PDA

View Full Version : Pro Design Kill Switch install?

mxva5413
08-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Anybody have instructions on how to install the Prodesign Kill switch on the 450R?

Honda Jay
08-19-2004, 08:16 PM
1)Well, first off, take your hood off
2)Find the wires coming from the key switch, and unclip it from the base down on the frame, and take all of the top part out and take the key cowl and shiz off
3)Take your Oil Temp Light and remount or discard (your choice, but i just drilled a hole right on the left top plastic and mounted it there)
4)Strip and seperate the three wires from the base of the key bunch and connect one of the wires to the GREEN
5)And the other to the BLACK W/ WHITE STRIPES
6)Wire Nut or tape them
7)Mount the tether
8)Go ride!
9)Don't forget that the lights no worky by the time it gets dark riding, found out the hard way. . . dark ride out!

Jay:D

hardcore450
08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
simple. i put mine on in the back of my truck wen it overheated and i was waiting for it to cool down on the way to a race.

1) remove hood
2)strip end of short wire and place it between any bolt and the frame (make sure there is no paint or grease)
3)strip end of long wire and place it in the positive wire on the coil
(positive end is the one w/ the clip on it)
4) mount the switch on the bars

you dont have to remove anything or move any lights and no drilling holes

atvrider12764
08-19-2004, 10:25 PM
wait, lights dont work when you install a kill switch?

kbass24emtp
08-19-2004, 10:25 PM
hardcore450, please do not take this the wrong way, but that way does not work the best. It will kill the quad when it is at idle, but give it some gas and pull the cord and see what happens. Oh its still running! I had mine wired the way you do and mine would continue running when I pulled the cord while giving it gas. There are two ways to install the kill switch. One was is the way Honda Jay discribed. The second is :
1) Trace the wires form the stop switch on the handle bars to the white connector mounted to the left hand side of the frame.
Note: The wires you are tracing from the stop switch will split off in two direction, one wire will go to the head lights and the other will go to the white connector your looking for.
2) Look for the black wire with the white tracer.
3) Splice, connect, or solder one wire from the kill switch to the black wire with the white tracer on the stop switch side of the connector.
4) Now ground the other wire from the kill switch to the frame.

Now your done.

red2004 TRX450R
08-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by kbass24emtp
hardcore450, please do not take this the wrong way, but that way does not work the best. It will kill the quad when it is at idle, but give it some gas and pull the cord and see what happens. Oh its still running! I had mine wired the way you do and mine would continue running when I pulled the cord while giving it gas. There are two ways to install the kill switch. One was is the way Honda Jay discribed. The second is :
1) Trace the wires form the stop switch on the handle bars to the white connector mounted to the left hand side of the frame.
Note: The wires you are tracing from the stop switch will split off in two direction, one wire will go to the head lights and the other will go to the white connector your looking for.
2) Look for the black wire with the white tracer.
3) Splice, connect, or solder one wire from the kill switch to the black wire with the white tracer on the stop switch side of the connector.
4) Now ground the other wire from the kill switch to the frame.

Now your done.

Is this the best way to do it. I am getting ready to but mine on and just want to know!!!!!!!!

Z-135
08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Take hood off. There is a group of wires that run to the key switch. Fined the black with the white strip hook your pos from the kill switch to it. Hook the other wire from the kill switch to a ground.

red2004 TRX450R
08-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Z-135
Take hood off. There is a group of wires that run to the key switch. Fined the black with the white strip hook your pos from the kill switch to it. Hook the other wire from the kill switch to a ground.

OK

Will my key, fan, lights, and every thing still work as normal!!!

Honda Jay
08-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
OK

Will my key, fan, lights, and every thing still work as normal!!!

Well, i forgot to say to attach the red and the black together and that will enable the fan/ lights with no problems, sorry for the inconvenience!

Honda Jay

Z-135
08-24-2004, 05:44 AM
Yes!

CdaleXtreme
08-24-2004, 07:33 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Too many cooks in the kitchen here. how about ATC250R, he usually give clear and ACCURATE instructions. Somone get him on here and say the final word in Kill switch installtion. :D