PDA

View Full Version : 450r plastic?

400exracer08
08-17-2004, 09:05 PM
on the 450r the front fender plastic bolt that is in the gas tank as any one had a problem getting it out. All mine does is spin and spin. Please help?

450R_lover
08-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Mine does the same thing, i still havent figured out how to get it out.. Mines the one on the top right of the gas tank.. it sucks.
Please help us

timscherer
08-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,

I had the same problem with mine. The bolt was tightened too tight which causes the 1/2" square insert that is molded inside the plastic tank to spin. The threaded 1/2" square insert is molded inside the plastic and does not have enough support to hold when the bolt is removed from insert. The only way to remove the bolt is to take a flat head screwdriver and support it against the flat side of the square insert until the bolt is removed. You may have to try other options if this does not work. You should not have to worry about piercing a hole through the tank, the plastic wall thickness is very thick in that area.

Good Luck,
Tim

dunebuggie66
08-18-2004, 08:25 AM
mine did the same thing, when i got it out i then put apoxy (sp?) around the insert to hold it in. now i don't tighten it so much. it holds fine and i have my plastic off at least once a week.

CdaleXtreme
08-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Over tightening there, is a definite nono. hahah. Dont use an electric impact or anything of the sort. Tighten them to snug by hand with a 1/4 ratchet, and check them every ride. XC and long distance riders may want to used a little medium strength loctice. It will help lubritcate the threads so no seizing happens + will hold in place more firmly.

LOL ive seen so many people put about 3 times the amount of tourqe required on those little 8mm bolts. They sure take a beating!:D

BIGBLOCKBILL
08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
I got mine out by first pulling the fender off over the bolt,be careful and will return to it's original shape. Now you can take a pair of vise-grips and hold the fender washer. Turn the bolt and it should come loose.

kssandduner
08-18-2004, 05:25 PM
For awhile there I thought I was the only one that had that problem!! I still haven't been able to get the bolt out, we've tried the screwdriver method and the vice grips with no luck. What holds that dang insert in there?? We tried pulling the insert out, but no luck there either. We figured we could expoxy it back in there if we could get it out. The worst part is that the stealership is the one that overtightened the bolt, and they won't stand behing their crappy mechanic work!!

Joe

400exracer08
08-19-2004, 12:40 PM
I got mine out by first pulling the fender off over the bolt,be careful and will return to it's original shape. Now you can take a pair of vise-grips and hold the fender washer. Turn the bolt and it should come loose.

That is what did and it works great i tried all the other way and it did not work. I even called the dealership and they said that they had no idea. Just be carefull removing the plast go from the top down and it will work fine, do not sit and just spin the insert it will strip the plastic. That was the way that works the best Good luck to everyone with this suckie problem!!