PDA

View Full Version : Air box/filter fact or Fiction

CdaleXtreme
08-18-2004, 12:23 PM
All this hype about high flow intakes, special filter kits. Aftermarket ariboxes Etc. Whats true what isnt.

I see people running 250R Filters with a special intake setup.

Sparks filters, K&N, UNI, Twin Air.

Pro-designs, pro flow intake

Lid, No Lid, Modified Lid

Aftermarket box

The truth is Almost anything will get you a power gain over the restrictive stock setup. So when companies advertise massive power gains, I garuntee they mean gains over the stock setup.

But my question is. Buy a $30 uni, or Twin air. Take off the lid. Start from there because that is the cheapest setup, for the most power.

In reality is there anything to be gained by going to a 250R filter, Pro Designs Flow Kit. Sparks filter Etc. I dont think there can really be that much of a difference. Starting from a standard after-market Foam with no Lid of course.

Any Dyno results or seat of the pants feedback would be appreciated.

benwa450r
08-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Sparks filter kit is a little pricey at approx. $50 but it includes a machined aluminum ring for filter to clamp too. Replacement filters are cheaper at $25 each. I have spare to swap out.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-18-2004, 09:13 PM
A high flow filter is a high flow filter. they all flow about the same. THe sparks filter is higher because it has a velocity stack in it.

BSTURDIVANT
08-19-2004, 10:10 PM
May not be the most expensive,since it came on your machine, but the factory filter can't be beat. Just have to can the restrictive screen! Worth 1HP over stock setup!!

Drill the 3 spotwelds out on the front and heat the epoxy with a torch and the front piece will separate. Be sure to clean and debur before using! You can also get a piece of 3" OD exhaust tubing cut to a band 3/4" wide for an insert inside the boot for the filter to clamp to. The original filter has a hole in the rear that must be filled with a dab of RTV to prevent dirt from going in.

kbass24emtp
08-19-2004, 10:31 PM
BSTURDIVANT, could you feel a seat of the pants difference before and after your mod. Also, I thought the purpose of the screen was to be a backfire protector for the foam filter. Will removing the screen hurt the filter?

CdaleXtreme
08-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Everyone here wether they leave their machine stock or not. Get rid of the Darn screen haha. It makes a good innder support ring when done like His.!!!