PDA

View Full Version : Question for you truck owners

400exrules
08-19-2004, 07:50 PM
two questions:

1.) Im gettin a truck soon and im not a mechanic so if you get like a 3" suspension lift kit, can i take it somewhere to get it installed for me?

2.) And what is a good soundin dual exhaust on a V8? I saw a meineke commercial for catback dual exhaust that they install and everything for only $350

PismoGuy400
08-19-2004, 08:11 PM
youre a new driver, (i was reading another thread and i believe you were starting sophomore year) dont worry about lift kit.. get used to driving first... when i started driving, i got a litle s10 but i also had a 74 chevy 4x4 that has technically been "mine" since my grandpa died a few years back but theres no way i would lift that truck until i was really really comfortable driving it...

get used to it.. driving in every condition you would drive in on a regular basis (rain, snow, *TRAFFIC*, windy roads, etc..)... lifting trucks greatly impairs judgement and visibility.

but to answer your question more than likely you will be able to find a shop to install it for you, but im not familiar w/ where you live..

exhaust..whhats the point, so you can say your truck sounds better than your friends..(no flame intended)..but anyway.. flowmaster usually results in a good, deep soounding tone.

theres alot of brands out there, borla, gibson, flowmasters, and a bunch of smaller companies... just check em out..

bansheerider_13
08-19-2004, 08:16 PM
im sure that there are off road sealers down by you that will do it
and as far as exhaust i dont know your emission law where you live but if you dont need cats then get rid of them much better sound with out them but if you need then check out a few garges most will do a costom cat back and will be far cheaper then most companys

416exmx
08-19-2004, 08:24 PM
suspension lifts are expensive and expensive to hire installed (especialy on an IFS)

go for a body lift for starters if you want a lift.

as for an exhaust, just simple straight pipes will kill mileage and power. get a good catback system. man i used to always have straight pipes in high school and i got several exhaust tickets.

Davids440ex
08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx

first off never get a body lift unless you plan on staying on the road, once you take it off road and start abusing it your body mounts are going to get f****d up, i know i build pre runners and i have seen alot of goones ruin there cabs, dont ever take the cheap way out get the good stuf the first time it will pay out at the end.

and for exhaust for an v-8 dual chamber flowmaster, 3 inch in and dual 3 inch out with turn downs get the turndowns under the bed some were for it will echo of it and it will sound sweet

400exrules
08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
suspension lifts are expensive and expensive to hire installed (especialy on an IFS)

as for an exhaust, just simple straight pipes will kill mileage and power. get a good catback system. man i used to always have straight pipes in high school and i got several exhaust tickets.

could you explain wut exactly a straight pipe is? and how does it kill your power?

and i was just lookin for a no more then a 3" lift cuz ill be muddin with it down by a creek where my buddies go and there are pretty deep ruts, so idk

and whats a catback systems? i thought it was a brand for exhaust or somethin

EDIT: here is the truck im lookin at, if u cant tell im on a small budget lol http://www.trucktraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/4/4/2/74040242.htm

sly400ex
08-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
could you explain wut exactly a straight pipe is? and how does it kill your power?

and i was just lookin for a no more then a 3" lift cuz ill be muddin with it down by a creek where my buddies go and there are pretty deep ruts, so idk

and whats a catback systems? i thought it was a brand for exhaust or somethin

EDIT: here is the truck im lookin at, if u cant tell im on a small budget lol http://www.trucktraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/4/4/2/74040242.htm

Looks like a nice truck....:)

Typically, a straight pipe or straight is exhaust, more precisely ...is an exhaust system with nothing more than just pipes (hence "straight pipes") No cats, no muffler, nothing but pipes! This can hurt your power by not having any back-pressure. Most of the time, a non-built engine needs back pressure to perform optimally. You can buy a single in, dual out muffler for under a $100, then just run duals off that. That should be good enough.

As far as the lift, I bet it would cost a couple thousand dollars just for labor to have a lift intalled. So you're looking at a few thousand dollars at least, to do it right. If you find someone trustworthy to do it out of the garage, that would be your best bet! Good luck! :)

LazeR
08-19-2004, 09:53 PM
First off..... Never body lift...only if you need the clearance and wouldnt go more than 1"! Suspension lift is the way to go...If you have some friends that are mechanically inclined or if you are, you can easily install the lift yourself and save some serious money. Lifting doesnt always make your truck handle worse..because the springs will be stiffer....it can handle better...But only to a certain point and height..

bulkdriverlp
08-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
First off..... Never body lift...only if you need the clearance and wouldnt go more than 1"! Suspension lift is the way to go...If you have some friends that are mechanically inclined or if you are, you can easily install the lift yourself and save some serious money. Lifting doesnt always make your truck handle worse..because the springs will be stiffer....it can handle better...But only to a certain point and height.. i second that, body lift will cause you problems, look dumb too. if ya want a truck for muddin a bit get one with leafspring front end, this way ya just have to flip the springs in front and put blocks under the back. much easier than coil spring front ends.i.m.o.

derekhonda
08-19-2004, 10:59 PM
I paid my buddy a $160 to suspension lift my truck for me, took him a day and i was his tool biatch but it got the job done cheap.

PismoGuy400
08-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
EDIT: here is the truck im lookin at, if u cant tell im on a small budget lol

if youre on a budget.. and want a lift.. wait until youre not on that budget.. you never know what youll have to fix or replace when you go to lift your truck..

and also pay attention to my first post.. im not trying to make up your mind for you i just want u to know what ur doin before.. get the truck, drive it, lift it later when you actually feel the need for it.

and there are plenty of free catalogs out there that you can order.. check em out

lots of parts available from a acme catalog.. www.acmetruckparts.com

jegs, northern auto parts, and summit may have exhaust available, but im not sure...summit would probly be the your bet

TCracin440ex
08-20-2004, 01:46 AM
find you a truck that comes factory with SFA.....proally an older model...i dont know if that ford has SFA or not but SFA vehicles are the eaziest to lift up....far as the body lift...im throwing 1 of those on my truck sometime this winter along with some 33x12.5x15 goodyear wrangler mt/r and 15x10 eagle alloy wheels...and yes i do play off road sometimes but not enuff..im no punanny w/ my truck...as a matter fact we got this f-150 that cruises on friday nite its lifted up about 9 inches...and my girl was like i like that truck....im like pssh its a pu$sY truck mine has been in more mud than that truck

lets just face it....1600.00 for a suspension lift for my silverado compared to a 200.00 body lift....lets see ill take the body lift

i hate IFS due to how much it costs to lift 1 up.

TCracin440ex
08-20-2004, 01:51 AM
http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/images/gallery/Image17.jpg

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/images/gallery/Image21.jpg

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/images/gallery/Image23.jpg

now id love my truck to look like that...but like i said...lifts cost, tires cost too....and not only that when you get up that big you have to regear which costs as well...then ull have to have something for more hp to turn over the tires i.e. k&n intake, computer upgrade, and exhausts

PismoGuy400
08-20-2004, 02:28 AM
that chevy is sick...i need some money.. my 74 is ready... all it needs is a lift and tires, and maybe a locker, but im not sure if im going for locked diffs yet.... its got dana 60s stuffed w/ 4.56s, 8k lb ramsey winch, 650 carb, intake manifold and a k&n filter

im thinking about 8 inches w/ 38 inch swampers or boggers

w/ the 31s its lucky to hit 70 mph.. revved up pretty good.. so i need to get some big @ss tires so its driveable. either that or fork out a couple grand to get a 5 speed to replace the 4 speed.

im still sitting on that thougt.

sharkinthepool
08-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Dude there are shops everywhere that do that type of work. Do not shame yourself with a body lift either go with the suspension lift you will not be dis-appointed!!! Being from TN there should be shops everywhere to do that kind of work. Last time I was there for the Ducks Unlimited event there was lifted trucks everywhere.

Also BBK makes a great off-road set-up; with x-pipes for Fords I would assume that they make them for everyone else too. But, I do know that BORLA makes one of the best. It will cost you do to the fact that it is stainless steel but it is worth it.

Good luck, and get used to it before just jumping in it and taking off. You will have it on its top or side before you know it!

Lifting changes every aspect of your truck.

400exrules
08-20-2004, 02:36 PM
thanks for all the replies :D , you guys are answering tons of my questions!

If the exhaust on that truck is all stock wut should i do, i want it to sound mean, should i get like a flowmaster system with muffler and all or should i get a catback system like some of you said? and what exactly is a catback system, i dont realy understand what it is

tator
08-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Do not go body lift and flowmasters all the way ;)

SHOCKER
08-20-2004, 03:03 PM
i like the sound of the flowmasters alot, gibson is another great sounding exhaust but gibson has had some problems with mufflers rusting, why shouldnt he go with a body lift? thers nothing wrong with one, pretty much the body lift is to get more clearence for bigger tires. they are cheaper and when ya dont want a huge lift its perfect

lil400exman
08-20-2004, 04:04 PM
go with a live axle in the front for mud, easier to work on better 4wd capabilites for less.............my landcruiser is great.........check into a FJ-40 and be a bit different than the crowd........let me tell you this though...........once you go for landcruiser you never go back!:macho personally if it was me and i was on a budget for 4x4ing i would get a 2-3" shackle lift some new shocks a aussie locker for the front and some 33"s or 35"s:devil:

416exmx
08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
geez guys, i said if he was on a budget get a body lift. you are looking at around $1500 for the lift +$500 to install a suspension lift on an IFS truck...

anyway i will never put another suspension lift on a truck. they screw up the handling of a truck IMO. and you guys dissin body lifts have better had both body and suspension lifts before i even care WHAT you think!

i have always had lifted, modded and LOUD trucks.

Rastus
08-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Nice truck 416exmx.:cool:

I'm currently looking at lifts for my 93' Chevy. IFS lifts are too dang expensive..., but nothing looks cooler than a new big beefy subframe underneath the frontend. :cool: :D

400exrules
08-20-2004, 06:59 PM
geez guys, i said if he was on a budget get a body lift. you are looking at around $1500 for the lift +$500 to install a suspension lift on an IFS truck...

anyway i will never put another suspension lift on a truck. they screw up the handling of a truck IMO. and you guys dissin body lifts have better had both body and suspension lifts before i even care WHAT you think!

i have always had lifted, modded and LOUD trucks.

nice truck! what do you prefer for loud exhaust? I just want some loud dual exhaust

Out_Sider
08-20-2004, 07:34 PM
glasspacks man.. nice an inexpensive and sound kick *** :macho

joez
08-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey thats the exact same as my truck. Its a really good truck and mods are really cheap. I got my lift new for $300. I have a 2.5" lift on mine and it looks the same as the one your lookin at. Check mine out http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.asp?id=5891

400exrules
08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by joez
Hey thats the exact same as my truck. Its a really good truck and mods are really cheap. I got my lift new for $300. I have a 2.5" lift on mine and it looks the same as the one your lookin at. Check mine out http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.asp?id=5891

whoah! sweet truck! i havent seen this truck yet in person but im going next saturday to see it and i hope it looks as good as yours! I love those tires too, nice work man. What year is it? the one im lookin at is a 1992, they look almost identical

400grl
08-21-2004, 08:42 AM
You know....I always wanted to lift my Chevy, but I've never done it, and i don't think I will now.....unless you spend good money on a really good suspension lift, you will just screw other components up.....and it will suck for offroading. I just have the biggest tires (mudders, of course) I can get on mine stock (a little trimming on the fenders does wonders! LOL!).....and that's where she's staying.

I have a 1994 Z-71 4X4 - and am on a budget....so for the sound I really liked, I have a straight pipe where the cat used to be, and a flowmaster exhaust. It sounds really good - alot better than just the straight pipe and a cat, and alot beefier than just the cat and the Flowmaster.... The straight pipe pops when you get on it, and it sounds like crap.......the way it's set up now, it sounds great!!! :) And to pass emissions, we just weld the cat back in for a week.......(heheheheheh)

Tommy 17
08-21-2004, 08:52 AM
if u want REALLY loud pipes but don't want them all the time get the electric header openers...

u hit a switch in the cab and it opens up a slider on the pipe... when that opens up they come out right at the headers... if u want it to be quite close them and it runs threw the stock exhuast and is very quiet...

my friend has them and they work pretty darn good...

TGW_400ex
08-21-2004, 09:00 AM
I bet none yall can find a exhaust for my truck

99 tacoma X-cab 4x4 2.7L

:eek:

joez
08-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Mines a 95. I have a Gibson exhaust and it sounds sweet. Its got a nice mellow rumble for an idle and doesnt get loud unless you step on it. Its kinda old school so suspension lifts, drivetrain mods and engine mods are all cheaper than just about anything else. You should read up on them http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/forums/forum.ten-id-538-n-f150_pre1997

400grl
08-21-2004, 11:09 AM
I even found an exhaust for my Geo Metro.....yeppers....it's got a little red Cherry Bomb!!! LOL!!!

TCracin440ex
08-21-2004, 01:07 PM
when i put my flowmasters on my truck im putting exhaust cut outs on it so i can have the rumble when i want it and the quietness when i want it

whatever you do dont get glass packs.....they sound like **** when u get in the higher rpms

FourFiftyFour
08-21-2004, 01:58 PM
wait on getting the lift, and no matter how cheap body lifts are, DONT GET ONE, they are so bad for the truck and they dont look good either

as for the exhaust, i put a Flowmaster 40 series on my truck (toyota tundra) and my truck came with a sound resinator (stock) and i told them to saw it off and put the flowmaster on there and give it a 3" turndown.......it sounds REALLY good, one of the louder trucks ive heard that doesnt sound like redneck glaspacs, but pure performance- actually last night i got a lot of compliments from people about how good it sounded :D

400EXrider#91
08-21-2004, 02:43 PM
all you people are saying that body lifts look bad, i feel they aren't the best but when the other 6" suspention lift gos on there it will look killer. what do you think of my first truck?

TCracin440ex
08-21-2004, 10:10 PM
like i said 1600 for a lift for my silverado....i think a 3 inch body lift will suit me just fine for now untill i stumble upon the cash to buy a suspension lift

but when i do get suspension lift im getting a 6inch susp. and 37.5's along w/ the 3 inch body, gears, tranny cooler, and all kinda other stuff to make my 5.7 ltr more capable of turning over those tires

HiperEX
08-21-2004, 11:53 PM
yeah i would like to get a 3" lift for my chevy 1500 eventually will someday with some american racing wheels or eagle alloys with bfgs for my exhayst system i just put a new muffler on vortex is teh name of it sounds nice its a has a v flow pattern, costed me 50$ i just used the factory tailpipes since they were still pretty new when i got the truck my dad has a chevy 1500 with dual flowmasters i love my sound over his but i like his dual outs over my dual side swept , my dads truck has 33" bfgs with eagle alloys, and 3" lift nad it handles find and looks great i think to much lift it ugly but thats just my opinion, ill get some pics up sometime my imagestation account isnt working right now

TCracin440ex
08-22-2004, 12:27 AM
im running dual lines on my truck soon with flowmasters and a freeflow cat, and maybe some cut outs....i also would like a set of nice headers...maybe a set of hooker headers, a computer upgrade, and a k&n intake for more power

i love my truck mine is a 1998 old body style...truck is tuffer than nails...i play in the mud w/ my truck even w/ stock suspension and aint had a minutes problem in any condition..

Chef
08-22-2004, 12:57 AM
This is our new truck. 6/4 Fabtech suspension lift, 35-12.50/18 Toyo Mud Terrains and MKW Wheels.
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Chef/F150 After 2.jpg

redrider69
08-22-2004, 05:48 PM
if ur in tn i know its illegal to cut the cats out cause ive wanted to do it for a while but straight pipin is illegal in some countys my truck is just dualed out with 4 inch tips and for the lift im mostly a " pavement pownder " as my friends call it but im not scared to get it durty and ive never had any probs with my body lift but for the u need to drive and get used to the road i think thats a bunch of bs cause i dont turn 16 for a couple months but ive had my truck since i was 13 and i got my hardship at 14 so ive been drivin for bout year and a half and never had a prob with my truck or me being a beggining driver i kno im spoiled but my grand pa bought all of it but hes dead now so thats why i dont have a badass fourwheeler

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid126/p1f620e3d1dde6b5f4a4e2d53df92aaa5/f7f5b873.jpg

K2Snow
08-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/images/gallery/Image17.jpg

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/images/gallery/Image21.jpg

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/images/gallery/Image23.jpg

now id love my truck to look like that...but like i said...lifts cost, tires cost too....and not only that when you get up that big you have to regear which costs as well...then ull have to have something for more hp to turn over the tires i.e. k&n intake, computer upgrade, and exhausts

I knew that truck looked familiar, then I noticed it was driving on the beach. Only place you can drive on the beach is at Pismo beach in Cali. Looked up cognitomotorsports and sure enough, based right out of Arroyo Grande, 15 minutes from here. I've never seen that truck in the dunes, just cruising the beach.

TCracin440ex
08-22-2004, 08:26 PM
that is bull about the beach comment....in daytona beach, fl u can drive on the beach, rent quads on the beach and a do alot of other stuff there

Diedrich
08-22-2004, 09:45 PM
i go to daytona beach every year and u can drive on it..thats one thing i like about it...about your truck man, if u dont want much lift get a 4 suspension..3" body isn't bad i u wanna save money..thats whats on my truck but im get a big suspension lift soon..i had dual flowmaster 40 series on mine with 4" tips and it sounded pretty good..u can get flowmasters on ebay cheap

TCracin440ex
08-22-2004, 09:47 PM
i love daytona beach, fl...only thing i wish is if you could bring ya own quad and ride not have to rent theirs

bluebaron
08-22-2004, 11:37 PM
i had that local shop, make the exhuast on my hoe, its a cat back glass pacs, sound pre good, $160. as for lifts, when i get a money, im getting a lift, most likely a pro comp, 4'' for like a 1000 bucks on sale. Me and my dad can put it on, unless it requirse a car lift. i would like to go higher but i would have to get bigger tires$$ and the mpg would go to ****, right???

TCracin440ex
08-22-2004, 11:45 PM
if you got bigger tires u would have to regear and prolly do a brake upgrade too because stock brakes wont stop a set of 37s that easy

K2Snow
08-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
that is bull about the beach comment....in daytona beach, fl u can drive on the beach, rent quads on the beach and a do alot of other stuff there

Daytona is in Florida, not Cali. I meant the only place in Cali that you can drive on the beach is Pismo. Perhaps I worded that wrong.