PDA

View Full Version : problem w/ rad carrier

wheelinguy2003
08-18-2004, 08:08 AM
has anyone else had a problem getting the wave type washer ( the thing that applies side thrust) on.? i tried from the rotor side and could not get it to push all the way in to install the rest of the pieces. i then took it off and excluded the wave washer and reassembled and seems to work fine. not going to ride it until i have more info. thanks in advance!

Pappy
08-18-2004, 09:45 AM
make certain the carrier is cleaned (outside) and the inside of the swing arm is cleaned out also. slide the carrier in and see that it is indeed fully seated.

i havent seen or heard of any problems with a RAD carrier not fitting so I suspect it shouldnt be anything major. I usually seat them with a slight tap from a rubber mallet.

wheelinguy2003
08-18-2004, 10:02 AM
so if seated....exclude the wave washer for a ride or 2... then revaluate?

Pappy
08-18-2004, 10:07 AM
i would try to use the washer...im sure its there for a reason. maybe measure the carrier to be certain they sent you the correct unit?

wheelinguy2003
08-18-2004, 10:14 AM
i think your right...they sent it for a reason...guy i bought it from is on cali time...cant get in touch with him jsut yet...i think i will disassemble and install from the sprocket side...tried briefly last night(11pm) but it was a forceful try thats why i opted the rotor side...thanks for your input!

wheelinguy2003
08-18-2004, 10:18 AM
oh...by the way...anyone else looking at rad tappered carrier bearing.... expect to lose chain adjustment... there is some...but not like stock...

08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Spray WD-40 all inside the swingarm and beat the carrier in with rubber mallet.. That's what I normally have to do...:macho

wheelinguy2003
08-18-2004, 11:07 AM
carrier bearing is in....seat is good....problem is when i put the washer in cant get the lock nuts and spline thing pushed all the way in to get the axle ring in place....without wave washer...goes to gether perfect....

Pappy
08-18-2004, 11:11 AM
i would remove the seals and make certain the bearings are seated fully. i believe last week someone had this issue and that was the cause

wheelinguy2003
08-18-2004, 11:46 AM
thanks for all your help/advise.....i should be an expert by the end of this job.....ill let you know

Greg Z
08-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by wheelinguy2003
carrier bearing is in....seat is good....problem is when i put the washer in cant get the lock nuts and spline thing pushed all the way in to get the axle ring in place....without wave washer...goes to gether perfect.... I had this problem as well..

Was or your stock carrier broken and is that why you replaced it? if it was maybe the stock carrier and some how broke and some thing got stuck on the axle. Thats the problem I had.. I was trying to put the carrier in but it wasnt fitting all the way. Untill I noticed this thing around my axle near the sprocket side.. i tapped it off with a hammer and screw driver everything fit. and put everything back. Also I reccomend the RAD LOCK NUT it works really good!

wheelinguy2003
08-20-2004, 12:10 PM
thanks for your response.....i had some scoring on my original axle and opted for a new one...but i did call the manuf. and told them the situation and they discussed it awhile and decided that the tolerance could be an issue....wouldnt admit to it but resonded with "an unlikely possiblility"....okay, whatever....final outcome is washer is not needed as long as it is not to tight which would burn up bearing and not too loose which could do a number of damaging possibilities....im riding sunday...will update if interested...