PDA

View Full Version : new problem

MY450R
08-18-2004, 01:45 PM
i have a new prob with my wheeler
when it gets a little warm she idles ok but when i hit the throttle she blips out
it happens all the time now
only engine stuff i got is full exaust with lid on
any opinions on what this could be would help
chandler

MY450R
08-18-2004, 01:48 PM
actually now thaty i think about it,it did it sometimes when it was stock also.i mean it never cuts out when im in the air or anything
it is just real f ing annoying
thanks

WhiteZee
08-18-2004, 02:50 PM
may want to make sure your air screw is turned out 2.5 turns. also make sure your air filter is clean and not over oiled.

sparky450AR
08-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
may want to make sure your air screw is turned out 2.5 turns. also make sure your air filter is clean and not over oiled.

An overoiled foam filter can deffinately cause this, good advice.

lifeless
08-18-2004, 04:56 PM
its your TPS,its a safety feature every 450r on the planet dose it. if the bike is just at an idle an u crack the gas real quick it dies right? the yfz has the same prob, my buddy has one and we cut the 2 wires that go 2 the thumb throt and twisted them to gether, problem solved, im not sure about the r yet though, when i finger it out i'll let u know:cool:

Duncanracer
08-18-2004, 04:59 PM
I've hear dpeople get a FCR carb for it to get rid of the TPS....

lifeless
08-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
i have a new prob with my wheeler
when it gets a little warm she idles ok but when i hit the throttle she blips out
it happens all the time now
only engine stuff i got is full exaust with lid on
any opinions on what this could be would help
chandler

also did u re jet?

MIA450R
08-18-2004, 08:18 PM
mine does this too ... usually once, maybe twice in a day's worth of riding. seems like it started after the HRC kit install. if i turn the idle up a bit higher than norm, it doesnt do it...but then again, i am not sure if my idle was low to begin with. not sure how to accurately set 1600rpms by ear.

sethg
08-18-2004, 08:40 PM
No TPS on an R...

sparky450AR
08-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by sethg
No TPS on an R...

There is on a 450R.

BSTURDIVANT
08-19-2004, 10:25 PM
TPS on 450r is for ignition curve not for stuck throttle safety like the YFZ. Honda does't have all the safety switches built into it like the Yamaha

lifeless
08-19-2004, 10:40 PM
listen guys im a certified honda tech, the tps shuts your quad down if u crack the thot. its for dumb a*****.

86atc250r
08-20-2004, 12:10 PM
The certification process is broken if you are a "certified Honda tech".

The TPS feeds a signal to the CDI box that along with the RPM signal, maps to a table that provides a 3D timing curve for the quad. At lower throttle positions (lower engine load) the ignition is advanced, as engine load goes up (throttle is opened) the ignition advance is reduced. It works similarly to this in a car, except the TPS is not used, a MAP or MAF sensor is used to calculate engine load more accurately.

If you disconnect the TPS or otherwise remove it, you'll really know the meaning of stalling when you hit the throttle since ignition advance will be SUBSTANTIALLY reduced everywhere except full throttle.

So, in other words, removing your TPS is a VERY, VERY bad idea if you like throttle response and for your quad to run correctly.

As for the Yamaha - it has a TPS as well. It is used for the same purpose. However, the Yamaha also has the TORS system which is a safety mechanism that can cause problems.

FCR - no, people do not get an FCR to get rid of the TPS. If you get an FCR for a 450R without a TPS, you've gotten the wrong carburetor & your quad will never run to it's potential.

As for the original poster's problem -- check your mixture and idle speed. It's easy to set the idle speed too low on a YFZ or 450R, especially if you're used to the "old school" 4 strokes.

08-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

As for the original poster's problem -- check your mixture and idle speed. It's easy to set the idle speed too low on a YFZ or 450R, especially if you're used to the "old school" 4 strokes. i have mine really low like on my old 400ex....ill turn it up some...thanks