PDA

View Full Version : how to check for a bent frame ASAP!!!!

Tommy 17
08-19-2004, 09:12 PM
well after putting my quad on the wheelie bar and not lookin at it for about 2 weeks (still waiting on parts go figure)... anyways i noticed that my right wheel is MAJORLY toed in... the left tie rod is bent for sure the right one don't look to be bent... now when i looked at it on the wheelie bar u can tell something is majorly bent bc my bars have to be 1/8 of the way turned so the right wheel is straight and the left is totaly messed up...

also the right wheel was not the wheel that came apart in the crash it was the left...

i think my frame is bent so how can i tell if its bent... what can i measure or check to make sure... i think when the left a-arm hit it may have pushed that side of the frame back and twisted it but i can't tell looking at it... what can i do to check if this frame is straight... i have 8 days till i leave for college and no time to really rip this thing apart... so if i could do it without the front end on it that would be perfect...

basically i need to know how to check for a bent frame... i'll get a picture in the daylight tomorrow....

BSTURDIVANT
08-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Visually look at the frame just behind the lower rear a-arm mount. If bent much it will wrinkle there!

You can get a accurate measurement by running a string down the bottom of the frame- rear to front. First measure the frame between the footpegs in the rear and mark the center. Do the same at the frame in the front where the outer frame taper stops (narrow point about 1' back from bumper). Anchor the string at the center point in rear and pull tight toward front bumper. When the string lines up on front mark(1' back), have someone measure front left and right of string. Measurements should be fairly equal. Probably has a bend spindle where hub bolts on.

Tommy 17
08-20-2004, 09:10 AM
k... i'll try that tonight when my dad gets home to help me with it...

08-20-2004, 12:42 PM
my frame is just like yours but prob aloot less..ii call it tweaked...anyways my front right tire is towed out....if you feel underneath the frame you can maybe see where it wrinlkes up like the other guy said...also... have your dad or someone help you set it up onto its grabbar (of u cant do i t by yourself,,,its difficult for me too) & then you will definately be able to tell if its as bad as you said it is...good luck & 400ex frames are a dime a dozen..my 450r frame isn't..:( stuff happens....be glad your not hurt & have fuin at college

Tommy 17
08-20-2004, 01:27 PM
its easy to get on the wheelie bar haha...

we measure the frame and we don't think its bent but we think it twisted the steering stem... so i have to take that off and check it out...

cletusEX
08-20-2004, 08:40 PM
I found out my frame was bent with a level. I stood the bike up on the grab bar and placed a level on where the bumper bolts up then moved the level back to where the oil tank bolts up. The frame was level at the oil tank but not level at the bumper. It is not really precise but mine was bent enough to notice a significant difference. This won't work all the time because both measurement might be unlevel due to the axle or grab bar being bent. But if they are different you know there is a tweak somewhere in the front of the frame. Hope this makes some sense.

Tommy 17
08-20-2004, 08:45 PM
i'll do that just to double check tomorrow...

been to tomahawk latly cletus??? i wanna go back bad but i don't have a quad right now:(

cletusEX
08-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i'll do that just to double check tomorrow...

been to tomahawk latly cletus??? i wanna go back bad but i don't have a quad right now:(

Yeah I was up at Tomahawk a few weeks ago. It was really muddy but was still a good time. I might be racing a mx race there on Sunday but I just got my wisdom teeth, so I kinda have to play it by ear.

wvspeedfreak
08-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey Cletus or Tommy,is there an area for spectators at Tomahawk?I would like to go check out the race tomorrow.

cletusEX
08-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Hey Cletus or Tommy,is there an area for spectators at Tomahawk?I would like to go check out the race tomorrow.

Yeah there is plenty of places to watch the race at Tomahawk. I won't be up there, I just decided to go out and play ride a little due to having my wisdom teeth removed on Friday. Have fun.

wvspeedfreak
08-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info Cletus.Good luck recovering from the dental work.

Woodsrider
08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Im betting its a bent spindle, Mine was the same way. I did a lot of measuring of the frame, re-aligned the front end and everything I finally pulled the spindles off and looked at both of them and the left was bent. Mine was so bad that at one point, with the wheels cranked to left stop the back inner edge of the wheel was rubbing on the lower a-arm:o I was in a bind so to stop it from rubbing I welded a bead on the steering stem to lessen the turning radius on that side. This was a temporary fix to get me through a ride I couldnt miss. And I wouldnt reccomend it for any thing but that. I found a used spindle on E-bay pretty cheap.

JOEX
08-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Im betting its a bent spindle, Mine was the same way. I did a lot of measuring of the frame, re-aligned the front end and everything I finally pulled the spindles off and looked at both of them and the left was bent. Mine was so bad that at one point, with the wheels cranked to left stop the back inner edge of the wheel was rubbing on the lower a-arm:o I was in a bind so to stop it from rubbing I welded a bead on the steering stem to lessen the turning radius on that side. This was a temporary fix to get me through a ride I couldnt miss. And I wouldnt reccomend it for any thing but that. I found a used spindle on E-bay pretty cheap.
Hey, Mike, at what location did the spindle bend? I have wondered about mine after a few hits, one you know of:p

Woodsrider
08-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Hey, Mike, at what location did the spindle bend? I have wondered about mine after a few hits, one you know of:p

At the back where the tie-rod bolts on. It was shoved out almost an 1/8th inch:eek: Honestly I think the whole spindle may have had a little twist to it but thats where it was most noticable, and logically its the weakest point when your tire hooks a stump and slams hard to one side tossing you over the bars:o

2001-400ex'er
08-24-2004, 12:46 PM
When you guys say Tomahawk what state is that in? j/w