PDA

View Full Version : Cam questions

Mitch400EX
08-19-2004, 11:51 PM
The Webcam in my quad is shot. One lobe has a gnarly chunk out of it, the rest are scratched up pretty well. It screwed up a couple of the rockers pretty bad too. The thing is I don't very many hours on the cam. I used the break in lube, and I went easy on it the first couple of rides. I also change the oil regularly and keep the valves adjusted. Are Web Cams known to crap out quickly like this? Is there a better brand out there?

cals400ex
08-20-2004, 12:35 AM
was it the cam that was in bad shape or the rockers or head? i bet you will need a new head a rockers for sure now.

K_Fulk
08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Did you have your rockers hard welded when you installed the cam?

Mitch400EX
08-20-2004, 03:12 PM
No I didn't have the rockers hard welded, its not a wild cam, but it is a little more aggressive than stock. I bought a kit from LRD and they said I wouldn't need that done. Guess I should probably have it done this time around

Steve-o 400EX
08-20-2004, 04:10 PM
yea, i believe u do need hardface rockers for that cam, the only ones i know u dont need hardfaces for are the hotcams and xr400 cam.

atvracr350
08-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Isn't hard facing your rockers going to protect your rocker arms not your cam. The rockers shouldn't have done anything to the cam. The cam should have screwed up the rockers.

K_Fulk
08-20-2004, 06:03 PM
You need hardend rockers for all the web cams. They are rewelded cams. If you do a search you can find more in depth information. I'm sure your rockers arent that great either anymore.

Hot cams, tc's cams, and factory honda cams are the only ones you can drop in. That I know of.

BSTURDIVANT
08-20-2004, 09:25 PM
The rockers are hard welded to be compatable with the cam. Stock rockers are chrome plated and the Web cam's aggressive profile wipes the chrome (about .012 thick), then the rockers eat the cam. This is why the hard weld rockers protect the cam!
NEVER run a Web cam without hard welded rockers!

frosti108
08-21-2004, 01:41 AM
ya i had to get my rocker arms hard welded like last minute before i got my engine rebuilt... damn web cam...

hey why the hell are they called web cams :confused: