PDA

View Full Version : Things to clean after muddy trail ride

440ex2001
08-17-2004, 06:02 PM
I was wondering what things I need to take special care as far as cleaning, greasing or oiling on my 400 after a muddy trail ride. I cleaned it off good but now im hearing lots squeaks and dirt grinding.

Meeso
08-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Good question. I have been riding in lots of mud too and now the front shocks are squeaking. Should I pull the shock off and clean/grease the mounts? Using WD40 on the rest (cables and pivot points). Nothing with rubber or plastic near by to dry out though

red2004 TRX450R
08-20-2004, 01:29 PM
I found a quick way to clean a muddy quad.
Just hose off
then mix 50/50 liquid laundry detergent with water in a spray bottal.
spray on and let set cuple min, and hose off..

I do this when im in a hurry. dont like to leave bike all muddy.

works like a charm.

08-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
I found a quick way to clean a muddy quad.
Just hose off
then mix 50/50 liquid laundry detergent with water in a spray bottal.
spray on and let set cuple min, and hose off..

I do this when im in a hurry. dont like to leave bike all muddy.

works like a charm.

Not just any but Wisk like in the pic below works really well. Spray down your chain with wd-40 after you spray it off also.

Meeso
08-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Be careful of using the WD-40 if you have the Rubber o-ring type chain. I understand that it has a tendency to dry the rubber out and cause premature wear.
I have just been oiling mine down with clean 10W30 motor oil (just from an oil can) after a wash, and letting it drip off into a pan. After all the junk drips off (you'd be supprised how much garbage goes into solution with just motor oil), then I use a chain wax that is OK for use with O-ring type chains.
Please let me know out there if anyone has heard of a problem doing it this way.