PDA

View Full Version : What mini quad does your son or daughter race and why?

crazy1
08-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Give make of quad and reason for choosing that quad.Thanks:)

Oouthere
08-18-2004, 08:47 PM
We originally had an 80 Raptor due to the four stroke, electric start and shaft drive with no intention of racing.

That changed. My daughter was seven at the time and won a few races on the Raptor but never had a chance against the two strokes or an equivelant size four-stroke. The Raptor is sloooow.

We upgraded to the TRX90 due to a better suspension and much better suspension. She still can't handle the fast two strokes but the stock two-strokes will have to work very hard to get away. For serious competition we probably should have went with the Predator but the frame was simply to small.

But there it is. TRX90 due to the four stroke, high power (for it's class), and decent suspension.

Rich

Hoggr9
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda TRX90 good all around machine.
If it's gonna be race only one of the 2 strokes likw a Kasea would be worth looking into.
Hey were only about an hour and a half from Casey.
I'm planning on getting my boy up there some yet this fall to race.
We're building a cr80 powered blaster for next year.:macho

Johnny & Monica
08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
TRX90
My son and daughter both race the honda. They've raced mx and xc on them and they performed awesomely in both conditions.

atv420
08-19-2004, 01:13 PM
my son races a LEM caymen all tricked out much lighter than the e-tons and kaseas

AtvMxRider
08-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Trx90 becuase it is bulletproof.

crazy1
08-19-2004, 02:26 PM
very nice......keepem comin.:D

oldyeller
08-19-2004, 02:38 PM
We race a Viper because that is what we bought.We bought the bike for its excellent features,especially the rear hydraulic disk brake and its 520 chain.Its been very reliable as well and is as fast as any other stock bike we've come up against.

Arctic Cat Dad
08-19-2004, 08:44 PM
We went with an Arctic Cat 50. Main reason was the Ac is the same quad as the DRR. The DRR's do very well in the Nationals . He races XC and some MX. It 's modded some and will run and beat some 90's in stock form. His last XC race he ran a 2:43 lap time and the top moded 90 quad ran a 2:30 lap time. And he's only 6. He's rider 838 in the Koontz series posted here on the race coverage. He's won 14 races and 1 second with it. So It's been a very good quad.

Pappy
08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Mr. Mussi where he does best...out front:macho

Pappy
08-19-2004, 09:04 PM
For Xc we settled on the Honda 90 due to its reliability and ease of getting replacement parts. We started the seaon on a Viper 90 and really have no complaints.

For next year plans are to finish the honda with a complete 90 cc national engine and even more improved suspension. A Kasea 90 will be fully modded and used for MX duties.

zman2
08-19-2004, 09:38 PM
craaazy 1 :blah: we race trx90 -you know why- however for everyone else we have the same reasons it's what we got, it's bulletproof good machine however we can't beat the predator without sinking more money than I have right now into it. This is what we have done so far- got the timing key, cut the pink wire milled the head -not nearly enough, k&n filter, big gun exhaust, shocks, tires, jetted the carb, changed gearing, can't think of anything else right now -crazy 1 if you think of something post it- hoggr? (sorry I forgot) we race casey if you do come - look us up we are #26 and watch out for the predator he flies! Zman2

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 12:09 AM
My Daughter rides/races a modded Kasea 90 and my Son rides/races a modded Eton Viper. Both kids race mostly flattrack and are now starting to get into MX ..... I found the biggest reason we picked these machines was the mods and reviews we heard from other owners on them, We bought the Viper the first year it came out .... Its amazing what you can do to these lil things!!!!:eek2:

mxmike17
08-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I chose E-Ton because of the excelent suport the dealer gave me in the past on other products he sold. ( He no longer sell mini quads:( but still a friend ) Plus we looked into alot of the other cvt 2 strokes and seen they were pretty simalar and all had tons of up grades available and fairly simple. We have had very good luck with a good 1 1/2 yrs of mx abuse. Seems with these cvt's you can just pick the one you like and set it up like you want it.

For national you got to do alittle more home work exspecialy the 50 stock class. We gona pick jr up a 50 for next year but im kinda waiting because there is suspition of some rule changes that might let more brands be competive.

I had just about made my mind on a drr but I hear kasea/lrx have something to bring to the table(new exaust with expantion chamber) I also hear Dinli is working to be a better contender. So for now I will probley hold out a bit longer.

The E-Ton 50 we got now works awsome for the local events.

http://http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p205b4b95f3f9cccde83df17f6ee1e60c/f8b04ad9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/pd3f72e686ecf29f26e91d8f3cef4812e/f8b04ad2.jpg

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by mxmike17
I chose E-Ton because of the excelent suport the dealer gave me in the past on other products he sold. ( He no longer sell mini quads:( but still a friend ) Plus we looked into alot of the other cvt 2 strokes and seen they were pretty simalar and all had tons of up grades available and fairly simple. We have had very good luck with a good 1 1/2 yrs of mx abuse. Seems with these cvt's you can just pick the one you like and set it up like you want it.

For national you got to do alittle more home work exspecialy the 50 stock class. We gona pick jr up a 50 for next year but im kinda waiting because there is suspition of some rule changes that might let more brands be competive.

I had just about made my mind on a drr but I hear kasea/lrx have something to bring to the table(new exaust with expantion chamber) I also hear Dinli is working to be a better contender. So for now I will probley hold out a bit longer.

The E-Ton 50 we got now works awsome for the local events.

http://http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p205b4b95f3f9cccde83df17f6ee1e60c/f8b04ad9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/pd3f72e686ecf29f26e91d8f3cef4812e/f8b04ad2.jpg that mini looks GREAT!!!:macho

SHOCKER
08-20-2004, 11:50 AM
yeah that eton 50 looks good aired out

alot of the mini racers down here in so cal are on kasea 90's there is a pred and a eton to

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 12:23 PM
This would be my Daughter Kelseyon her Kasea.....shes10 :)

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 12:23 PM
and my 7 yr old Brandon on his pimp Eton :macho

mxmike17
08-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Jr is 4 My Daughter is 10 she has a stock 90 but dont ride much. She says she might give it a go this weekend :)

Those are some very nice mini quads also QuadJunkies

mxmike17
08-20-2004, 12:59 PM
You got any front pics of the e-ton with the shaved fenders?

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 01:22 PM
You got any front pics of the e-ton with the shaved fenders? Im sure I do. Ill go and look ;)

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
I have these I took for ya I cant find the other ones I was looking for......

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
:)

mxmike17
08-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I like that. Thanks;)

atv420
08-20-2004, 02:26 PM
hey qj those two quads are pretty trick nice job how do the kids do on them

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by atv420
hey qj those two quads are pretty trick nice job how do the kids do on them Thanks for the compliment:) They are doing very well thanks! They took championship flattrack last winter and both will hopefully again or come close to it ,they raced there 1st officialy MX last week and done really good.;) I have a vid of them testing out lil mans new pipe of someone has a way for me to host it???? My ole man puts in a ton of hours so these kids can have fun with us BIG kids ..:p
..................racing again tongiht!!!!:blah:

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I like that. Thanks;) no problem!!! Best of luck to the lil mans racing !!!!!:macho

atv420
08-20-2004, 02:34 PM
thats awesome good luck tonight my son is in his first year racing MX and he is doing real great 2nd in points right now and he is 35 pounds heavier than all the other kids in the class

QuadJunkies
08-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by atv420
thats awesome good luck tonight my son is in his first year racing MX and he is doing real great 2nd in points right now and he is 35 pounds heavier than all the other kids in the class Best of luck to him as well!! I would love to see some pics of him and his ride:) I just love seeing the kids TEAR!:macho

atv420
08-20-2004, 02:41 PM
I will post some soon Iam still new at this the kids are where its at;)

PismoGuy400
08-20-2004, 06:42 PM
quadjunkies, do you know how much travel your daughter is getting out front on her kasea?

QuadJunkies
08-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400
quadjunkies, do you know how much travel your daughter is getting out front on her kasea? are you asking about the suspention????? Im not really sure to be honest with you.... I wish it were more but they are DEF a step up from stock!!! BTW.. My kids took both 1st in there classes tonight.:D :blah:

atv420
08-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Great Jodb on first your first place finishes:)

PismoGuy400
08-21-2004, 11:03 AM
oh, those are stock shocks, lol.

anyway both your kids bikes look awesome. nice job.

QuadJunkies
08-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400
oh, those are stock shocks, lol.

anyway both your kids bikes look awesome. nice job. No.These are WORKS shocks.......... I was saying they are a step up FROM stock shocks by far.........:p

mxmike17
08-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Tell them good job QJ.

My boy race last night and put on a heck of a show. Had the crowed on there feet both motos. Him and another boy(his friend)
8yrs old on a modded 90 had a heck of a race for 2nd and 3rd. They were getting some serious airtime and just flat pinned just about the whole way. He wound up with a very impresive 3rd which was way more than I expected. He had no practice laps. Couldnt get the quad to start till right before the 1st moto. Had a batch of bad gas. Figured it out at the last minute.He defantly got the older boys on 90's attention for shure!

His works shocks give him 7 to 7 1/2 inches of travel all around.
I have been watching the other minis latley with the even more expensive Elka's latley and Id say his set up is far superior in all aspects. He has WRH +3 a-arms dual rate 60/80 works shocks up front and works shock on rear all valved for a 40 lb rider. He was getting a good 3 foot hight and 15 foot out last night on most the table tops and jumping the first hill of the doubles to flat ground and it landed like a big pillow. With the dual rate springs up front he was ripping thru woops,breakingbumps and ruts like they wernt even there. :macho

PismoGuy400
08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
lol, i gotcha now.. i thought u said they are a DEF set up from stock...

i didnt comprehend the "step" correctly, and thought the "DEF" was the brand...haha, sounded (and looked) wierd to me but its all clear now..

And keep those kids goin.. its great to start em young, like i did started at 5 and 12 years later still loving it

ED: mxmike17 you got any pics of your kids bike, sounds cool. i love the moded minis.

Oouthere
08-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey Mike,

How much distance was running between 1st and last? Jessica nor her quad are probably ready to run the super minis but she's dieing to give it a try. I wouldn't care if she got lapped now that I understand things a bit better but I don't want people to get mad with a slower rider on the track at the same time.

Thanks,

Rich

mxmike17
08-23-2004, 09:56 AM
1st place (on a highly modded hettrick 90) was about 3/4 a lap ahead of last place rider( a begginer on a modded 70 )

mxmike17
08-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Lets see if this works this time

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p0cd415a6380625e0dc8d0dd48ac09ba8/f8af3dcc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p1d2bdc5958e3e92764fcb1a3c1466781/f8af3dc7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p205b4b95f3f9cccde83df17f6ee1e60c/f8b04ad9.jpg

dj89
08-23-2004, 12:42 PM
i rode a trx 90. it never had any props and got 3rd most the time my little brother had a lt80 it was a lot faster. but olny worked 1/2 the time:( . there both vary up grade able. selling off some of my parts to................. ;)

dirtmomma
08-24-2004, 10:59 AM
WEll my little guy(5) rides a LEM Condor we went w/ that because of size/weight he started riding when he was 3 1/2 so we wanted something that wouldn't hurt him too bad if he went off, plus they are neat little machines, we tried to put him on our LT80 but it was just too much for him, it's modded to a 1?? :devil: .
As for our oldest(14) he started out on our TRX90, then moved up to the LT80, now he's on a blaster, he didn't last too long on the minis he needed LOTS more power, now he's got it, little brat's blaster is faster than mine :eek2: :confused: oh well he needs it he's an awesome racer :) NOw the LT80 is going to my niece or nephew after some tear down/repair work. My niece also has a LEM Cayman that my bro has modded some it's pretty cool too, Trevor(lil man) may be moving up to that we will see how he does this being his 1st full winter flattrack season!!

foleyit
08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
I originally bought an LT80 for my daughter to ride around the house and at the dunes. It wasn't too long after riding she tells me she wanted to race.

Unfortunately, most tracks won't let a 5 yr. old race on an 80cc quad on the mini mx track. Did a lot of research and took in all of the great information everyone gave me. I finally, chose to go with the Kasea Skyhawk 50. I didn't find out until much later that LRX is the same thing as the Kasea Skyhawk 50 but a little cheaper in price. The eton was a close second. I really liked the fact that the Skyhawk 50 and Skyhawk 90 sit on the same chassis minus the motor. Also, there were multiple companies that have aftermarket parts for the Kasea (just depends on how much you want to spend). It also has a stock wider stance and longer wheel base than most minis out on the market. In fact with aftermarket rims and tires, it is wider than my LT80 with the +3 a-arm extensions. It has a lot of nice features, it has an actual rear-brake pedal which some minis don't. The Kasea Skyhawk 50 is a little bigger than most but my daughter was able to reach all of the controls just fine and still stand on the pegs. So I figured it was something that she wouldn't out grow anytime soon. My daughter has been racing since April and the Kasea has had no problems thus far.

QuadJunkies
08-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by foleyit
It has a lot of nice features, it has an actual rear-brake pedal which some minis don't. thats one thing that we liked about the Kasea also. :)

dirtmomma
08-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
thats one thing that we liked about the Kasea also. :)

Yeah that is a plus!!! The LEM does NOT come w/ one & hte brakes suck BAD but we did away w/ those & the rear axle set up, he now has a hydrohlic brake that'll stop about a 300 lb go cart :) it now stops on a dime, w/ a foot pedal we made for it, he is just now beginning to be able to pull his front brake on :rolleyes: they just make the controls too big & hard I think!!

400exdad
08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
I think I'm a minority here, but to me the LT is tops. While it doesn't have that much suspension, it can have plenty of power on tap when needed. It is also automatic, so kids can concentrate on the gas and body english and less about shifting. It is fairly small compared to the TRX90 and weighs a few pounds less to. It also weighs a bit more than the Kaseas and the others. To me, thats because it's built a bit heavier. Which brings me to how we ride or race. We ride/race in the woods and the 80 has been bulletproof. Its made 5 tough laps on a 13-14 mile course on the GNCC track at Lorettas in one weekend without problems... and continued to do it for 4 yrs in a row. Keep in mind my son was 8 and went to 12 on it! The only exception was the skid plate that was ripped off due to the almost boulder size rocks. I have never seen any other brands on that trail, not to mention in the woods we normally ride. I suppose if we were to mx, I would prolly have to investigate the Kasea's and some of the others with a bit more suspension and less weight. However, our LT is a '97 and is on the second child now. My 7 yr old was gassin' on it in the woods this past weekend.... I thought I was being chased by Bill Ballance! :D I need to take a moment and snap some photos!

dirtmomma
08-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
I think I'm a minority here, but to me the LT is tops. While it doesn't have that much suspension, it can have plenty of power on tap when needed. It is also automatic, so kids can concentrate on the gas and body english and less about shifting. It is fairly small compared to the TRX90 and weighs a few pounds less to. It also weighs a bit more than the Kaseas and the others. To me, thats because it's built a bit heavier. Which brings me to how we ride or race. We ride/race in the woods and the 80 has been bulletproof. Its made 5 tough laps on a 13-14 mile course on the GNCC track at Lorettas in one weekend without problems... and continued to do it for 4 yrs in a row. Keep in mind my son was 8 and went to 12 on it! The only exception was the skid plate that was ripped off due to the almost boulder size rocks. I have never seen any other brands on that trail, not to mention in the woods we normally ride. I suppose if we were to mx, I would prolly have to investigate the Kasea's and some of the others with a bit more suspension and less weight. However, our LT is a '97 and is on the second child now. My 7 yr old was gassin' on it in the woods this past weekend.... I thought I was being chased by Bill Ballance! :D I need to take a moment and snap some photos!

I AGREE W/ you Dad :) we also have an LT but now my brother is trying to get it back up to snuff :o it got left to sit w/ water in the case oh bad bad bad, didn't realize it @ the time but he's had a HELLA time trying to unstick everything!! Oh well he'll get it & it'll be back up & bullet proof :) Ours is a little screamer when it's running it's got a 105 kit in I do believe :devil:

wvspeedfreak
01-28-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm bumping this up because I thought this was a great thread.Plus,with all the new minis availible now I thought it would still be interesting to hear which brand you picked and why.

I bought my first mini for Austin in 2004.It was a Kasea Skyhawk and one of the big deciding factors for me was the rear foot brake.It has undergone quite a few modificatins since I first bought it but it has been a great quad and he is still hammering on it :)

mxmike17
01-28-2007, 06:37 PM
WOW .... Cool! Man i miss them days he was riding on foot blocks.lol

We moved up from the E-ton.

My boy is still riding. He made 7 in December. He rides a Cobra EXC 50 for the 50 production class at the Nationals.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r34/taylor14seale/AX-1-6-06-Quads0042.jpg

mxmike17
01-28-2007, 06:43 PM
:)

http://www.motoxstudios.com/MXS%2007%20Image%20Files/Laf%20ArenaX%201-6-06-Quads/images/AX-1-6-06-Quads0033.jpg

wvspeedfreak
01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Here was a picture I took not long after he started riding.

wvspeedfreak
01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Here is the quad now...

king219
01-28-2007, 07:42 PM
we have a kasea and a honda...the kasea is for sale...we will run the honda 90 this year..here is the kasea

status56
01-29-2007, 09:25 AM
1st race was on the Yamaha Breeze in 2004.
http://www.sealefuneral.com/images/Breeze2004.jpg

Then he stepped up to the Polaris Predator in 2004
http://www.sealefuneral.com/images/PolarisPredator2004.jpg

In 2005 he moved to a Team Hetrick Kasea
http://www.sealefuneral.com/images/Kasea2005.jpg

2006 he started on his 90 Mod
http://www.sealefuneral.com/images/Mod2006.jpg

And his team Hetrick TRX 90
http://www.sealefuneral.com/images/TRX902006.jpg

2007 He's on a Robb's Racing TRX 90
http://www.sealefuneral.com/images/TRX902007.jpg

mxmike17
01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
[Here is the quad now...

Looks like a total make over. Bike and rider looks fast!

Might just be me. It looks like your getting to much body roll from the front end. Does it seem tippy in the turns?

If so tighten them preload springs some. It will help the rear end slide around.

If im wrong dont mind me,lol

Bike looks sweet though.:macho

markvette
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
bubbas first ride. 90 eton txl 90. started on it when he was 7 he is now 13

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/205/205961/pages/616572/Jul14035.JPG

markvette
01-31-2007, 07:10 PM
then after breaking the frame on the 99 eton all parts were put in a chineese frame and xtreme plastic added

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/205/205961/pages/628765/BubbasNewRide.JPG

markvette
01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
then about 2 years ago the 05 viper came which we still have but is up for sale as he is moving up to a 300ex

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/205/205961/pages/853519/1000873.jpg

markvette
01-31-2007, 07:19 PM
this is him on the 300 i am building for him now. dont look like much now but it is coming together. have a room full of parts that have not been put on yet. plus 2 400ex a-arms, ported and polished head, new high compression piston, new yellow maier race cut plastic, new red flame graphic kit.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/quaddad1958/100_1220.jpg

wvspeedfreak
01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Looks like a total make over. Bike and rider looks fast!

Might just be me. It looks like your getting to much body roll from the front end. Does it seem tippy in the turns?

If so tighten them preload springs some. It will help the rear end slide around.

If im wrong dont mind me,lol

Bike looks sweet though.:macho

Thanks for the compliment.My son and I have put alot of effort into that quad.
As far as the body roll,it is mostly the picture.That turn actually drops off instead of banking up.He hit it pretty hard and it really stays pretty flat through "normal" turns.

etondaddy
02-01-2007, 09:58 AM
E-Ton all the way easy to get parts for and real dependable !!!!!!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Holeshot_rd.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/ResizeofKyle_Kozura_Collage_copy3.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/stepup.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Challenger.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/ResizeofPicture005.jpg

Thats enough sorry

mxdad423
02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by etondaddy
[B]E-Ton all the way easy to get parts for and real dependable !!!!!!

I have to agree we love our eton to, and were going to try out the Kasea in the 90 class this year.

Blazer25
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
My daughter raced a 2005 Predator 90 for 2 seasons. She raced 80 races last year alone - never once did she break down! The dependablility of that little quad was the deciding factor in building her a new one! That is why we chose to get her another Predator! It was built buy Rich Hetrick and is one quick little machine! I would recommend the Predator to anyone!