PDA

View Full Version : welding and cnc

fasterz
08-18-2004, 10:17 PM
well this is my senior year and i decided on going to college as a mechanical engineer. before i go away to school i want to start to learn to weld and mabey learn some cnc machining. is there like a few week class you can go to or somethin to learn how to do it. cnc can wait but i want to start learning welding now. should i go buy the stuff and learn my self or go somewhre and get taught? also what will i need? acetalyne and oxy tanks? how much are they and what else would i need and what can i weld with that and what type of welds can that do etc? Thanks

bulkdriverlp
08-18-2004, 10:29 PM
welding can get expenseve. if ya wanna weld thin stuff like 1/16 thick or thinner you usually use oxy/acyletyne and a torch with bout a size 0 tip. tanks around here you have to pay 300.00 for a 10 year lease. torches bout 99.00 for cheap ones.

thicker steel youll want a stick welder(buzz box) youl need welding rod (not cheap) the welder is bout 250.00

or you can get a 110volt wire feed welder, and learn that, (real easy, push a button and go) there bout 150-300$

heliarc (welding aluminum and other metals) i dont know much about, but theres a welder for that. takes 3 hands for that, takes lot of coordnation and practice. left hand holds the filler rod,right hand holds the electrode,right foot regualtes voltage?i think?

best thing you can do is buy a helmet and see if you can watch somebody else weld for a while see if thats what you want, then go shop around. hope this helps...if not i tried!

fasterz
08-18-2004, 10:39 PM
what kind of welder is used to weld lets say a quad frame like to install a gusset kit or make arms? thanks alot for this help

lil400exman
08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
what kind of welder is used to weld lets say a quad frame like to install a gusset kit or make arms? thanks alot for this help usually a TIG or MIG go to your local CTC and talk to them about it...........i did:D night classes are great!:devil:

bulkdriverlp
08-18-2004, 10:56 PM
for the frame id use the wire feed then grind down the welds nice and smooth. wire feeds are real easy to use. you dont NEED the argon gas either, just buy flux core wire.

SHOCKER
08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
a flux welder isnt the best for welding on frames but it does work, if ya have the money then go with a mig welder, mig welder uses gas and is very very nice, a flux welder tends to splatter alot, trust me i know

fasterz
08-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
usually a TIG or MIG go to your local CTC and talk to them about it...........i did:D night classes are great!:devil:
what is CTC?

bulkdriverlp
08-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKER
a flux welder isnt the best for welding on frames but it does work, if ya have the money then go with a mig welder, mig welder uses gas and is very very nice, a flux welder tends to splatter alot, trust me i know i use a lincoln 100 amp mig, without gas and i can draw a bead on just bout anything, if you get spatter your too far away from ur work or wire speed too fast. try heat range "c" wire speed 3.5. if ya dont believe me ill draw a bead and post the pic right here with the welder!!!!!!!!!

lil400exman
08-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by fasterz
what is CTC?
it might be JVS for you but its a high school tech center hence-ctc career technology center............... but yes i MIG. i got a hobart handler 140 with gas.............i also have oxy acetyelene.........:D

khen
08-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
i use a lincoln 100 amp mig, without gas and i can draw a bead on just bout anything, if you get spatter your too far away from ur work or wire speed too fast. try heat range "c" wire speed 3.5. if ya dont believe me ill draw a bead and post the pic right here with the welder!!!!!!!!! You'll also get splatter if the metal is not really clean or has paint or surface rust on it.

One word of caution.. get a good welding helmet. I purchased a cheap 110V wirefeed welder from Harbor Freight a while back that came with a cheap welding helmet and I tried it a few times with that helmet and burnt my eyes!

SHOCKER
08-19-2004, 09:02 AM
i use 1 of those auto darkening helmets, its great i love it to bad its not mine and my brothers :rolleyes:

lil400exman
08-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKER
i use 1 of those auto darkening helmets, its great i love it to bad its not mine and my brothers :rolleyes:
yea i sue the miller pro or the one iwth 1/25,000 reaction time. its kinda like a helment for riding. if you got a 100 dollar head spend 100 dollars on it but i layed down the cash cause my eyesight is worth more than 100 bucks......also set it at the darkest setting you can when its in welding mode. turn it up until u can just see the arc ;)

wilkin250r
08-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Unless you have somebody to mentor and tutor you, I recommend talking a class. Sure, with practice you can learn the proper physical technique, but if you don't know what parameters to play with, or how to properly set up your equipment, you'll never get a good weld, regardless of how good your technique is.

lil400exman
08-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Unless you have somebody to mentor and tutor you, I recommend talking a class. Sure, with practice you can learn the proper physical technique, but if you don't know what parameters to play with, or how to properly set up your equipment, you'll never get a good weld, regardless of how good your technique is.
very true thus why i mentioned a CTC or JVS and usually they are cheap and you end up with a good certifaction!:D

Rip_Tear
08-19-2004, 07:29 PM
I'd definately have to suggest taking a class, you will learn way quicker and easier.

As for CNC I am in college right now for CNC Technician, which I would also have to suggest taking class for, I'm going into my second (and last) year, its been really interesting, learned a lot, its good to get the basics down too.

BTW CNC machines are hella expensive.