PDA

View Full Version : Engine gurus help! I think it's done.

redroost85
08-17-2004, 04:42 PM
(closes eyes, winces, crosses fingers)Ok, I'll try to give as much info as I can.

I was out play riding for about 2-3 hours of and on. I went to hit the step up and my friend yelled to shut it down. Smoke was going everywhere. I immediatley did this. Oil was coming out from the top of the engine pretty good. From the time the smoke appeared till I shut it off was about 5 seconds. I am assuming the smoke was from the oil hitting the headpipe.

Since then I have hosed off the plastics, nerfs, tires, etc....not the motor though. My motor has run flawlessly until today.

I have not started it since.

The motor is an 02 400ex, bone stock, except for Uni and full Yoshi. The oil is 0w/40 Amsoil.

Please help....I'm hoping for something small..but nothing with me ever is.:o This is officially the first motor I have ever really messed up...ahhh, my streak has ended.:( Thanks in advance guys, if you need more info I'll try my best.

Bill Fuller
08-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a blown head gasket or maybe a stud has pulled out or a bolt has vibrated loose.No biggie take the plastic off and inspect it good and I'm sure it will stand right out.

seven
08-17-2004, 06:02 PM
I agree with above

fyffe23
08-17-2004, 07:55 PM
is it empty on oil? i never hardly checked my oil and i learned the hard way..

redroost85
08-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.:)

Thank goodness it isn't sounding too major....I just got all my shocks redone and the funds are...how do we say?.....not there for a rebuild.;)

I'll take any other ideas the engine gurus might have too.:)

jaspurx
08-17-2004, 09:39 PM
If you have done nothing yet , clean the engine and the surroundin components real well , then check the oil. You will probably need to top it off , if not fill it. Get a fan that blows good air flow , ( borrow it if you do not have one , don`t buy it) place it right in front of the quad , and turn it on full speed. Start the engine , and look to see if you can see it leaking. You only need it to run a few seconds. It should show up that fast if it is what you have been told so far. There are a few other simple posibles , but it should show up this way.

Let us know.

redroost85
08-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, that's an idea. I'll let you all know what I find after I rip into'er after work tomorrow.:)

Any other thoughts?

stupid driver
08-17-2004, 10:45 PM
sounds like a blown head gasket to me. Same thing happend a couple of years ago with mine. Oil just started goin everywhere.

redroost85
08-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey stupid....driver.:blah:

Did you replace it with an OEM Honda one or an aftermarket one? How much did that run you? Also, how much of a pita was it to put on the new gasket?

Sorry so many questions, but I'd like to get an idea before I start the job. Thanks bud.:)

redroost85
08-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Well, I just got done going over it and it was not what I had expected...in a good sort of way I guess.

The PEP dampner, the bolt that snugs up the hold on the stem has been apparently been rubbing away at the crankcase breather hose for awhile. It pulled it far enough away to disconnect the hose from the top end of the motor....hence the oil everywhere.:o

So, it looks like just a new breather hose and a healthy amount of Gunk engine cleaner and it should be good to go.....hopefully.

Thanks for all the help guys.;)

jaspurx
08-18-2004, 09:02 PM
So how good did you feel when you found that? I told you it could be something other than the expensive posibles.

I`m glad it did not hurt the engine either.

redroost85
08-19-2004, 08:07 AM
I'll admit it felt pretty good that that was all I found.:o

I'm hoping this is all there is to this bit of excitement.

Probably tomorrow I'll be able to go down to the Honda shop and educate them on what I need.....they still won't understand me...then they'll probably have to 'order' it.:huh Yes, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed.:o

jaspurx
08-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Why don`t you point us to a competent dealership , We all know about the ones that do not know how a tire works!