PDA

View Full Version : GNCC junior racing class

cliq20
08-17-2004, 11:24 PM
I know this has been discussed before, however I'm trying to decide which class to race in next year. I currently only race local harescrambles and finish top 5. I'm 28 and have quite a bit of woods racing experience racing open A and 4 stroke A riders that compete in the GNCC's. (the local riders practice at my place with me)

I guess I'm wondering if I should try the junior class or 4 stroke B to start out in GNCC's or if I should try the 25-32 AM C race. I know what I probably should do but I'm not sure I want to start a race with 80 other riders that really range in experience from A to C-.

I dont' want to get smoked but I also don't want to tear up my quad (and myself) because joe shmoe C rider is an idiot and rides completely out of control and over his head into me.

I guess I'm really wanting to know why there's a Junior class and why it runs in the afternoon.

Also, will it help in getting sponsors which class I run in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry if this has been talked about before.

bradley300
08-18-2004, 12:01 AM
junior class is 25 plus and is a a/b class, pro's can drop to junior and also some up and coming riders use junior as a step between there previos class and A, so there's lots of talent there.

cliq20
08-18-2004, 12:03 AM
guess it's kind of wierd that they name it "junior" class. probably still more talent in the "stock" class though?

cdalejef
08-18-2004, 07:13 AM
The member on here named rowlrag is the junior class champion from last year and finished 49th overall for the year, this year he is running 4 stroke A and is currently ranked 27th overall if that gives you an idea of the speed of riders in that class.

08-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Usually the Junior class is a faster than B but not as fast as the A classes. This year I think for the most part both the Jr and Sr class has been just as fast (at least the top guys) as the 4stroke A class. With open A being a little faster. Last year 4 stroke A was by far the fastest non pro class. So it kinda changes from year to year!

cliq20
08-18-2004, 08:22 AM
thanks guys. i knew they would probably be fast. most are in the PM race. being a "junior" class just throws you off. I guess I just needed to know if I raced it I could keep up with the upper 50% of the class or if I would get my doors smoked off.

I feel like I'm fast but without racing too many GNCC's it's hard to tell.

Should I look at 4 Stroke B or any AM race harder or should I stick with looking into the Junior class still?

I know I could try it first but if I try to get sponsors and move to a class that I didn't say I was going to race, would that make a difference?

cdalejef
08-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Go to the GNCC site and look at the results. Look for people that you normally race with in your local series and see how they do overall in the GNCC series. That should give you a good start on choosing a class.

Allen
08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
I ran the four stroke C class last year for most of the season and done pretty decent....took wood home all but two races then jumped to the junior class at St. Clairsville and got my *** smoked. There is a lot of talent and big money quads in that class

cliq20
08-18-2004, 12:24 PM
looks like 4 stroke B is a class that finishes lower than the juniors. i think right now with my experience and money in my quad i could probably finish middle to top of that class. (judging by who i race against locally)

i guess this really stems from writing a resume for sponsors. it may be a shot in the dark to get sponsorships with little organized race experience, but i'm going to try.

if i'm undecided on a class will that effect sponsor's willingness to work with me? or should I put down a class and then change accordingly next year? would that hurt me in the long run?

i'm sure i'm fast enough to compete but if they've got 15K in a quad there's a limit as to what i can afford. i've only got 8K in mine. there's a difference somewhere. i don't want to get over my head.

cdalejef
08-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Having alot of money in a quad doesn't make you a winner. Most of it is in your head. The only major thing that you need on your bike to go fast in XC is good quality suspension.

08-18-2004, 12:43 PM
The money thing is so true two years ago I had an old beat up 99 ex with only a few mods nothing fancy at all. tht year I consistantly placed in the top ten in the 4 stroke modified class (now 4 stroke A). the next year I bought a brand new ex and dropped about 19 grand in it and finihsed about half the races and the ones I did finish were not that good of results!!!!

Braff1
08-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Cliq, If you look at lap times betweent he C classes and the B classes in the afternoon you will see how close your upper c classes tives are to that of B class. Don't underestemate the C classes, there are some fast riders in them. From what I have seen of your riding you would do good in C or B class.

cliq20
08-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Having alot of money in a quad doesn't make you a winner. Most of it is in your head. The only major thing that you need on your bike to go fast in XC is good quality suspension.

yeah, i know what you mean, but at that level doesn't it help to even out the playing field a little? i know it's 80-90% rider but sometimes what you do with that 10-20% can make a little difference?

i play softball too and it's amazing how hard it is to hit a ball moving 2 mph. it's a head game too.

all about confidence and using your riding smarts. smart riders are the best riders. IMO

would i be ok if i just had you (Jeff) revalve my stock YFZ shocks and put the elka oil or spring for a set of elka's? i mean is it worth THAT much to have a set of elka's.

cliq20
08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
Cliq, If you look at lap times betweent he C classes and the B classes in the afternoon you will see how close your upper c classes tives are to that of B class. Don't underestemate the C classes, there are some fast riders in them. From what I have seen of your riding you would do good in C or B class.

as long as i can get the practice seat time to keep the endurance up. :)

when y'all gonna have time to come practice at my place? Lil had been talking about it.

cdalejef
08-18-2004, 01:49 PM
What kind of quad do you ride?

Braff1
08-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Cliq, I would be free this weekend but I have the Predator in the shop adn TQS has Lils working on it. We are racing next weekend up at Haspin again. I think they are racing at Bedford that same weekend. I wish they could alter days so that they didn't run the same day, I like running up at Bedford.

cliq20
08-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
Cliq, I would be free this weekend but I have the Predator in the shop adn TQS has Lils working on it. We are racing next weekend up at Haspin again. I think they are racing at Bedford that same weekend. I wish they could alter days so that they didn't run the same day, I like running up at Bedford.

yeah, last time it was a better track. they ran it backwards. i had to run the prairie because the YFZ was in the shop for the starter. next year is supposed to be better. they're gonna try to have them at least around the haspin races. they may even have a couple of the races at my place and split the buggies and quads/bikes up into different weekends. next weekend is a short track race - i'm not a big MX fan. I love the woods and if there's a MX track in the mix, I'll deal with it.

Let me know when you get free, this weekend wouldn't have worked anyway because I'm putting on a softball tournament for the american heart association and sunday is the state district 15 championship.

Jeff - I've got a YFZ450 and I've emailed you a couple of times about redoing my shocks this winter. either from cliq20@dmrtc.net or ebennett@bkd.com . i can't remember which.