POURED hardcore for a good half hour. I wanted to go riding in the worst way today, think I'm going to wait till things get a little bit drier.

Only plus is that there is no dust.

I totally agree with you on the gearing, I think I'm going to wait until I get some more time on the bike before I change any gearing.

Antnee77
08-21-2004, 03:29 PM

That's funny because the same thing happened to me. Me and a buddy went to pick up a 2001 KTM 250EXC and we brought it home and I kicked it over. The second I got it started, the rain came down like a mothafcuka!!! Sucks cuz I wanted to ride it! Anyways...have fun on the 450!

turboTony
08-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Just got back about 45 min ago. Left at 6-ish.
Wow! What a machine! I'm so happy I got it.:D I'll be changing the front sprocket SOON! I want the power more where I need it. Kinda hard to ride in tight technical stuff but then again, I just got it today.
I'm sure I'll be sore as hell tomorrow. I haven't ridden that hard in quite awhile.

Punk'd
08-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Wow! What a machine! I'm so happy I got it.:D I'll be changing the front sprocket SOON! I want the power more where I need it. Kinda hard to ride in tight technical stuff but then again, I just got it today.
I'm sure I'll be sore as hell tomorrow. I haven't ridden that hard in quite awhile.

Sweet man im getting a 13 tooth sprocket 2:D

Bad Ass TA WS6
08-22-2004, 01:05 PM

I'm going to NEED to change the sprocket as well. 1st gear is much to tall for any trail riding around here in the woods.

2nd and 3rd are my favorites though. I can get it up 12 o' clock just like on a 400.

turboTony
08-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Bad *** TA WS6
I'm going to NEED to change the sprocket as well. 1st gear is much to tall for any trail riding around here in the woods.

2nd and 3rd are my favorites though. I can get it up 12 o' clock just like on a 400.

Yup. I stiffened up the rear cause in 2nd and 3rd, I couldn't keep the front wheels down if I got on it to quickly. Mid-range is real nice. ;)
I also made the compression harder and rebound a little softer up front.
Who's got the best prices on 12 tooth sprockets? One of the guys that rode with us last night had one and says it makes woods riding much more tolerable. Unfortunately, I never got to take his for a spin. He also has the HRC kit so I was kinda hoping I'd have a chance. Maybe next time... :D

Antnee77
08-22-2004, 03:22 PM
I have a question for you: is it that powerful that when you rev it a little while letting out the clutch the front end goes up? I like being able to do nice wheelies and all but I would rather not get thrown off the back of it. In other words, is it easy to flip it like on a two-stroke? Thanks

Bad Ass TA WS6
08-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Antnee77
I have a question for you: is it that powerful that when you rev it a little while letting out the clutch the front end goes up? I like being able to do nice wheelies and all but I would rather not get thrown off the back of it. In other words, is it easy to flip it like on a two-stroke? Thanks

No, that's what we're saying. Let off the clutch too fast and you'll stall. It rides in that aspect like a Banshee, a little feathering of the clutch is required when you take off. But in the woods, I was on the clutch just as well, first gear is looong. Until you get going maybe 5MPH, it bogs down.

I'm hoping that with a sprocket change I'll be able to hang this thing 12 o' clock right off the bat. It's really not possible to creep along straight up in first in stock form.

turboTony
08-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Bad *** TA WS6
No, that's what we're saying. Let off the clutch too fast and you'll stall. It rides in that aspect like a Banshee, a little feathering of the clutch is required when you take off. But in the woods, I was on the clutch just as well, first gear is looong. Until you get going maybe 5MPH, it bogs down.

I'm hoping that with a sprocket change I'll be able to hang this thing 12 o' clock right off the bat. It's really not possible to creep along straight up in first in stock form.
exactly. I was talking about when I'd get on it when I was around 3-4K. Alls it would take was a little bump and the front end was in the air. I did this :eek: a few times. :D

Antnee77
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Has the quad ever thrown you off?

awj8074
08-23-2004, 10:50 PM
what it will look like after a little mud

http://uploads.offtopic.com/files/trx450.jpg

turboTony
08-23-2004, 11:11 PM
mine was a little worse than that.:cool:
And one of the things that pissed me off was the fact that whenever I touched the bike with my legs after I got the mud on it is now dull from all the fine scratches. :rolleyes:
In responce to Antnee, No I haven't gotten thrown yet. :macho

Antnee77
08-24-2004, 09:35 AM
mine was a little worse than that.:cool:
And one of the things that pissed me off was the fact that whenever I touched the bike with my legs after I got the mud on it is now dull from all the fine scratches. :rolleyes:
In responce to Antnee, No I haven't gotten thrown yet. :macho

Yeah the dirt will do that to you when you touch it dry. Plus, the black shows more scratches than anything else!

TRX450R2
08-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Put scuff proof tape on it now before it looks like S***:D

kheft
08-25-2004, 11:49 PM
did you even break in the engine?

turboTony
08-26-2004, 11:26 AM
I've got about 4 hrs on it. I'll be changing fluids this weekend before I go out.

Antnee77
08-26-2004, 11:05 PM
How often does Honda recommed you change the oil?

turboTony
08-27-2004, 01:07 AM
They told me to bring it in for the 1st service after the 4th tank of gas but I want to change it soon since there's probably a ton of metal flowing through everything right now.
Breaking an engine in produces quite a bit of metal in the oil. I've heard of people completely trashing turbos while breaking in a new engine. (on cars obviously)

08-27-2004, 06:59 PM
that black is SWEEET!!!!! just one thing to worn you about...............TAKE THE CHAIN GUIDE BOLTS OUT AND LOCKTIGHT THEM BACK IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WHEN THEY SAY KEEP THE CHAIN AT 1" FREE PLAY THEY MEEN 1'' AT THE MOST. my front guide bolts backed out and broke the threaded holes and this is VERY comon. also the rear geometry is that when the rear is fully compressed the chain is at it's loosest, unlike most quads. a loose chain will be thrown against the guide and shift lever so if you hear it under hard acceleration its to loose ;) those are all i found in almost a whole season of racin so check that out and enjoy the thrill ride:D