PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problems?

wpfn
08-18-2004, 01:49 PM
I just bought a used 300ex and I've been searching the threads for over an hour and havent seen anyone write about a similar problem, so here goes..

Clutch works fine and has plenty of adjustment both at the lever and above the transmission, however while stopped with the engine is running I am not able to shift into neutral, the damn thing just goes right into second no matter how easily I try to shift. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Colby@C&DRacing
08-18-2004, 08:43 PM
If the clutch is adjusted correctly then I would change the oil and see if this helps other than that you may have warped clutch plates causing it to drag, this will put pressure on the shift drum and forks causing them to go past neutral.

Striker49
08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Had the same problem. Change the oil and see what happens. I upgraded to a thicker oil and have not had a problem. :)

wpfn
08-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll try those first before replacing the clutch!

frosti108
08-19-2004, 03:01 PM
what oil is safe to use other than that atv oil i always buy. can i use sunoco's oil? just like 10-40? ive heard stuff about since ATVs have a wet clutch i can only buy certain oils for it...