PDA

View Full Version : White smoke from exhaust, jetting problems?

asdf450r
08-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey well today i got to finally go out in front of my house and open up the quad, tear through the gears and see how she runs. Well to start off with it doesnt like to rev in the lower rpms, but after that it pulled hard as a mofo, and ran fine. So i took it down the street and ripped through the gears, then pulled into my driveway, and noticed a burning smell and white smoke coming from the pipe. I read that this is normal when running a new pipe, (go figure) but i also asked my dad about it, and he said that oil is burning off the side of the cylinder, and that its too lean. The latter seems more likely to me... dunno. Hopefully i didnt screw anything up. I live at about 500ft above sea level, running a full yoshi exhaust, uni filter with outerwear on the box. thats about all the engine mods ive done so far. Running a dynojet kit with the reccomended "stage 2" jetting. Using a 175 main jet, which i get the feeling is WAY too small. but i figured dynojet uses different numbering for their jets? the biggest jet that came with the kit is 180. Thinking of throwing that on tomorrow, and opening up the fuel screw another turn.

Someone please help me, am i doing this right?

ATC350X 85
08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Best way to see if you are running right is pull the spark plug and see what color the electrode is. Tan is perfect, black too rich white too lean.

turboTony
08-20-2004, 10:24 PM
white smoke = coolant
black smoke = fuel
blue smoke = oil

white smoke is usually not good and a sign of a bad head gasket. Drain your oil and put in a clear container. Let it sit for a little while and look for seperation. (coolant will "sink").
Hopefully for your sake, it's just the new pipe breaking in...

asdf450r
08-21-2004, 03:11 AM
yeah i moved the clip on the needle one space up, and put in the 180 jet and now she runs fine. Havent been able to tear through the gears yet though (parents dont let me ride up my street for my neighbor's sake) but asap ill test it out. From what it seems she likes it. Havent had any problems with gaskets before i installed the pipe though... shrug. ill have to check the oil like you said, besides it needs a change anyway.

Thanks for the help!!